EvoCity Newspaper - Gun ownership increases violent crime in EvoCity: Study
Gun ownership increases violent crime in EvoCity: Study

[Image: oMQPXAX.jpg]

Higher ownership of guns in EvoCity has been linked to more violent crimes and overall homicides, according to a new study by researchers at EvoUniversity.

Firearm assaults were 6.8 times more common in EC states with the most guns versus states with the least, said study researcher Michael Monuteaux, an epidemiologist and professor of paediatrics at EvoMedical School.

Quote:
"We found no support for the hypothesis that owning more guns leads to a drop or a reduction in violent crime, instead, we found the opposite,"
"This study suggests that it's really hard to find evidence that where there are more guns, there are less crimes, but you can easily find evidence that where there are a lot more guns, there are a lot more gun crimes," 

- Monuteaux

Numerous studies have found that gun ownership is directly associated with gun-related homicides, and homicide by gun is the most common type of homicide in EvoCity. Over the last 30 years, gun ownership levels correlated with firearm homicides, such that the higher the gun ownership rate, the higher the firearm homicide rate.

Guns are owned by nearly one in three citizens and many of those people are part of a "social gun culture" that includes hunters and gun club members, a new survey has found. A separate investigation also discovered that more access to guns means more firearm homicides.

About 79 percent of citizens own one or more of the estimated 300 million firearms in private hands in EvoCity, university researchers found. In 2014, there were 16,121 total homicides and 21,175 suicides by firearms in the city.

Conclusion

It's possible that people stockpile guns in response to higher levels of crime. The researchers tried to tease out whether this was the case by testing whether gun ownership levels were a prerequisite for crime or a response to higher crime levels. Though they still couldn't prove causation, they did find that higher gun ownership levels preceded crime increases, not the other way around.

It doesn’t make sense to encourage more gun carrying for self-defense if this leads to more violent crime. Ninety percent of Americans want universal background checks for the nation and other sensible gun-control measures. Safety and democratic values will be promoted when the people demand that such action be taken. We can’t stop all the mass killings or homicides, but sensible gun control can help.

Contact me via PM if you have any interesting stories!

Hit me a +Rep if you enjoyed the article.
The following 1 user Likes Lord Octagon's post:
  • Sirrus
Great thread, Oct! Though I would say it's more of an opinion piece than a real study due to the fact that you only have one source. :-)

I would really like to see more of people's events, clan wars and small passive rpes if possible.

Best Regards
(07-27-2015, 05:42 AM)Davidson Wrote: Great thread, Oct! Though I would say it's more of an opinion piece than a real study due to the fact that you only have one source. :-)

I would really like to see more of people's events, clan wars and small passive rpes if possible.

Best Regards

Thanks for the advice, Davidson. I'll see if I can report on those in my next articles.