[DEBATE] Passive Economies creates Passive RP
In December 2011, Fearless was going through an period which could be simply labeled as the Prime of the Fish Market and the Period of Peace. This time-frame complemented the entry of several trading groups/guilds on the server which created vast amounts of Passive RP, Clan RP, and also fostered the only economy the server has actually experienced.
The nursing mother of this era was the passive-economy known as the Fish Market, which went into its' prime years somewhere in late November, 2011. The Fish Market which existed primarily on the name-staked food item, and it's profit margins were very serious for the time. $500 per fish... $600 per fish... The prices were always changing, but they generally stayed in higher profit margins. At the time, players would rather go fishing then contrafarm, and this is where my debate begins.

After the Fish Market collapsed in January, 2012, with the discovery of the +reload AFK/Fishing Glitch, players began returning to contrafarming. An Aggressive RP money production which produced far-less money compared to the Fish Economy at it's prime. This period though, was marked with an increase in bans, clan conflicts, and several incidents of players using Stut Torture[DDoS Attacks].
With an increase in contrafarmers, and lack of peaceful economics... Several clans were forced to begin running Security Firms, Protection Groups, and Contrafort Manufacturers. The culmination of conflicting interests later lead to the FUMUKU-SAA War. An invalid war which never obeyed standard clan rules, and lead to several groups being closed down, as well as tens if not hundred of innocent players being banned for picking sides.

It's within my belief and complete understanding of CityRP's situation, that Passive Economies could of stopped several conflicts from ever erupting in the first place.
I would like people to give their own beliefs in this debate.
From what you say I completely agree with you.

I was never around to experience the Fish Market days of old and so my experience of money making (At least in the early hours when money meant more to me) was of contrafarming.

I feel we need to do more to try and re-create the passive economy of old or to try and create new methods.
Personally, the problem for a lot of things are usually because there is no point or there is a better way to do it:

1. Weed. And drugs in general. Most of the time people only use drugs in clubs or stoner RP, but to EVERYONE else they are useless, and cocaine is a pain in the ass. That's why there is a weed NPC.

2. Chinese. Goldfish cannot be sold for anymore than 600 except to idiots. Because two chinese equals one goldfish, and two chinese is 600. So that, right there, limits the fish market. Also, that's another thing with chefs, I swear I never sell anything except for chinese. Just because it's the easiest food to get and cheapest.

Not to mention when people buy a fishing rod and never pay for food again.
I just saw a Roleplay thread where a player was going to be selling fish for $50 each...

Oh how far it has fallen.
My personal opinion is remove any of the spawnable foods, or make it so they are grown/harvested. You'll vastly improve anything relating to food with that.
The following 1 user Likes Joey Skylynx's post:
  • BlackDog
Yeah, I saw that thread as well. It's a good deal, I could stock up or even just resell them for 200/300. Hell, even 400.
(12-22-2012, 09:45 AM)Lil_Rimmy333 Wrote: Yeah, I saw that thread as well. It's a good deal, I could stock up or even just resell them for 200/300. Hell, even 400.

Thats quite a horrible thing though, as a person who can stockpile 200-400 fish in their backpack no longer needs to actualy take part in any kind of food market that would ever pop up, and the money they need to spend to aquire that food at that price is not even enough to make a real impact in the server
Saint Dogbert: The patron saint of technology
[Image: Saint_dogbert.jpg]
(12-22-2012, 09:43 AM)Adman Wrote: I just saw a Roleplay thread where a player was going to be selling fish for $50 each...

Oh how far it has fallen.

[Image: 694.png]
Oh how I long for the old days.
(12-22-2012, 09:43 AM)Joey Skylynx Wrote: My personal opinion is remove any of the spawnable foods, or make it so they are grown/harvested. You'll vastly improve anything relating to food with that.

Raw food gets farmed and harvested, sold to cooks who process it, which is then sold to people to eat or cook more.

Food prices always are based on the supply and demand and work it takes to create it
Saint Dogbert: The patron saint of technology
[Image: Saint_dogbert.jpg]
(12-22-2012, 09:51 AM)BlackDog Wrote:
(12-22-2012, 09:43 AM)Joey Skylynx Wrote: My personal opinion is remove any of the spawnable foods, or make it so they are grown/harvested. You'll vastly improve anything relating to food with that.

Raw food gets farmed and harvested, sold to cooks who process it, which is then sold to people to eat or cook more.

Food prices always are based on the supply and demand and work it takes to create it

Yes, that could work, but here's the problem:

You miss out on ONE of the jobs, and the food economy is screwed.

Personally I think this should happen:

Chefs can spawn in really bad food, that is pretty expensive.

Chefs and Unemployed can grow ingredients that chefs can make into food.

Chefs then make good food that is then sold.

The reason why unemployed can do it is so they can sell a lot of ingredients to chefs. I think the chefs should be able to have 5 plant/food pots and unemployed can have 10, which means they can grow more and faster than the chefs. The reason for this is so the chef can still grow stuff, but suppliers can actually work, as they make far more food than the chefs, and more, better, cheaper food means more business, so it's a good deal.