Zwarte piet - Racist?
(12-19-2014, 06:18 PM)Adman Wrote:
(12-19-2014, 05:13 PM)MrTreeGames Wrote: We won't go to the USA and say that Thanksgiven is racist for turkeys, do we?

Despite not actually making any sense, how is that even relevant?

It does make sense, because someone from the United Nations that lives in the USA claimed the tradition was racist, 99% of the Netherlands disagreed and hated her for her claims. Also this tradition could be compared with thanksgiving.
Why is most politicans so oversensitive? They really had a meeting because of that? The word racism has really lost it's meaning. If all the "minions" or whatever were white we wouldn't hear anything about this, would we?
We're talking about racism. Turkeys do not qualify under that.
Regards,
aviator
Jan is talking about miss Shepard. She is an official investigator of the UN, who investigated zwarte piet and wrote a huge report about it. Her report contained words as "barbaric" "medieval" and "i cant believe celebrating this is still legal in 2013". She received a lot of critisism because she wasnt dutch but american.
Pretty sure 'zwarte piet' is called this way because he got filthy / got a dark skin by the chimneys, how on earth is this racist.
(12-19-2014, 06:23 PM)Jan Wrote:
(12-19-2014, 06:18 PM)Adman Wrote:
(12-19-2014, 05:13 PM)MrTreeGames Wrote: We won't go to the USA and say that Thanksgiven is racist for turkeys, do we?

Despite not actually making any sense, how is that even relevant?

It does make sense, because someone from the United Nations that lives in the USA claimed the tradition was racist, 99% of the Netherlands disagreed and hated her for her claims. Also this tradition could be compared with thanksgiving.

"Racist for turkeys"

That does not make sense.
Geek sidenote here: The UN president of this committee was a black woman.
[Image: MrTreeGames-Signature.gif]

Give green to Tree
                                                               signature by Nyander
I just said that to compare it with a festival. I could have chosen Christmas. For example that there are always white men that have the power. (Santa and Sinterklaas). Anyway, It was just something to make the text longer and of course it didn't make any sense.
[Image: MrTreeGames-Signature.gif]

Give green to Tree
                                                               signature by Nyander
(12-20-2014, 01:31 PM)MrTreeGames Wrote: I just said that to compare it with a festival. I could have chosen Christmas. For example that there are always white men that have the power. (Santa and Sinterklaas). Anyway, It was just something to make the text longer and of course it didn't make any sense.

Except thanksgiving and Christmas don't involve people donning black face. Comparing racism with killing turkeys is just... I don't even.  
The following 1 user Likes Adman's post:
  • equal
Quote:It does make sense, because someone from the United Nations that lives in the USA claimed the tradition was racist, 99% of the Netherlands disagreed and hated her for her claims. Also this tradition could be compared with thanksgiving.
Well she certainly does not represent my opinion, traditions are sacred things that should be handled
with care. If minor christmas traditions were outlawed due to racism most Americans would be outraged.

What I am trying to say is, this is not a 'barbaric' tradition at all from my perspective, It isn't mean to be, It is meant for
children's enjoyment. That being said, perhaps a slight removal of some paint to make them look more like actual chimney sweepers rather
than a full overlay of black paint.. For example..

Thats a character from a popular movie 'Marry Poppins', the character was a chimney sweeper and the makeup fits it perfectly
so that it has almost zero comparison to say.. 'Blackface'.

Anywho, whoever this UN representative was I completely disagree with what she is saying and I believe she is acting bias and without
enough analysis of an age-old tradition
[Image: 60e0d10cb7aa2d87b0dbbf25564f8dca.png]
dig

Musician, Ex-Administrator