Favourite Programming Language
Any advice for anyone who wants to start learning these languages?

Where to start and all that?
Anyone who knows Lua got any tips on how to start?
Mustang: http://www.lua.org/pil/1.html 

go there, learn the basics, fuck around with it a little.

My favourite languages are: PHP, MySQL, HTML & Javascript.
The following 1 user Likes Roachy's post:
  • Mustang
Lua - First language I learnt
Python - Did it for two years
Java, HTML & PHP - Lad Languages
C, C# - Other lad languages

#Nuff Said
Ex-Server Teacher
Lua  (gmod stuff)
PHP  (websites)
Javascript  (websites)
C#  (games)
Alright, let me actually answer your question.
If you want to start learning to code, start with Javascript. It will let you go right into application of code. 
If you want to start with the easy and work your way up to Java, C, or other languages, you're going to want to learn Ruby or Python. A good resource for this is codeacademy.com. It is free, and pretty thorough. Another you may want to learn early is PHP.
After you learn either or both of these, you can pick an "advanced language." As you'll find, most code has similarities, so if you learn one, it will be easier to learn the rest, and that is why I have it in quotes.
The basic rule of thumb is: 
Websites: CSS, HTML, and MAYBE Java. Maybe.
Game design or 3D Rendering: C/C++
Hardware usage within a PC: ^
You don't really want to do anything above that, unless you have an applied mathematics degree.
HERE IS A HELPFUL INFO-GRAPHIC!
[Image: which-programming-language-should-i-lear...raphic.png]
I personally suggest going the route of websites. It allows you to do the most with the least amount of work or practice. Start with Javascript, Ruby, PHP, or Python. Also, if you decide you want a career with coding, Python makes dough.
Lua is a special language. I suggest learning this one later. It is fun to mess around with.
PS: My favorites are C and Java.
The following 1 user Likes LoneWolf's post:
  • Nyander
If you're familiar with at least one programming language I recommend the http://learnxinyminutes.com/ site. It has a nice and quick rundown on the features and syntax for many languages. If you don't know which language to learn and you don't want to invest too much time in 'hello world' tutorials I definitely recommend checking it out.

(06-20-2015, 10:59 PM)Mustang Wrote: Anyone who knows Lua got any tips on how to start?
If the above applies to you, Mustang, check out the Lua page here: http://learnxinyminutes.com/docs/lua/
I'm currently in the process for learning C++, and really enjoy coding in it for the most part.
With all due respect,

Trevor Jackson

[Image: ActualSig.jpg]
Use codeacademy if you want to learn.

I'll have to say Lua, it's pretty simple once you grasp the basic concepts.
Kind Regards,
Wood.
(06-21-2015, 10:44 PM)Wood Wrote: Use codeacademy if you want to learn.

I'll have to say Lua, it's pretty simple once you grasp the basic concepts.
do u lik derma? Cheese
Yours
Doctor Internet;

Developer, Systems Operator,
Data Protection Officer, Business Advisor,
Server Administrator, Community Moderator