Robbing
Can you rob as unemployed do you need a reason to rob people? If so what type of reason would this be? (People in real life dont need reasons to rob)
Yes, get a reason first.

Good this isn't real life then.
The following 1 user Likes Narc's post:
  • Russkie
You cannot take cars without an RP reason but I think you can mugg people on the street. But I think you should ask for a realistic ammount, for example £20.
I remember a guy came up to me once and asked me for 300,000,000 K XD
Kind Regards,
Link
Veteran

The following 1 user Likes Link's post:
  • toby_games2
You must have a valid role play reason to rob somebody, with out one, you run the risk of being suspended from the servers.
Regards,
aviator
I wrote this on Steam Guides, but I honestly can't find a better area to apply this towards:

Quote:Broken Cog Theory, is a theory which has been devised within a circle of critics who believe that over-time, the poor implementation of economics, player freedoms, and otherwise has lead to outright chaos within the Garry's Mod roleplay community.

In order for us to start understanding the issues with the Garry's Mod community we must start from where the initial cog broke apart(poor gameplay mechanics), and begin to understand the long term effects of the broken cog.

The First Broken Cog - Economics
Our first broken cog will be something which is on every server as a means of artificial progression within the gamemode. Of course, I'm speaking of economics. In Garry's Mod roleplay, economics, or some bastardized form of economics, has been used to slow down the progression of the player within the gamemode, and normally this wouldn't be an issue if it was actual economics, but the way it's done presently is quiet worry-some.

For ease of use, I'll be using DarkRP as my example to explain some form of bastardized economics. In DarkRP, we have something known as a "Slate Based Economy" or otherwise known as simply within gaming lango, "Credit Banking". How this type of economy works is that the player does rudimentary tasks, and sell the produce of these tasks to a merchant who will always sell, and buy the items that the player harvested for the exact same price every-time. Simple enough right?

So how does this system apply in DarkRP? Well, every item in DarkRP is infinite, and players can therefore keep purchasing items so long as they have the money to do so. This is bad. If the players are to get whatever they want without any form of penalty, they'll do just that. In some cases this has(and always will) lead to violence within the server which the gamemode is on.

This is one of the first pillars of the Broken Cog Theory, namely because it's the easiest to attack, but this isn't the only argument which goes against DarkRP's way of managing money. Some players and critics could also point out that in DarkRP, the only form of money-production is highly illegal. I'm of course referring to "contraband" or for those who are not some oldies from "Sewious RP"; money printers, illegal narcotics, and firearms.

We can see from that example alone that something is seriously wrong within DarkRP. If the only form of economic-gain will get you arrested, then whats stopping short of saying that DarkRP isn't roleplay, but a slow-paced deathmatch?

Don't think I'm zoning out on DarkRP. Several gamemodes have this exact same issue, but do a slightly better job of covering it, and I won't be sparing these ones any refugee either.

The Second Broken Cog - Player Freedom
The second broken cog is regarding how limited players are within roleplay gamemodes. Now this may seem very arbitrary for most, but I'd like to believe that if a player can be banned for "FailRP" then the entire server which banned the player has failed to create any form of roleplay at all. Sounds strange saying this? Well let me explain...

One rule which all servers have in common is the rule regarding something called "Random Death Match" and for myself, I'd like to believe that enforcing this rule is nigh impossible. The main reason for this is the 1st Broken Cog, and how it influences over the entire playerbase of the server. In some respects, players which are already pitted against each other(Contrafarmers vs Government), will always fight each other, and this is just a given. For some reason though, most players want to get around this by enforcing morale grey-zone rules which could change from player to player. RDM is one such grey-zone rule. Each and every players, has their own interptation or belief set for what RDM is, and how it should be enforced. As for myself though, I like a simple approach to Random Death Match, by applying the 1st Broken Cog:

PlayerX shoots PlayerZ, what was his reason?
First off, we are seeing the incident(or action) within a Victim's Perspective. This means we are judging from PlayerZ, who was shot, and yes it will always come back as "random". This is namely because PlayerZ is unaware of the motives that PlayerX has, and of course, cannot understand them.
If you apply the fact that the gamemode has broken mechanics, it becomes rather obvious that PlayerX is acting out of social norms, and therefore all you need to answer your question of, "What was his reason" is "PlayerX shot first".

Another rule which is similar in practice(and concept) are rules regarding things such as "New Life Rule". Every server has a different application and different understanding of how to enforce this rule, and as mentioned before this rule is incredibly iffy. What we do know is this though... When you die(ingame), you are to forget what has ever happened to you in a past life, and in certain cases you may not return to the area you died in for at least fifteen minutes.

Aside from the already glaring issues with this rule regarding not being able to return to the area you died for at-least fifteen minutes, it should be noted that this rule is also nigh impossible to enforce, and the basis of it's interpretation will always change from player to player.
One issue I personally have with this rule is when I'm playing the Police, and I am killed during a raid. With NLR, I may not return to the building I was raiding for at least 15 Minutes... But what happens when someone says, "Hey Officer Skylynx! We need you at ~placeyoudied~!"

Should I ignore this order whole heartily knowing the repercussions of my actions will resolve with me being banned from the roleplay? Or should I get demoted for ignoring superiors or failing to help fellow officers? How do I supposedly forget this incident, if someone is reminding me when I spawn and therefore getting around NLR?

The problem is with a rule like this is it's completely susceptible to bias, and with how much grey-zone exists within it, it's almost impossible to not have different interpretations of the rule. Rules like this also create issues between the players and admins of servers, because the admins are given free-will to enforce these rules how they see fit, and as said before this can lead to cases where the admin can pull the old jack from his or her sleeve, and end up banning a player under the pretense of something with a grey zone.

All though I'm sure no one wants to give up admins, in order to fix the 2nd Cog, admins need to become the players, and have limited powers which actually don't effect roleplay. Players will also need to be able to take up roles within the server, an be able to create events such as how the admins did before them before their powers were limited.

These are the primary cogs brought up within the Broken Cog Theory. Other cogs may be added later down the road as they are brought up in the comments, but until then... Too the closing thoughts!

Basically, finding a reason isn't exactly all that hard if you stick with Broken Cog Theory(tldr: if your robbing someone, you have a reason)
[Image: EglEnZU.gif]
The following 1 user Likes Joey Skylynx's post:
  • Russkie
I heard from admins you cannot mug "on the street" as it breaks FearRP (everyone can see you and you could be arrested immediately) and FailRP (no one mugs in a busy city) I heard multiple admins say you can only mug in realistic places like alley ways and you can only ask them to "empty their pockets" and then tell them over LOOC to just drop a realistic "pocket" amount like $20 - $100

The following 1 user Likes buffalobagingi's post:
  • toby_games2
uh...
People get mugged all the time in busy cities. It's actually more common for someone to blitz grab in the middle of a busy street thanks to the bystander effect.
As for "mugging for realistic amounts" lets talk inflation.
In RL, the average thing of takeout would roughly cost me $5 to $8. Takeout on Fearless costs roughly $250.
If you don't want to plug the numbers in...
The prices in Fearless are inflated by about x50 or x31, with these numbers... The sensible mugging amount after adjusting for inflation is about $1,000 - $10,000 per mugging.
Probably higher, but were playing safely here.

So yeah, if your adjusting for the actual inflation within the server, each mugging could make you roughly $1,000 - $10,000, so long as the person you are mugging isn't carrying any dakkah.
[Image: EglEnZU.gif]
The following 1 user Likes Joey Skylynx's post:
  • Russkie