Horror Game Ideas.
Hello everyone.

Recently i have been thinking about creating a horror game. I know entirely how to create it, but i was wondering if any of you had a story-line, or any good features, that would make a good horror game.

Im asking all of you, due to the fact that i'm sure that most of you have played horror games, besides garrys mod, and i would like to ask you, if you have a certain idea, which would make a horror game frightening, in your opinion.

So please, if you have an idea, which will be beneficial towards me, please can you make sure to give me that, and i may possibly be creating a horror game, if i am given a good story-line, and perhaps some good features that can be added to it to.
The best horror games leave you with no way to fight back
You can only hide and pray.
The following 1 user Likes GRiiM's post:
  • ChrilLe
I think Bioshock is a good inspiration for a horror game, creepy environments, good story, creepy characters, etc. Just make sure you don't make a shitty generic jumpscare game, or anything remotely like Slender.
You should add a zombie looking guy with a consciousness.

Take Phineas and Ferb, add rotten and pale skin, give them red eyes, make them malicious and rapist.
Having a torch and and walking around dark areas ... Wink
Yours Truely,
-Oliver
(04-15-2013, 03:47 PM)Commander Fi5h Wrote: Hello everyone.

Recently i have been thinking about creating a horror game. I know entirely how to create it, but i was wondering if any of you had a story-line, or any good features, that would make a good horror game.

Im asking all of you, due to the fact that i'm sure that most of you have played horror games, besides garrys mod, and i would like to ask you, if you have a certain idea, which would make a horror game frightening, in your opinion.

So please, if you have an idea, which will be beneficial towards me, please can you make sure to give me that, and i may possibly be creating a horror game, if i am given a good story-line, and perhaps some good features that can be added to it to.

LIGHTS :
You're just a normal workman going to work. You go up the elevator and half way up to the floor you need to go to the elevator starts to slow down and the elevator lights start to dim. The light then goes out completely and then there is a slitherling sound behind you and then there is an alien scream. The screen then goes black for a few seconds. The lights then come back on and there's all blood splattered all arround the elevator and the door is left half open. You walk out the elevator and the wole floor that you're on is overgrown with leafes and everything. The lights are dimmed and you have to undergow puzzles to get to the top floor.
The consept :
The lights are dimmed and there are creepy noises play evey once and a while. Each floor is a has a different puzzle to get to the top level which will end the game. For example, you go into a room and it's a perfectly normal normal room with overgrown routes. Then suddenly the lights go out and scary music starts to play. Then items from the room start to fly with a green glow arround them and they start to be thrown at you. The lights start to flicker and the room starts to switch time zones from it's past and future. You can never be in the same room twice since whenever you exit one whenever you go back it's a different room. There will be random things happening all the time.
At the end of the game, you walk into the CEO's office and your character says boss? The boss turns round and walkes over to you. He tilts his head backwards, his mouth opens and tenticles start to crawl out and then the credis roll.
I kinda rushed this to please forgive my spelling and grammar mistakes. Hope this helped!
Kind Regards,
Link
Veteran

The following 1 user Likes Link's post:
  • Commander Fi5h
It must be made only based on your very own imagination of idea itself
The other "mechanics" I can share with you though

Fogs

Hallucinations - maybe something that you can see for a second but disappears instantly after you looked directly at it

Forest - nowadays (and I'm not talking just about Slender) most of good horror games use Forests or if you wanna go classical go for blood filled hospitals and schools

Jumpscares - self explanatory. One I remember really did scared me in a New recently released game Slender: Arrival. When you stand still just staring in forint of you for several seconds you can hear footsteps. They are getting louder as ... Someone is getting closer. When they got really loud as if something can't get any closer to you, footsteps sound stops. Last thing you wanna do, is to turn around. You can troll players however. Make nothing be behind them when they turn around... But when they turn back at the front whilst being relaxed *troll face*

VERY unexpected moments - this might need to involve more people so that they can leave their comments on it

Silence - make player get scared of only hearing his/her own footsteps, and nothing else around

No hints or tips - make players try and find out themselves on how to win or survive
Force them to survive

Night... Very, dark night

Bad ending. Get best of your horror imaginations at one last piece of the game
The following 1 user Likes Dr Tomorrow's post:
  • Commander Fi5h
Good luck
Multiplayer option! 5 players max? Just an idea.
You should have a flashlight, one that can run out and you'll have to wait like a minute or 30 seconds for it to be ready for use again.
The "monster"'s face should be really creepy, scars, blood on its face.
If your are interested in going completely viral, as well as getting one of the most scariest faces on the web, I would go with Jeff the Killer. There have been previous indie games based on him but they are pretty shitty, no story line, bad graphics, terrible jumpscares, basically just constant screamers. If you made a game where Jeff the Killer was chasing my ass in any type of building, I would shit my shit instantly. That's what people want these days if you are capable of doing it, make sure to include a story line instead of just having a scary psychopath chasing you. Good Luck.