Rule change
(08-12-2015, 11:44 AM)DVN Wrote: In all honesty I don't see how not being able to disrespect someone IC affects you all so bad? Sure you can't call anyone the 'N' word or 'gay' but you can still RP? it hardly limits us, people have played for years without that ability fine and that's the way it's gone back to.

Can we just settle at Rape, Discrimination and Racism are all as bad as each other and leave them banned.

When the restrictions on discrimination in IC were loosened it seemed like the community was finally being trusted to roleplay discrimination with maturity, which in 99% of situations it was. The decision to add the rule was discussed was done so with a lot of discussion with the old admin team and as soon as most of the previous admins were off the team it's been removed just because SoulRipper's personal opinion is that he doesn't like it, not because it was abused or people complained about any language being used.
It was not yet abused. If it was abused, there's nothing we could've done about it, because it was allowed.

If you want to be racist, then FL is not the place to go. Simple as that. There's another alternative available nowadays.
[Image: get.php?s=STEAM_0:1:15472195&b=9]
Make your own dynamic signature by clicking here.
The following 1 user Likes SoulRipper's post:
  • Smile
(08-12-2015, 11:59 AM)SoulRipper Wrote: It was not yet abused. If it was abused, there's nothing we could've done about it, because it was allowed.

If you want to be racist, then FL is not the place to go. Simple as that. There's another alternative available nowadays.

Part of the rule stated "do not do this to excess or if it doesn’t fit your character’s roleplay", so yes you could've done something about it if it was abused...Instead you merely got rid of the rule and the trust given to players to use it maturely in their roleplaying.

A couple of quotes from the staff statement on this rule when it was first announced.

Quote:FL is a make-believe environment, and as such we shouldn’t be hyper-sensitive about discrimination at the cost of creative freedom. The new rule allows creative freedom, which many other games/movies/etc. also allow;

Quote:Also, we’re well aware that some people may take things to excess, hence the rule was written specifically to allow moderate amounts of discrimination in an in-character manner only; excessive IC discrimination – or any in OOC – will not be tolerated.

Quote:In response to those who’ve called us racist or bigots, just because the majority of the team agreed on this rule doesn’t mean that we’re racist or are promoting racism, as some of you are claiming. It simply allows more creative freedom in role-play, and it is up to the individual to decide whether or not discrimination is a part of that; there are also likely to be IC consequences for these actions. Many games/movies/books/songs contain discrimination not just as a side-note, but as a central topic. Many of you complaining also continue to play games such as GTAV and Skyrim, both of which contain themes of discrimination, racism, and sexism. Much like on FL, the developers releasing these games have received criticism from a few loud voices regarding this, yet kept it in the game in order to enhance the story – this is a prime example of creative freedom, something we as a team support. To do otherwise would be hypocrisy.
I honestly think this should be closed then. It's causing un-needed drama. Just a huge looping circle going nowhere, it's not going to be changed clearly and as Soul said there are other servers for them to play on if they feel like using any of the above language.
The following 2 users Like DVN's post:
  • ItzMitcheey, Baskingner
How about we realise that it was a rule in a virtual game.

Sandstorms brew to much on this forum.
Ex-Server Teacher
The following 2 users Like Bradley's post:
  • ItzMitcheey, Flares
(08-12-2015, 12:09 PM)DVN Wrote: Soul said there are other servers for them to play on if they feel like using any of the above language.

Yup, Soul has made it clear that his own opinions matter more than that of the community.
It's a shame that players can't be trusted with certain creative freedoms because of this.
Well it shouldn't be a rule but an act off common sense.
You shouldn't use Racism, sexism and discrimination at all anyways, just because you are on a computer it doesn't mean you have to disrespect someone in game or IRL.
You can be arrested/fined for it in IRL, so drop the crap of being so immature.
(08-12-2015, 12:38 PM)ItzMitcheey Wrote: Well it shouldn't be a rule but an act off common sense.
You shouldn't use Racism, sexism and discrimination at all anyways, just because you are on a computer it doesn't mean you have to disrespect someone in game or IRL.
You can be arrested/fined for it in IRL, so drop the crap of being so immature.

No you can't.... what are you talking about? We have freedom of speech for a reason. If I yell Ni**er at someone IRL a cop isn't going to arrest or fine me... He is just going to say "hey man is that necessary" Which it probably wasn't.
The following 1 user Likes Rolorox's post:
  • GRiiM
Ugh Rolorox im done with you saying what i do and dont understand, you dont get to decide that for me bud. I get the feeling that you dont understand that people might sometimes disagree with you on certain topics.

And just saying, defending racism with freedom of speech makes you look very, very bad in my eyes.
(08-12-2015, 11:44 AM)DVN Wrote: In all honesty I don't see how not being able to disrespect someone IC affects you all so bad? Sure you can't call anyone the 'N' word or 'gay' but you can still RP? it hardly limits us, people have played for years without that ability fine and that's the way it's gone back to.

Can we just settle at Rape, Discrimination and Racism are all as bad as each other and leave them banned.

No, I'm not willing to settle with your premise that rape, discrimination and racism are "all as bad as each other". Rape is way, way, a thousand times worse. I genuinely don't understand why people can equate one with the other. It's like saying "You know what's bad? Littering in the park. It's like murdering someone".

I'm willing to accept, however, that this rule has now been changed, and I'll respect the change. I just think it's an incredibly unwise move.