Need some help with GTA IV (PC)
Not sure if this is in the correct section, if it's not please move it to the correct section.

Anyways, I'm making this thread because I've recently purchased both GTA IV and GTA SA from Steam due the amazing Summer sale that's going on. I checked CanYouRunIT for both games and it said I was capable of playing them both very comfortably which I was happy with. So I proceed to download GTA IV and get on to find I'm playing on about 9FPS which is incredibly hard to play on. On GTA SA I can get around 60-90FPS which I'm extremely pleased with.

Now the problem is the fact that I technically should be able to play GTA IV on atleast Medium with around 30FPS, but I have to have it in 800x600 Res and lowest graphic settings to get 30FPS+. I really wanted to get into modding some cars and drifting around like a baws but now I can't because CanYouRunIT lied to me.

Btw these are my specs:

RAM: 8GB
Space: 1TB
Graphics: HD Radeon 6450 2GB DDR3
Processor: AMD FX6100 Bulldozer Six-Core 3.3GHz

Surely these specs should be good enough to play GTA IV on atleast low with 720p resolution, but apparently not. I know that the graphics card I have is terribly outdated and that's why I'm getting a Nvidia soon, but can anyone point me in some direction towards improvement?
This probably belongs in help and support, but I will still help you out here until an admin moves it there.

GTA IV Is a horrible port for the PC. Probably one of the worst ever. Getting FPS issues is no specific problem to you, even I have had the problem.

To fix this, go into your GTA IV folder (The Directory), and place a .txt file named "Commandline" (No ""). inside Commandline.txt, paste EXACTLY what I have here.

Spoiler :
-norestrictions -nomemrestrict -refreshrate 60 -availablevidmem 12.0 -percentagevidmem 100 -novblank -framelimit? 0 -noprecache

I get roughly 70 FPS on my extremely high-end PC on high settings. This commandline was taken straight from my own, so you should experience 0 problems. If you do experience problems, however, just send me a PM and I can try helping you out further.

Happy gunfights.

EDIT: I just noticed you wish to mod vehicles in your game. DO NOT DO THIS.
Modding vehicles is something I use to do as well. I ended up reinstalling my game from scratch. The modded textures will interfere with some defaults, thus making texture popups ridiculous.
Here is a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6c9GpQGtxs

You will notice his "fix" is to get more ram. This is bogus. I have 16gb of ddr3, and I make sure to have a minimal amount of programs open when I game, yet I still had the youtubers problem. His popups were treated slightly, but were still very noticable, and for me unplayable.

DO NOT MOD VEHICLES.
The following 2 users Like yarrrs's post:
  • GRiiM, dig
Also, some people have been experiencing issues with the 1.0.0.7 update released recently. Since it's on Steam, I'm not sure if you can just backdate it because it automatically updates itself. I have the standalone version, which is running at 1.0.0.7 and I have some frame drops sometimes, but it's not too bad. I'll put in that code Jarz sent in, I think that will help it.

Sincerely,
ArcHammer
[Image: LkB62ld.png]

+Rep
Thank you both, especially Jarz for the explanation and support. I'll input the code into my directory and see how that goes. Funnily enough I don't actually get any texture problems as I have modded a few vehicles, instead I get a Fatal SMPA60 error which I've been told is because the cars I have downloaded have the wrong mesh and textures so it interferes with the game itself. So I've reinstalled the whole game from steam and I'm going to make sure I backup my files before trying anything.

Thanks again for the support you guys Tounge