Police, Reasons for search, Taser deployment, and basic arrest legislation.
I'm writing this to help all the new police officers out there, and to expand on Killjoys brilliant guide.

Firstly I will state that whilst the legislation and guidance protocols I will quote are from the UK's many police forces, they are still applicable in my mind. They provide greater rp depth and realism for the police officers on the server.

1: Reasons for search. If you follow this guide, you will not be random raiding, this will detail reasons to detain and search a person, and subsequently search their property.

Section 1 of the Police And Criminal Evidence Act 1984, informs us that we must have reasonable grounds to suspect a person has committed an offence. It does not provide grounds to search a dwelling. Rather it confers the rights to search for. Stolen goods
Articles for use in certain Theft Act offences.
Offensive weapons, including bladed or sharply-pointed articles (except folding pocket knives with a bladed cutting edge not exceeding 3 inches).
Articles made, adapted or intended for use in destroying or damaging property, added by Section 1 of the Criminal Justice Act 2003 e.g.
paint sprays, etching tools and
tools used to cause graffiti.
So this allows us to detain a man, but prevents us from raiding property.

Officers must follow this acronym to prove Reasonable grounds for a search.
Seen, Heard, Actions, Communication, Knowledge, and Smell.
An example would be you've heard a gunshot and see a man running, this is grounds to detain him for questioning.

On the grounds of entering a property an officer must have a warrant as detailed by s17 of PACE 1984 or be acting under section 4 of the Public Order Act 1986 (fear or provocation of violence).

Basic arrest legislation: In my experience as a police officer, the most common arrest was under section 5 of the public order act 1986. I shall list the most likely arrest reasons I have seen on the server, in an attempt to help the Police.

Section 1 - Riot-at least 12 persons.
Section 2 - Violent disorder
Section 3 - Affray
Section 4 - Fear or provocation of violence
Section 4A - Intentional harassment, alarm or distress
added by section 154 of the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994
Section 5 - Harassment, alarm or distress, This include swearing at an officer. However the individual must be warned of his conduct, before it becomes an arrestable offence.

Offences against the person 1861.
Section 4-Conspiracy to murder. Or soliciting to commit murder.
Section 16-The making of a threat to kill is an offence where the defendant intends the victim to fear it will be carried out. It is immaterial whether it is premeditated or said in anger.
Other threats of violence may be prosecuted summarily under section 4 of the Public Order Act 1986.
Section 18 Causing Grievous Bodily Harm with Intent, usually taken to mean the intent to kill.
Section 35 - Drivers of carriages injuring persons by furious driving. Whilst somewhat comical I feel this applies in extremis to half the drivers on evo.

Now we come to the fun one.
The Road Traffic Act 1991.
Section 1. Offences of dangerous driving.
Section 2. Careless, and inconsiderate, driving.
Section 6. Causing danger to road-users.

So that wraps up the basic laws I feel are most common on evo, and cross applicable to everyone.

When it comes to the use of Taser I see so many officers who fire it without warning and or justification.
Taken from the police legislation directly here are the directives on Taser deployment.
11 Oral and Visual warnings
11.1 Where circumstances permit, officers should give a clear warning of their intent to use
the Taser, giving sufficient time for the warnings to be observed, unless to do so
would unduly place any person at risk, or would be clearly inappropriate or pointless
in the circumstances of the incident.
11.2 It may in certain circumstances be appropriate to provide a visual display of the
sparking effect of the unloaded Taser in order to induce compliance, thus avoiding the
need to actually discharge the Taser at the subject.
11.3 The visual effect of the laser sight being directed at an individual may also have a
deterrent effect. Officers should be aware that the pointing of a Taser at an individual
represents a use of force and may in certain circumstances constitute an assault.
11.4 Police officers shall give the clear verbal warning.

There will be times where a preemptive deployment of Taser is the only course of action, this must be authorized by a senior officer in command, and I feel this would be of use to the server to prevent the random Taserings that occur so often.
The threat to the officer must be immediate to justify the use of Taser, or an immediate threat to public safety, if a man refuses to stop for you because you wish to question him, you must warn him multiple times if he doesn't stop that you will Taser him in the event he does not.

I hope this guide helps the police on evo city to become even better at their job, and provide a more immersive feeling of role play.

Thank you for reading: Z.Massani.
The following 4 users Like Eisenhorn's post:
  • GRiiM, BlackDog, D0ctor, Moisty
Very detailed and wonderfully communicated. Approved.
The following 1 user Likes Adman's post:
  • D0ctor
Great guide, thank you for taking the time to write this!
Very nice guide, Zaeed. Good job!
I agree, very impressive guide! Good job!
Nice guide!! Unfortunately I am not very intelligent (the milling did't help) so i only understand half of this (stop using big boy words) hehe anyway useful guide glad it got approved.

[Image: fgfcrai.png]

If I helped you, please consider giving me a +Rep.

Well done. A well made guide.
Regards,
aviator