Fire Department Role-Play Guide
Note: this is not a definitive guide and is just a few ideas for being a firefighter and such. I have borrowed a lot from other guides that I can vaguely remember, these are just suggestions.
The Fire Station
The Fire Station is obviously a critical part of any Fire Role-Play. It is the epicenter of all emergencies that require paramedics or the fire department. As such, it's crucially important that you kit out the station with the right bits and bobs to help along your role-play experience.
What do I put in there?
Well, this building isn't just a place to store your trucks, in an area where you will be spending most of your off-dispatch living. You can utilize the station for many other things and as a result it should be treated as a multi-functional facility.
Well, you need a small mechanical tools, like wheels or boxes since you will be expected to basically maintain your fire engine. You're not a pit-team, so don't overdo it, just think of it as basic maintenance.
You need bedding, if you're going to live there, so a few bunkbeds and quilts will probably do - again, it just adds to the atmosphere.
More importantly you need your equipment. Primary you need multiple fire extinguishers, axes and masks. For fire extinguishers you can use the colour tools to change their uses. It's common knowledge that different colours derive it to be used on electric or gas fires, for example. For gas masks you can use the combine faceplate, but just colour it black, no problems there. You're a fireman so you're gonna have your truck in there, but if you have the money maybe get a Raptor or Transit and colour it red, even get /copcar on it if you can. They have excellent handling compare to the firetruck, have better skins, can carry things and just look better. The Fire Department is going to have many vehicles kitted out for all kind of things, not just the engines themselves.
What do I do in there?
Being a fireman, especially one where the world magically lags for some reason...*cough*...you are going to be responding to a lot of incidents, especially road collisions and crashes. We'll get to that later, but whilst not doing this, you can get into some excellent RP.
Hold safety talks - a fireman's main job is prevention. As such, you should be expected to hold talks and conferences on the dangers of fire and how to prevent them industrially, domestically and more. Advertise that there are free fire safety talks in the firestation, you can set up a table, put extinguishers on there and some kind of alarm. You can explain what the different extinguishers mean, other ways to put out a fire and how alarms work and how they can be fitted. More importantly, perhaps, how to evacuate the building and lastly how to be generally safe. This is a great way to get engaged in some positive passive RP that puts your job beyond people screaming at you to put the fire out that is engulfing their BMW. (We'll get to that later too.)
If there's not many people you can look in the adverts for businesses. Chefs and other passive-rp'ers are great for this, especially new and unique ideas, like a transport company. Visit their shop or warehouse and ask if you can assess their building for fire safety. This gives you more opportunity for RP, as from this you can analyse a lot of things and even make some things up. Hold a little talk there and then and thank the employee for their time. Remember, don't charge for any of this, you are a part of a public service!
What else can I do to feel badass?
Short of cruising round the block in your pimped out crimson red whip, you would think you can't do a lot. Well, ya can. Despite their name, they do a lot more than just deal with fires!
If you have a few people that are interested in doing RP with you, maybe simulate an earthquake or even a small scale disaster (a fire will do...). Get them to make, say, a warehouse destroyed and damaged and to do /sleep and such. They can use /request to call you out, you can drive out and you can search the building. Once done and all the people are safe you can analyse the building, make it safe by analyzing the incident and structure, for example.
HAZMAT strikes fear into many. Out of the darkness emerges men clad in yellow, like aliens from another planet. They my friend, are no aliens, they are firefighters.
OK, so HAZMAT stands for hazardous materials, although you probably know that. Most Fire Departments, especially one for a city like Evo, have an area to deal with this and the equipment necessary. If you have the money and the donator status you can get gas masks, or if a administrator is on change your player model (he/she will probably not let you!) Cordon off a building, evacuate the people and announce their is a spill of a dangerous radioactive material, for example. Systematically clear and clean the area, being very careful and analytically. All of the above and this one especially give huge opportunities for some creative RP, using /me and /it, which should greatly assist you.

Structure
You're going to need ranks and hierarchy for this to properly work. You need experienced people on top who can coordinate and run an efficient team. Consider them the first among equals, try to role out in at least a team of two, it can help generate some good RP, but make sure to know your companions rank too!

You should make sure to clear your Chief before putting him on top, because the President might disapprove. Unfortunately, the job of Fireman seems to attract a lot of new people, for some reason, who don't quite know how to RP or behave (not all are like this). Of course, try to help them but in the end you will need to try and demote all of them. Since there is no Fire Chief job, make sure its clear your Fire Chief has the same authority, around about, the Sergeant of the Police has; as such, he can ask the President to demote them. Obviously, don't go mad with power, but it helps to run an efficient force. Above are the ranks, there are no "sir" or "ma'am" obviously in terms of rank, so addressing them by "chief" is probably the best. You can miss out most ranks, as they usually over complicate things.

How to respond to a collision and fire?

When you arrive at the scene of an accident there are going to be a lot of things to consider. When you get your car you want to over-view the situation, take your time and do not under any circumstances let people rush you. Many people when they have crashed want to get back on the road as soon as possible, however just ignore them and even go as far in telling them in OOC to let you do your RP. Tell them to leave the immediate vicinity of the crash and don't be afraid to call a police unit for backup if they get rowdy, although you should be able to handle it yourself. Theoretically, most people should act scared, due to G-mod's physics car crashes are always brutal and usually cause death or damage. As such, in real life they'd be annoying a firefighter who is trying to save a man from a brutal car crash that killed two other people. Put it into context and it makes more sense.

Enough of angry drivers, you need to first assess the situation. If there's onlookers, or people hanging around, ask them if they had anything to do with the crash. Did  they collide with the car? Did they force it off the road? You need to know this from a fire point of view as it could lead to different damage and different fires. If they aren't involved, tell them leave the area immediately and as quick as possible put up an area of cones around the crash area. Set about clearing up the fire but do it systematically, don't go to the effort of all that RP just to spray it down and leave. Use short bursts whilst also using /me's to enhance the RP and make it more authentic. This means the RP can last longer. Get a paramedic ASAP and assess if anyone needs any medical help. You should be trained in first aid so attempt that whilst the paramedic is on his way.

Communicate with your Chief and other fighters to ensure everyone knows what is going down and where. Make sure to think of different fires, if it's electrical you should use a different extinguisher and look for a way to locate and neutralize the source once the fire is out. Don't just hand the car back, fiddle around inside the car and use more /me's, then once done make sure to refer the driver to a mechanic to get the engine looked at.

Remember, you've got smoke, oxygen deficiency, elevated temperature and toxic air, make sure to put this all into your RP. However, let's go more in depth and step by step, this is after clearing the area:
  • Read the fire - search the area for the source. Be it the actual vehicle itself or the building. A variety of technology like sensors and such can be used by the Fire Department to do this.
  • Assess victims - When you see casualties before attending to them list them category A, B and C respectively. A is who you need to tend to first, these people can possibly be saved. B is people who have the possibility to be saved and C is either people with not a chance or the deceased. This means you need to prioritize, it may seem un-ethical but it must be done if not enough fighters and medics are on scene.
  • How to read the fire - you can just put it out in-game, but in /me you can use "Sees soot on windows, smoke going in and out around door or sprays water on ceiling and see if heat," these are all accepted methods.
  • Extinguish the fire - pretty self explanatory, we've already gone over this one.
  • Do the above - remember the idea around neutralizing the source and making sure the car is safe, not just handing the owner the keys, slapping the roof and let him drive off.

Categorising your fires

You need to categorize your fires as Chief or acting-Head to make sure enough fighters arrive on scene. Two engines basically means two teams of fighters, be that two fighters if that aren't many of you or four fighters. Although the IRL version is much more complicated, this can help:

Alarm 1 - one engine required to put out fire, either no casualties or casualties with no life-threatening injuries.
Alarm 2 - one/two engines required to put out fire, possible casualties with life-threatening injuries.
Alarm 3 - one/two engines required to put out fire, DOS (deceased on scene) and casualties in need of immediate medical assistance.
Alarm 4 - best to have two engines, either DOS or casualties with life in danger, if there are two or more fires it should be immediately escalated to this level.

A map of high spots for crashes highlighted in red boxes.
[Image: azZfnxH.jpg]

The above should be used in your radio to coordinate your fighters, if you're chief, or to request more if you're running low on fighters. Use your radio and common codes and language that fit in with the Fire Department. Finally, try this video which provides a nice insight to the world of fire-fighting:

Another video that details some ways of treating a fire in a structure.

Thank you for reading, I will be adding stuff now-and-again so keep an eye out. If you have any constructive criticism that'd be greatly appreciated. Remember, don't play with fire, don't run with scissor and drink milk.
The following 2 users Like Jiggles's post:
  • Ivan Tempski, Kippsee
Video is broken lad,but i really,really like this guide thingy!
(04-21-2015, 07:28 PM)MacTavish Wrote: Video is broken lad,but i really,really like this guide thingy!

Thanks man! It should be fixed? If not, I'll just whack a link too.
(04-21-2015, 07:33 PM)Jiggles Wrote:
(04-21-2015, 07:28 PM)MacTavish Wrote: Video is broken lad,but i really,really like this guide thingy!
Thanks man! It should be fixed? If not, I'll just whack a link too.
Its fixed. There are actually situations where soldiers have to respond in heavy suits against some heavy fire. I know that from expirience.

EDIT: This just gave me a really cool idea for a suggestion,damn,im gonna create a really good suggestion!
Really nice guide, great job!
(04-21-2015, 07:59 PM)kippsee Wrote: Really nice guide, great job!

Thanks!
Oh shit this is so nice!
Very nice work. I like those suggestions and hope to see these used much more often. Teamwork is key which sadly is lacking a lot in the profession. Hopefully this could encourage more of it.
Fighting fires so you don't have to.

[Image: get.php?s=STEAM_0:1:5102768&b=13]
(04-22-2015, 02:50 AM)SirWulf Wrote: Very nice work.  I like those suggestions and hope to see these used much more often.  Teamwork is key which sadly is lacking a lot in the profession.  Hopefully this could encourage more of it.

It is true, teamwork is the real key to success, and we really need to encourage it.
Mexico is not safe
Very detailed and a great guide to RP'ing in the Fire Service.

Keep them coming.