Im going to die soon!!
(06-11-2015, 02:30 PM)Roachy Wrote: False, experience gets you work.

Grades don't really matter anymore, sure they contribute slightly. But not as much as work experience.

Not entirely true... experience gets you work in less skilled fields. Education gets you jobs in skilled fields like medicine, engineering etc. Obviously experience is valuable but not always necessary. I can speak for the aviation career where experience isn't always required to get a job with large airlines - they take on people just coming out of training.

(06-11-2015, 11:26 AM)GeorgeTheBoy Wrote: Depends, most employers look at degrees more than school results as unless, let's say, you're planning on becoming a biologist, they won't care that you got an A* in biology. Same goes for other subjects. Core subjects such as English and Maths are actually important but most others aren't.

Degrees show you not only have an interest in a particular field but that you also understand it to a certain level. That's all employers want to see - well, along with experience of course.

And you need a prerequisite to getting university degrees, which tend to start at GCSE. You need A*/As at A Level to get into many top level universities so to brush off school qualifications isn't necessarily a good thing. We both agree that it entirely depends on your field and what you want to do in life, but being consistent and getting good grades in GCSE and A Level undoubtedly help.

As above, I can speak for the aviation side of things which isn't too different from many other careers. Many airlines and even the RAF will look at GCSE and A Level results to distinguish the best from the average. If you did bad at GCSE and average at A Level, in such a competitive environment you're not going to succeed. It's preferred to have a degree to work at an airline, but that's more of a "fall back" option in case in 10 years down the line you fail your class 1 medical or something.

Just take exams easy, they aren't everything but they are important.
Regards,
aviator
The following 1 user Likes aviator's post:
  • Dauntless
(06-11-2015, 03:42 PM)aviator Wrote:
(06-11-2015, 02:30 PM)Roachy Wrote: False, experience gets you work.

Grades don't really matter anymore, sure they contribute slightly. But not as much as work experience.

Not entirely true... experience gets you work in less skilled fields. Education gets you jobs in skilled fields like medicine, engineering etc. Obviously experience is valuable but not always necessary. I can speak for the aviation career where experience isn't always required to get a job with large airlines - they take on people just coming out of training.

(06-11-2015, 11:26 AM)GeorgeTheBoy Wrote: Depends, most employers look at degrees more than school results as unless, let's say, you're planning on becoming a biologist, they won't care that you got an A* in biology. Same goes for other subjects. Core subjects such as English and Maths are actually important but most others aren't.

Degrees show you not only have an interest in a particular field but that you also understand it to a certain level. That's all employers want to see - well, along with experience of course.

And you need a prerequisite to getting university degrees, which tend to start at GCSE. You need A*/As at A Level to get into many top level universities so to brush off school qualifications isn't necessarily a good thing. We both agree that it entirely depends on your field and what you want to do in life, but being consistent and getting good grades in GCSE and A Level undoubtedly help.

As above, I can speak for the aviation side of things which isn't too different from many other careers. Many airlines and even the RAF will look at GCSE and A Level results to distinguish the best from the average. If you did bad at GCSE and average at A Level, in such a competitive environment you're not going to succeed. It's preferred to have a degree to work at an airline, but that's more of a "fall back" option in case in 10 years down the line you fail your class 1 medical or something.

Just take exams easy, they aren't everything but they are important.
Exactly! I agree with you 100%. If I wanted a high paying job such as a doctor, I cant just get experience. I have to get very good grades, study medicine (which requires like all A's) and then medical school and then a job. That cant be achieved through experience.