Fearless searching lua coder
(04-01-2015, 05:55 PM)Weecow Wrote:
(04-01-2015, 05:36 PM)Von Tempski Wrote: Well this is a *** move, advertising that you need dev's when you don't promote those who have already invested hours and hours into creating content FL, only to get zero recognition for it.

This.

This. THIS
(04-01-2015, 06:01 PM)Floodify Wrote:
(04-01-2015, 05:36 PM)Von Tempski Wrote: Well this is a *** move, advertising that you need dev's when you don't promote those who have already invested hours and hours into creating content FL, only to get zero recognition for it.

Maybe because they are not capable to fulfil the requirements for the position (which was mentioned in op)

If someone shows the goodwill to code for FL like Wood (which has the contributor rank) why not teach them more? This thread is more of a duplicate as the contributor project is almost the same
The following 1 user Likes Weecow's post:
  • Falc
What's wrong with searching more people to contribute for the server, and maybe get developer after a while?

So because there are already some contributors, we should stop searching? Makes no sense to me.

'First you will be a contributor', as you can see in the OP.
[Image: get.php?s=STEAM_0:1:15472195&b=9]
Make your own dynamic signature by clicking here.
The following 1 user Likes SoulRipper's post:
  • Suarez
(04-01-2015, 06:33 PM)Weecow Wrote:

Maybe because they are not capable to fulfil the requirements for the position (which was mentioned in op)

If someone shows the goodwill to code for FL like Wood (which has the contributor rank) why not teach them more? This thread is more of a duplicate as the contributor project is almost the same

Teach? Are you fuckin serious? This community is getting updates not too often and devs put down time on that in their speartime - should they teach too? Lol get out of here
Kind Regards,
Floodify
FL only has professional staff apperantly. How do you suggest we get a professional coder without him being thought how to handle the gamemode Floodify?

Far i know Wood dont need to teach cause he may knows more then your devs , give him a chance to be Dev Smile
(04-01-2015, 09:17 PM)Baskingner Wrote: FL only has professional staff apperantly. How do you suggest we get a professional coder without him being thought how to handle the gamemode Floodify?
I don't know much about it but I'm pretty sure coding is like learning a new language. Like many of us, I've been taught a language in the basic form at school and we all know it is a hard skill to master and how it takes a lot of time and dedication to learn and teach. Now you're asking for someone who is already developing content for the servers to take even more time to teach new people an entirely new language?! Also they aren't getting paid! Many online teachers and guides charge huge amounts for lessons and tutorials in coding and you expect these people to do it for free? Not to mention this time could be used to contribute even more towards the servers' development.
I just don't understand this comment. When I was around everyone always complained about the lack of developers and development, now when Soul actually tries to attract some more and you whinge? Also your point about promoting the contributors. Believe it or not, the administrators do actually care, I'm sure the team is evaluating their progress and their ability and will decide if they think they have what it takes to become a developer. Finally, what do you mean they get no recognition? They have a completely new forum title and in-game logo (correct me if I'm wrong), what more do you want for them to be "recognized"? A song made in tribute to them or something?
The following 6 users Like Verzyn's post:
  • Kpred, General Rickets, Floodify, Burnett, Nevy, Nacreas
(04-01-2015, 09:11 PM)Floodify Wrote:
Teach? Are you fuckin serious? This community is getting updates not too often and devs put down time on that in their speartime - should they teach too? Lol get out of here
What's the instant offense? You think you're alot with your veteran tag, don't you?  Huh Huh Never known you like that Floodify especially not before you stepped down, from 'professional' as (some) admins like to think of themselfs. To a cool veteran.
Anyways, back on point:
People can learn alot from each other, although that's what I've experienced and if there is someone who does know LUA but not in the very details I see no hurt in helping them develop their skills and see them eventually get developer. Of course FL isn't getting alot of updates and surely you can't expect that. FL is not a business, not a company they don't have job applications it's all on voluntary base, and if I were one of them I would code when I have some sparetime and when I feel like it. And teaching shouldn't be a huge job, if you know object oriented coding you already know a lot and passing that onto someone else is great for the person learning the language. But that won't happen anyway Smile
My point: From what I've seen wood has worked along with Mavis and well this thread is kinda writing him off. Of course I don't know the story behind it, but the thread kinda says: "We got some good coders, but we need someone better than wood / other contributors". Why not stick to the Contributor thread instead of opening this..
(04-01-2015, 09:35 PM)Weecow Wrote:
(04-01-2015, 09:11 PM)Floodify Wrote:
What's the instant offense? You think you're alot with your veteran tag, don't you?  Huh Huh Never known you like that Floodify especially not before you stepped down, from 'professional' as (some) admins like to think of themselfs.
Anyways, back on point:
People can learn alot from each other, although that's what I've experienced and if there is someone who does know LUA but not in the very details I see no hurt in helping them develop their skills and see them eventually get developer. Of course FL isn't getting alot of updates and surely you can't expect that. FL is not a business, not a company they don't have job applications it's all on voluntary base, and if I were one of them I would code when I have some sparetime and when I feel like it. And teaching shouldn't be a huge job, if you know object oriented coding you already know a lot and passing that onto someone else is great for the person learning the language. But that won't happen anyway Smile
My point: From what I've seen wood has worked along with Mavis and well this thread is kinda writing him off. Of course I don't know the story behind it, but the thread kinda says: "We got some good coders, but we need someone better than wood / other contributors". Why not stick to the Contributor thread instead of opening this..
Fuck off Weecow - I say whatever the fuck I want and I should do so without people like you trying to act smart and say some bullshit. This is a community and I have the right to say shit without you being butthurt and blame my rank on my opinions. Strip my rank, please, and perhaps then I can say things without you trying to outsmart me with your silly comments about me having vet rank.

Anyway,

My point is that the main reason why they are not full time developing, is because it's not a priority and thus does not have a big amount of time. If they are going to further put down time to teach someone who's good at a medium level (like Wood) to a level to where they can do what soul put as an example, then it's gonna take a lot of time and a lot of developing will be put on hold for that. Worth it? I think not. Possible? Yes. It's

Wood is a good dev, but from what I seen he's done some fixing up on gamemode and stuff and not really developed anything from scratch (food and items doesn't count, nor does the location system because TBSOG did a shit load of it before him). I think he has definitely the possibility to become a dev and he can be one now, but he really doesn't pass the requirements of what Soul put up. Why else would he say that? Why isn't Wood dev? There's gotta be a reason, don't you think?
Kind Regards,
Floodify
The following 1 user Likes Floodify's post:
  • General Rickets
Well this thread has gone downhill.

The message is out there, if you want to know any more information, contact Soul.

Closed.