FL Debates #1: Gun Control
(07-02-2015, 06:42 PM)Goigle Wrote:
(07-02-2015, 12:30 AM)Davidson Wrote: Alright so.

1. About not being alone, as I stated before armed victims has a bigger chance of dying than those who do not in a robbery. The robber isn't some evil man who just robs to hurt people. No statistics shows that's it's likely a drug addict that just wants to get his next high. He will likely not hurt anyone that isn't a threat to him.

2. You start talking about the second amendment. Even as Im not an american, I have to tell you that you're wrong, the second amendment wasn't made to rebel foreign attackers or invaders, but instead to make sure that the public can keep the government in check by having the exact same firepower as the military. One problem though.. it was written  in the times where muskets was the main weapon. Apply the second amendment correctly today and that would mean that everyone should have their own drones. Which I at least do not agree with.

1. Show me some statistics please, because in Florida stats have shown concealed carry lowered the violent crime rate

2. I said that, defense against a tyrannical government. I didn't mean a foreign one, I meant should the US government become tyrannical but I was very vague I guess.
The second amendment isn't about having "the exact same firepower as the military." Britain had massive warships, the colonists did not. Also, the colonists had to keep weapons in their home to defend themselves from sudden British attack which is what I was referring to in my previous post.

1. I'm questing when you are talking about Florida stats your are referring to the CPRC report so here is a good link that criticised that repiry. it.http://m.mic.com/articles/93331/no-concealed-carry-permits-do-not-result-in-a-lower-murder-rate

About my statistics, I have been referring to this one:
https://www.google.com.kh/url?sa=t&sourc...EJdbrHn1ig

It's shows that if you resist the robber with a weapon the robbery is more likely to fail, however there is also a bigger chance of  of getting injured. 

2. Apologies, I misunderstood your original point then.
[Image: pew-pew-pew-merica.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes Roachy's post:
  • slicedhomos
I love my AR15.
The following 1 user Likes Preditor's post:
  • goigle!
Shooting is fun, that's my argument. Regarding self defense, In mid-January some pint-sized meth addict broke into our house at 4 AM while me and my family were asleep. None of us woke up, and he made off with one of our bikes and a 25kg bag of diving equipment. In the end he got arrested by the police and we got our stuff back, but I sometimes consider what would've happened if the break-in had woken me up and if I'd of grabbed out my shotgun in time to catch him in our garage.
Most safes are relatively fast to open these days, since they can be fingerprint scanners or keys or electric keypads. I agree with a waiting period and background checks, but ultimately people will do what they want. I think that education is the best way to go about solving some of the issues with gun control. Educate them when they're young about the rights and responsibilities carried by having something like the second amendment in our country, and the consequences which are carried with malicious intent of this right. If someone is convicted of a felony or crime with their firearm, they can no longer own one legally, and lose possession of any and all firearms in their custody.
The question of fully automatic firearms which I believe Jeffereys brought up in his comedy, is that they are even harder to get. You need to send an amount of money to the ATF along with a ton of forms and fingerprints as you go through a background check not preceding ten months. Then there's the deal of actually buying an automatic. They haven't been manufactured for civilian use in this country since 1986, which means that they can cost an upwards of $10,000 and more for a law-abiding citizen to purchase. Sometimes they're completely illegal, in states such as California or Conneticut.
One other thing about the constitution is that the founding fathers knew that the country would change in their beliefs and technology, which is why they made room for additional amendments/changes to the constitution. There was no exception in the amendment about the right to keep and bear arms, the purpose being to protect oneself from all enemies, foreign and domestic; and to prevent government atrocities.
"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass."
- Isoroku Yamamoto, Marshal Admiral and Commander-in-Chief of the Imperial Japanese Navy 1901–1943
Anyway, just my two cents.
[Image: 242dge9.jpg]

Jericho 'Toxic' McAndrews: F.I.I.D: SD: 7332
FUMUKU International: Security Division

“The highest distinction is service to others.”
(07-03-2015, 02:50 AM)Davidson Wrote: 1. I'm questing when you are talking about Florida stats your are referring to the CPRC report so here is a good link that criticised that repiry. it.http://m.mic.com/articles/93331/no-concealed-carry-permits-do-not-result-in-a-lower-murder-rate

About my statistics, I have been referring to this one:
https://www.google.com.kh/url?sa=t&sourc...EJdbrHn1ig

It's shows that if you resist the robber with a weapon the robbery is more likely to fail, however there is also a bigger chance of  of getting injured.
I wasn't specifically talking about the CPRC report as that is for the entire country, I was specifically talking about Florida. I haven't read the CPRC so it may be in fact flawed, I was just talking about raw statistics in Florida. It might be a case of correlation not equating to causation but pretty soon after CCW was passed in Florida, the violent crime rate went down.

I haven't read the full report yet but I think it's common sense that if you pull a gun on an armed robber that you're more likely to get injured. I think if anything people should be more cautious and use their intuition. If the robber just wants their wallet and doesn't look like he's going to kill you, give it to him and call the police (or shoot him while he is leaving if he doesn't find your gun). If the guy looks crazy and like he wants your wallet and your life then you should act.
[Image: nypdcruiser.gif]
The following 1 user Likes goigle!'s post:
  • Davidson
Keep in mind if he's leaving after you gave him your wallet and you shoot him in the back, you didn't shoot him in self defense and could face felony homicide charges.
[Image: 242dge9.jpg]

Jericho 'Toxic' McAndrews: F.I.I.D: SD: 7332
FUMUKU International: Security Division

“The highest distinction is service to others.”
(07-04-2015, 02:36 AM)Toxic Wrote: Keep in mind if he's leaving after you gave him your wallet and you shoot him in the back, you didn't shoot him in self defense and could face felony homicide charges.

Get behind cover and blast him to the next dimension. Or say "hey" and when he turns around, have your weapon pointed at him; if he tries to make a move, blast him to dimension after that.
(07-04-2015, 02:36 AM)Toxic Wrote: Keep in mind if he's leaving after you gave him your wallet and you shoot him in the back, you didn't shoot him in self defense and could face felony homicide charges.
Yeah shooting him probably isn't the best idea depending on where you live.
He is still committing a crime by possessing a weapon (even if he previously legally possessed the weapon, he is considered to be illegally possessing a weapon now). I don't know if that counts as a forcible felony or not but if it does then you are within your right to shoot him, but it's iffy. It's probably just best to call the police after that.
[Image: nypdcruiser.gif]
Honestly, it's such an enjoyable hobby if nothing else. It's hard to understand if you don't live in a place where guns are commonplace. Could there possibly be better checks? Maybe, but I'm not convinced simply adding more background checks is going to change anything. If not having guns works for you, that's fine. But getting most Americans to willingly disarm? That will be a tougher sell, especially in rural communities.
In my state, in order to get a firearm you do have to submit to a background check. Not to mention, you have to have a permit to conceal a weapon on your person. To get the permit you must have gone through classes on how to effectively use your firearm. I do believe understanding how to use your firearm is very important, and everyone who buys one should \take some kind of class to understand at the least how their firearm works, preferably with learning how to use it safely and effectively.. Of course, I'm sure most people who would break into a house would probably turn tail and run if they heard the sound of a shotgun racking. ?

Either way, don't punish the law-abiding citizen for the actions of a few deranged individuals.
With all due respect,

Trevor Jackson

[Image: ActualSig.jpg]