Poll: Is 'omg my neighbours are so gay' homophobic?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes, definitely
13.41%
11 13.41%
No, of course not
76.83%
63 76.83%
Not sure
9.76%
8 9.76%
Total 82 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

What do you consider homophobic?
(11-03-2015, 04:58 PM)Nuka Wrote:
(11-03-2015, 04:55 PM)Zerdrick Wrote:
(11-03-2015, 04:46 PM)Nuka Wrote: If they're actually gay then of course you're not being homophobic; unless you have a problem with gay people. Although, the 'gay can mean happy' excuse is bullshit, it hasn't been used in that way for at least 40 years so don't bring that up.

Of course, that doesn't mean it's okay to say 'You're gay lol!'. It just means that if you're just joking about it's foyne

A lot of people still use older words such as me. I always use "whilst" even though it is hardly said anymore, I just cant use "while". Saying that he could have used it to mean "happy" isn't crazy.

Whilst rather than while definitely doesn't compare to happy vs gay. There is virtually no difference between the words you used as an example. Both mean exactly the same thing, are basically said the same and nearly spelled the same. However, gay has COMPLETELY died out when it comes to meaning happy. You'll get weird looks saying "I'm so gay today", but no one will question someone using 'whilst'.

Don't give me some homophobic bullshit.

How was that homophobic, I stated that using older words isn't a crime just because they aren't used very often. I agree that whilst/while isn't a great example but you understand the point I was making.
[Image: XLnyw5R.jpg]
Edward John Smith is my idol!
Some say that the Titanic would be a sinking ship, but it just left the criticizers at dock and hit an iceberg.

Original signature idea made by Grub edited to fit my account (Added this to abide by forum rule 3e.)
[Image: qjdWFno.png]
[Image: Sq3ykUe.png]

we had a good gathering until it was murdered :(
[Image: nypdcruiser.gif]
The following 6 users Like goigle!'s post:
  • DVN, Random, Awestruck, mgdwszx, Emil, Ivan Tempski
Hitman is the real fu ck ing homobhobe, perm ban him someone
thank you 4 new voters
thank you to all who are still voting
In my opinion, that sounds to me as just a joke and doesn't sound to me like it was said in a contemptuous way. Where I come from people say stuff like that all the time. I think when someone is being Homophobic it's when they are being hateful towards gay and being down right rude to them.
(11-03-2015, 05:16 PM)Midget Wrote: The only reason I support homosexuals is because they halt over-population.
I must admit I find this a little offensive. While it may be true and you're entitled to your own opinion I think saying this was a bit unnecessary.

One another note, what he said not homophobic. He was mearly pointing out the fact that his neighbours were gay, there is nothing offensive in that statement. While I disagree with some people who say we need to lighten up a bit we do need to stop punishing people for taking about the subject. I believe that it is a good thing that players are mentioning this sort of thing on the server and elsewhere. Even if some people incorporated this into their roleplays or has other forms of LGBT characters.
(03-20-2016, 10:57 PM)chopchop1614 Wrote: One another note, what he said not homophobic. He was mearly pointing out the fact that his neighbours were gay, there is nothing offensive in that statement. While I disagree with some people who say we need to lighten up a bit we do need to stop punishing people for taking about the subject. I believe that it is a good thing that players are mentioning this sort of thing on the server and elsewhere. Even if some people incorporated this into their roleplays or has other forms of LGBT characters.

thank you for your support both of you
Alright: so let me leave my 2¢ here...

No, I do not view the phrase itself as being Homophobic, however it could be perceived by some as such due to the wording.

For example, if the player was more clear on what he meant and said "they are having sex in the room next to mine" in addition to his comment, then it would have been more clear.

However, whether he used that or not, it should not be considered homophobic as he is not discriminating. If he said "my roommates are so gay and i hate it omg" it would be a different story.

However because he did not say that he hates it, then it is not homophobic. Simple as, IMO.
Regards,
Reebs
Veteran

[Image: zeVtdhR.png]
(03-21-2016, 01:59 AM)Reebs Wrote: Alright: so let me leave my 2¢ here...

No, I do not view the phrase itself as being Homophobic, however it could be perceived by some as such due to the wording.

For example, if the player was more clear on what he meant and said "they are having sex in the room next to mine" in addition to his comment, then it would have been more clear.

I agree 100%, my issue is that with the fact the chat text length limit was too small for me to say that in one message, the OOC cooldown (at the time you could not send two messages instantly) and the fact I was blacklisted before I could even say another thing to add context to what I said.