Hostage rescue 101.
So you want to learn how to improve your hostage rescue techniques.
Hopefully you will find this guide useful, listed beneath find the contents of this guide, and a glossary of terms used.

Contents:
Glossary.
The scenario.
First things first.
Information collection and deception.
Going loud.
How not to die in CQB.
Team co-ordination.
Further points to consider.
Points on control.

Glossary:
X-ray=enemy.
White=Front of building.
Green=Left of building.
Red=Right of building.
Black=Rear of building.
CQB=Close quartes battle.
MOE=Method of Entry.
Recce=Reconnaisance.
Obs=Observation.
Grey man=Neutral, middleman, not remarkable, not too aggressive, not too submissive.
OP=Observation point.
Bumped=rumbled or contacted by the enemy.
Contacted=observed and engaged by the enemy.
Loud=Overt use of force, shooting etc.
Covert=Unobserved, stealth.
Overt=Shooty shooty, and loud obvious methods.
Cordon=to block off, prevent access too.
Civvie=non combatant or non government personnel.
Stronghold=Location of X-rays.
Blue on blue=friendly fire.
Brass check=make sure all magazines are fully loaded.
Drills=behaviour/how you operate.

The Scenario.
So the scenario is as follows, we have a group of hostages, taken by armed men, and they are demanding money or hostages will be killed. At this point, you do not kick the door down, and start going loud, this will get you killed and the hostages.
At this point we do not have a good intelligence picture. We also do not need to breach the building yet. But there are several things we need to do.

First things first
Firstly a perimeter cordon must be created. There are several reasons, which I shall list. Psychological effect, establishing a cordon creates a psychological effect of dominance on the X-rays, it prevents escape attempts, and ensures the area is controlled. Preventing unknown personnel enter, is a must, use a cordon to keep civvies out of the area, they can get you, the hostages, or themselves killed, if you must arrest them for their own safety. Do not allow the standard police authorities to attempt to breach, they are not equipped to resolve the situation.
Now you have a perimeter established, you can begin opening a line of communication with the X-rays. Find out their demands, and build as much as intelligence as you can. Key points you NEED to know are listed below.
·Strength-number of enemy combatants.
·Weapons-what the enemy is armed with.
·Hostages-how many, are they injured.
·Location-where the X-rays/hostages are located.
·Points of entry-are there multiple entry points.
·Defences-what obstacles/barricades to your entry are there.
·Time-how much time do you have.
·Aggression-how aggressive are the hostage takers.
·Plan-what they're plan is, do they have a getaway vehicle.

Information collection, and deception
So how we do establish this information? Firstly communication, appoint one man to act as a negotitator, his only role should be to stall the hostage takers as long as possible, and remain the grey man, or neutral, he is not to promise anything but to make the X-rays believe he is attempting to resolve the whole affair peacefully. If he can, demand a show of good faith, whereby they release one of the hostages early, to establish co-operation and a repore.

Whilst he is doing this the CQB team should be conducting a recce of the area, locating possible locations of escape, any routes, and vehicles likely to be used, if potential getaway vehicles are located they should be neutralised, or removed from the area to prevent their use. When identifying the stronghold, we are looking for potential points of entry. The best way to monitor the building is to describe it with the colours system. White is the front. Red is the right. Green is the left. And Black is the back. If I was to say 2 X-rays Black, my team would know there are armed men at the rear of the building, and we can establish an intelligence picture.

Once you have an intelligence picture established, it can be decided if an assault on the stronghold is necessary. The assault needs to be planned meticulously. The method of entry will vary, but speed is essential. Assuming an assault is not necessary, and the hostage situation is resolved without force, remember you can always arrest the hostage takers at a later date. IF at any point the hostage takers kill a hostage, then there is no other course but to conduct an assault on the property.

Going loud
Breaching. The most potent device to effect a breach is a shotgun, but there are times where other tools are more effective.
If encountering a locked or barricaded entrance, assess and then act.
Whilst the breach effects an MOE, the rest of the team should provide cover and ensure he remains effective.
If you encounter a locked door, stand to the side of the door by the door frame, and use a shotgun to open the door, then switch weapon to your automatic, and cover the exterior till the point man calls it clear, then move up with your team.
If you encounter a barricade with a keypad, stand to the side of the door, or entrance nearest the keypad, and use a cracker to effect entrance, when the door is open, switch to your automatic, and cover the exterior, until such time as you can move up.
The shotgun is preferable to the lock-pick due to its speed of use.

When attempting to effect a breach, if you can use distractions do so, have the negotiator constantly contact the X-rays, use any outside noise to cover your movement, and remember the crucial factors of Speed, Aggression, Surprise.

How not to die in CQB
Let's run through some important information in CQB. Firstly doorways are lethal, get through them as quickly as possible, DO NOT stop in said doorway, allow enough room for your team to enter. Maximise your spacing-gap between your men. Do not cluster together, you will present an easy target. Furthermore when engaging the X-rays, do not run around the room like headless chickens, this will cause you to be in the line of fire of your men, and you will die.

Team co-ordination
Ensure every man is aware of his role, one man will be the detected breach man, his job is to breach obstacles, whilst the rest of the team protect him and cover the angles. The following should be done. Use a number system for ease of use e.g 1,2,3,4, when searching rooms.
1=The point man, he enters the room.
2=Cover man, he enters the room.
3=Cover man, he enters the room.
4=Breach man, he breaches the room, and remains outside, to identify any potential threats moving up on the teams location.

Assign this before the operation starts, and make sure every man knows his role.
If the hostage takers have killed a hostage, your job is to protect the lives of the hostages, as the X-rays pose an imminent threat to them, lethal force is recommended on contact.
When engaging an entrenched enemy, or an X-ray who is in cover, the team will function as two units. Numbers 1 and 2 will fire on automatic, to pin the X-ray in his location, and draw his attention. Numbers 3 and 4 will fire in single fire to eliminate the X-ray with aimed shots.
When all X-rays are neutralised, maintain dominance over the hostages, until the entire building is cleared, do not release them until it is safe to do so.
When walking down a corridor, make sure to move in such a manner as to maximise your ability to fire on threats. Keep appropriate spacing between you and your team to prevent a blue on blue incident, i'd recommend a staggered formation as illustrated below.

using the above number system you can see how the team is able to effectively bring fire on threats to the front and rear, maximising potential firepower in a close order situation.

Always scan your surroundings and clear every room, use all available cover, and do not shoot the hostages or your team mates.

Further points to consider
It is highly recommended to have all necessary equipment bound and equipped, before attempting to breach, loading a shotgun just outside the door, gives the game away just a tad.

Remember to conserve ammunition, fire in select fire to increase accuracy and prevent ammo wastage.

Med-kits are highly recommended in the situation as well, and the best time to use them is as soon as the shooting starts, remember to act fluidly, precisely, and with maximum aggression, also ALWAYS ensure you have brass checked all weapons before the operation begins.

Also making verbal warning binds can be highly useful, and help to strengthen the role-play. Such as; /y POLICE DO NOT MOVE, DOWN ON THE GROUND NOW, FAILURE TO COMPLY WILL JUSTIFY LETHAL FORCE. It's always helpful, and works well for me, if you manage to capture one of the X-rays it's also incredibly useful to have the police caution bound, I prefer the UK caution, but the US caution is also useful, you will need to separate it into two binds however, I bound the caution to keys M+N, so I can quickly caution a suspect that he is under arrest.

Points on control
Another point I will make is how critical it is to, maintain control. Always handcuff any suspects and keep them in a safe location, where they cannot, hurt themselves, you, or anyone else, do the same with hostages, it might seem unfair but you need to ensure the safety of everyone, and allowing hostages to run around all over the place is just plain bad drills, ideally secure suspects/hostages in a safe room and make sure they are all restrained.

I hope you found this guide as useful and fun, as I did to write it.

Yours faithfully Z.Massani.
The following 1 user Likes Eisenhorn's post:
  • D0ctor
Glad it got approved, a note i'd like to add on the numbers system.
Say you are doing clan training or ops, and all members are assigned static numbers (e.g the number is attached to their name) but they aren't online for this operation.
It's pointless to try to change the numbers about you'll just confuse everyone, by making no3 no1, what you can do is use numerical order to your advantage.
In the normal scenario you have 1,2,3,4, with 1 being the point man, and 4 being breach man, but what if you have 2,4,7,9 online? The solution is simple, lowest number is point man, highest is breach man. By following that simple methodology you avoid what I call instinctive confusion. Each person is aware of their number, it never changes, but in the event they are the lowest number, they know they are the point man. Because if you're used to being number 3 and suddenly you're number 1 for a day you will not act instinctively to the command, you will forget and get confused and slow down the op. By using numerical order, every person is aware of their role, and each others roles.

Now for multiple teams, split them into groups of 4.
You can either go 1-2-3-4_5-6-7-8_9-10-11-12, or use the method I prefer
1-2-3-4_1A-2A-3A-4A_1B_2B_3B_4B
This is easy and saves confusion, but what if you have 4A, 4B, 4C, 4D online in the same unit? Well simple numerical order is out, alphabetical order is in. 4A is the lowest so he's point man, 4D is highest so he's breach man.

Always keep it simple, easy to understand, easy to communicate, this way nobody gets confused, and nobody screws up.

Hope this helps y'all!
I like the guide, though I'd like to emphasize the importance of negotiation. In one of my past negotiations, I have managed to convince the hostagers to take the escape vehicle and leave the hostages behind, which in turn resulted in them coming into a barricade and being apprehended. The guide should touch more points of a passive approach, although I love the combat part.
Couldn't agree more Doom, I should of emphasised the process of negotiation, and it's importance, as you yourself stated the hostage takers can always be apprehended later, in a safer environment. Expect an edit soon to take your points into consideration.