Violent Video Game Sales
Recently, the California State Government has been attempting to pass a law restricting the sale of 'Ultra-Violent' video games to anyone under 18 years of age. I was thinking this would be a good debate since we are all gamers here. Tell me and everyone else what you think and why! Please dont rage though.

I do not believe this is a valid law to pass -
*First off, who is to define a video game as ULTRA VIOLENT?
*Its also not the governments business who plays what.
*What is the purpose of this law anyway?
*I feel its a violation of the first United States Amendment.
*You are not actually killing someone, why does anyone care?

What do you think? I am hoping to get a good debate going because I love to debate.

Keep in mind that we are all gamers who play violent games and most of us are under 18... and our parents arent, they look down on it, so yeah. My parents are like "Damn right they should"
My parants are saying "Damn right they should" too. But they allowed me to play 18+ games because I am good at the school.
There are people that can play this games without flipping out and there are ones who can't.
I like computergames because they aren't the reality. I don't like games where the only meaningful object is killing people or rape them or something, that's even for a game very perverse.

That's my opinon.
Thanks
The following 1 user Likes Visual's post:
  • Noobias
Don't "Ultra-Violent" games have an age restriction for sale anyways?
Visual that is a great point! While people are commenting on how the graphics are "So real and lifelike!", most people play to GET AWAY FROM LIFE, not closer! That is a great argument. And to reply to storm, here in my state, you can purchase an M rated game as long as there is a parent at the counter with you.

I was reading more news about the topic on YahooNews and found a great comment by a user 'Beck'

I'm sick and tired of all these do-gooders, who are most likely religious, butting their noses into business that isn't theirs. Worry about your own children, I'll raise mine without your pushy nonsense. So MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS
Meh, so the law will change from "Here timmy stand next to me while I buy you CoD 16"
To: "Here Timmy go browse the game section or go take a shit while I buy you CoD 16"
IMO the decision is the parents, and if they believe the game is suitable for their kid then it's fine for them to play it.
That isnt the point here, whether its a massive change or not, the point is, does the government have the right to do this?

...I just realized... most others arent american... and dont have my government so you probably dont know it as well... -_-
(*Facedesk*)
Computergames are a part of our generation. There is and always be trouble and discussions about it.
Fact is that it dosen't harm, some studies shows that PC games are wiser then nongamer, because they train their spatial thinking and reasoning.

I think it's good for me and you see it here: I train my english while I am talking with you. My english is not the best and google translater helps me sometimes but it gets better, day for day Smile. It's hard to discuss about that and then in english... good boy. Computergames are great but you shouldn't exaggerate.

In my opinion the government hasn't the right to change/cut/add or to indicate a game like in germany. I don't want to repeat myself but computergames aren't the reality. If you cut a game and cry: "they kids do suicide and amok because they play this game" you have to prohibit drugs, cigarettes, alcohol and all this shit because that kills more people then computergames.
I think the ending here if quite relevant, in regards to what useless crap most governments spout out... If not, just enjoy Top Gear anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9Y5_CAUPmg
(06-27-2011, 10:00 PM)Faustie Wrote: I think the ending here if quite relevant, in regards to what useless crap most governments spout out... If not, just enjoy Top Gear anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9Y5_CAUPmg

Yea this and only this.

Lol we have agerestrictions aswell and the sellers don't give 2 shits here tbh.
I went to the store to buy GTA when I was like 12 they don't care.
-Signature removed-
Video games Video Games Games games Games !