Rules overhaul (IMPORTANT)
(05-25-2015, 03:13 PM)Faustie Wrote: Please read the staff announcement in regards to how we view rapeRP and racism.

We, the staff team, have reviewed the community response to the recent rule changes and also our own responses to your criticisms. Rather than continuing to reply separate and add to the confusion, we’ve decided to release a single statement to clarify our stance as a team and clear up as many concerns as possible.

We’ve listened to some of your concerns regarding the new rules on discrimination, but we aren’t going to change the rule right now. The decision to implement this rule was not taken lightly, and we discussed it in great detail. This rule was the end result, and we’re not going to change it because a few people shout and/or threaten to leave.

As I mentioned, this decision was not taken lightly. There was much discussion within the admin team, and not everybody agreed. One opposing point of view was that we would risk certain groups of people being offended by implementing this rule, and it’s a good point; gay people don’t want to join the server and hear discrimination against them, even if it is in an IC environment, and discrimination will likely be used much more casually than in a real-world situation, due to the lack of real-world consequences on FL. We also disallow rape role-play, partially because of the risk of a small group of people being offended.

While the above is a good point and very true, a counter-argument is that FL is a make-believe environment, and as such we shouldn’t be hyper-sensitive about discrimination at the cost of creative freedom. The new rule allows creative freedom, which many other games/movies/etc. also allow; more on this later. As for rape role-play, it’s true that it was banned because some people got offended, but it’s not the only reason; there are other venues for this kind of role-play, and no-one in the staff team wishes FL to cater to this kind of role-play. The majority team opinion is that role-play such as rape or terrorism is far more harmful and sickening than discrimination, hence rape is banned, but terrorism still allowed because it’s a frequent theme on FL and banning it would lead to the loss of a lot of good role-play.

Also, we’re well aware that some people may take things to excess, hence the rule was written specifically to allow moderate amounts of discrimination in an in-character manner only; excessive IC discrimination – or any in OOC – will not be tolerated.

Eventually the team reached a majority decision, and there was about a week from the time of the final rules draft being ready till publication; a week in which people were still able to voice dissenting opinions, yet no-one did.

In response to those who’ve called us racist or bigots, just because the majority of the team agreed on this rule doesn’t mean that we’re racist or are promoting racism, as some of you are claiming. It simply allows more creative freedom in role-play, and it is up to the individual to decide whether or not discrimination is a part of that; there are also likely to be IC consequences for these actions. Many games/movies/books/songs contain discrimination not just as a side-note, but as a central topic. Many of you complaining also continue to play games such as GTAV and Skyrim, both of which contain themes of discrimination, racism, and sexism. Much like on FL, the developers releasing these games have received criticism from a few loud voices regarding this, yet kept it in the game in order to enhance the story – this is a prime example of creative freedom, something we as a team support. To do otherwise would be hypocrisy.

Bumping this so it isn't lost in the posts.
Sincerely, Enzyme
Ex-Supervising Administrator
The following 3 users Like Enzyme's post:
  • Nyander, Rolorox, Faustie
(05-25-2015, 03:35 PM)Wood Wrote: Lads, please don't start comparing the racism rule to rape, as there's a sickening difference between them.

Racism is wrong and shouldn't happen, but rape is disguising and sickening and scars people for life and isn't something we want to implement into a roleplay server, whereas a few words isn't honestly going to scar someone. As much as I disagree with the rule, there's no need to create such a big deal over it. If you yourself don't agree with it, then just don't use racist terms in game? You're not forced to use them nor are you forced to keep listening to them. The rule is pretty much there for people who wish to both RP in that way, and use them terms in their RP.

You're telling me that racism isn't disgusting and sickening...?
The following 2 users Like livkx's post:
  • Matrix_, Conn
(05-25-2015, 04:21 PM)LivKX Wrote:
(05-25-2015, 03:35 PM)Wood Wrote: Lads, please don't start comparing the racism rule to rape, as there's a sickening difference between them.

Racism is wrong and shouldn't happen, but rape is disguising and sickening and scars people for life and isn't something we want to implement into a roleplay server, whereas a few words isn't honestly going to scar someone. As much as I disagree with the rule, there's no need to create such a big deal over it. If you yourself don't agree with it, then just don't use racist terms in game? You're not forced to use them nor are you forced to keep listening to them. The rule is pretty much there for people who wish to both RP in that way, and use them terms in their RP.

You're telling me that racism isn't disgusting and sickening...?

Racism is disgusting, and sick, and this new rule is just a gateway.
As bad as racism is, I'm saying it isn't as bad as rape at all, honestly what on earth is someone going to do on FL that's so racist it'll end up scaring someone for life?
Kind Regards,
Wood.
(05-25-2015, 04:34 PM)Wood Wrote: As bad as racism is, I'm saying it isn't as bad as rape at all, honestly what on earth is someone going to do on FL that's so racist it'll end up scaring someone for life?

I'm not saying that. I'm not saying that FL is so racist it will scar someone for life. Neither will RapeRP @ FL. They're both bad. But what you said made it sound like rape is bad, racism isn't.
Discrimination is realistic. People always say that the server should be realistic, and that realism is fun. You can't pick and choose, otherwise you're a complete hypocrite.

Most of the people complaining also are advocates for realism in previous suggestions/amendments, so please keep that in mind folks.
A more fitting signature. 
The following 4 users Like Jono's post:
  • Venom, Burnett, Zecon, Benporium
I actually agree that the racism rule isn't actually the end of the world, but I think that if RapeRP is banned so should racism be. That's not saying I want RapeRP unbanned.
Racism is fun.
[Image: U6EJtzI.jpg]
Thanks DVN for the signature.
Oh i wasnt promoting to make RapeRP allowed, i am disgusted by rape, but so am i by racism.
To people saying im not forced to listen/play with it, yes i am. If someone is screaming N1gger to me/other people im forced to listen to it and i simply dont want that. I see no reason to make racism allowed, it doesnt make 'better RP's" or "deeper roleplay situations", its simply ignorant people screaming ignorant things IC or OOC.

For the people who do say that this makes better RP, please enlighten me.
i have a question
how do you rape someone on a game which rape has not been designed into?
* alexxx inserts penis into vagina
oh no someone did text rape with me, oh jesus oh noes, and before you start a go at me
the world is fucked up and always will be as long as people have their views and do what they want, people have different mindsets than yours and in their mind its not "bunnies and unicorns"
like srsly grow up and look beyond your own comfort
also, im fine with sexism, racism and the discrimination thing, people need to learn its a server that tries to duplicate real life, and its doing it pretty well, refer to my paragraph above.
also there is plenty of things where racism can come into roleplay, let me list some
ghetto neighbourhood
rebels things like that
racist citizens who want to express their views
anyway, peace out lads
tldr: grow up and get out of your comfort and explore how fucked up the world is