Regarding racism/homophobia, staff punishments vs player punishments, etc.
(12-05-2012, 08:08 PM)Adman Wrote:
(12-05-2012, 07:51 PM)Zzzzap Wrote: -snip-
-snip-

I wish i hadn't said anything now, kinda makes me look stupid and too 'trigger-happy', or too quick to jump on things, know what i mean?
Nuka
Modelling/Texturing Contributor
Good day players and forum users of FearlessRP,

As a matter of fact, this is a forum where we all can express our personal opinions, which is a sincere and good thing: opinions should be compared all the time, because one human can't overthink so many opinions that he can filter all the bad ones. Freedom of speech is good as it opens new ways for all of us. It helps us in not getting clamped to our own thoughts. Don't get me wrong, I prefer creating a whole new opinion, which exactly strikes my thoughts, nevertheless both exorbitant copying and creating of opinions clamp down what both ways of dealing exist for: coming to the conclusion which resembles the truth, honesty, justice and rightness the best of all others.

That is why there exists something like a bad opinion and a good one. Although we all learn and try to think it doesn't, it truely is in existence. Let me explain.

Bad opinions only show one corner of the room, they only lit up the centre of the cave. What does it help to see the middle if you will never know the truth, the way out, the whole room? Basicaly we all try to escape from that room, that cave, as humans. How do we do that?

First of all, there's these humans who crawl and go to the dark, who feel the walls as their sense of orientation gets lost. They might find the exit, although some need a longer time to do so. But surely they will once see the light, even if it's only a slight glanse.

Then, there's these who copy and go, they follow the paths of their predecessors. They don't have to think because they are re-enacting what another one did.

Both ways are prefectly fine. People have the right to do whatever they want, but from my philosophical approach, I prefer the first. I, however, have to say that experimenting and creating new opinions isn't always a good thing. Actually, sometimes it's better to slavely follow another one. My point is: you are doing the most correct while combining both, and in that way a good opinion exists. It's more than just whatever you want to hear, it's what everyone can consider correct. Some people are more inventive, others are more of the follower-type, but don't get me wrong: both are equally disgraceful. Anyone who wants to do just, just does it via a combination of both methods.

Conclude that you have to rethink and compare your own opinions all the time. If you don't produce them (try to overthink from whoever you might have copied your ideas, that helps), I advise you to think about other opinions, possibly created by other people. Sincerely rethinking means putting your own meaning and thoughts aside. It's just a method that takes getting used to.

Opinions and words, however, are a whole different thing! Opinions might be expressed by a word, but, as we have our own opinions, we tend to filter the context of a word to match our own thoughts. What is correct in that? Nothing, indeed. You are just getting back to the central room in the cave you tried to escape from. But, the context...

Well, first of all the context starts over here, at this very page and at this very computer and the internet and at anything you can see through you very own eyes and hear by your ears. Isn't it strange? We can't trust our senses. Add up that on the Internet, we only use some basic senses. You can't see ones visual expression, nor can you hear their intonation. All of our dear senses are muffled by a hazy cloud. And that is, my people, why one shouldn't be offended by anything happening on the Internet, if the people don't mean anything to you, nor are related to you by any means, in real life. It doesn't matter if you are called a homo, a ***n-word*** or whatever. As long as you can't see any true context, and as long as they can't see you, the context your parents have created by giving you the chance to set foot on this planet, words are nothing but a useless bunch of letters.

If I can quote myself: "Words that have to fly, volatilized be their expression, when they come flying to our mind." Once a word leaves the safe brain of a visionist and thinker, nobody will be able to exactly replicate the thoughts the thinker went through, and so it is inutile to think of words more than they truely are: a bunch of letters. Things can only get truely interesting in a dialogue, face to face, as then you can see one's gestures and expressions.

We all enjoy RP'ing, don't we? What we try to do, is trying to bring contextual expression and experience in a place where it's otherwise impossible, the Internet. That is why we have to seek our way out of that cave, but sometimes also have to follow. Dominance won't help all the time, idem for inferiority; deal with it. Doesn't that explain why the fact of banning racism and homophobia altoghether is a bad thing? It makes us followers, and if we sometimes seek dominance, which sometimes is needed, people will get banned. Altough rules are normal and perfectly fine in a community (and even in a singularity), limiting people in RP to call a white man an "off-white twitch with branching legs and arms" instead of ***rascist expression that isn't mentioned*** is ridiculous. This also applies to other subjects of discrimination, being thick, being way too thing, being "normal" (that is a mere illusion), having another sexual preference or being of a different ethnic origin. It doesn't matter, as long as people have a finely recreated context (using /me and /it and good RP), things can't be wrong. It's only if they start to use it regularly, without a true contextual reason and OOC that problems are formed.

Also, reacting overly doesn't help. I, for one, am too one who doesn't fit in the archetype our society (another problem to write a philosophical text about) proscribes, hence me writing this text. We all should try not to neglect who we are, nor what we were. I don't mind if you call me a fatass, or an idiot; I sincerely don't care, because I truely am. I know what I am and aknowledge. If we all would do that one thing, the world would be a very nice place.

Does that mean that extreme opinions are alright? No, because they aren't compared against their antonyms and contraries and to the more moderate opinions. But if we would all accept that we are different, that we are what we truely are, there's no need to feel offended by a word on the Internet that only tries to scratch our surface, that can't incinerate our inside. Actually, I think that if you feel hurt by someone's comment about yourself, you still have to learn how to face and cope with yourself. Call me fat, call me an idiot, you have to right to express yourself, but I would pity myself if I had to feel offended by the noncontextual word of a fellow human, whilst neglecting the person I am at the same time.

Thanks for you time,

7ears

P.S.: I'm only expressing my opinion. You can add and comment ad voluntatem. That is what we all can all learn of. I'm not directing this post to anyone, if that were my goal, I would have quoted someone.
P.P.S.: I am aware that some words have grown from very negative origins and that using these words is very weak, but as time passes contexts differ too. I.e.: black people calling themselves ***you know what n-word***. But there is a difference between expressing one single word and being completely discriminative. For discrimination counts: if you do discriminate or have discriminative thoughts, you haven't reflected upon other people's opinions or tried to think about other opinions. There's no reason for discrimination.

EDIT: corrected several spelling mistakes, as English isn't my mother-tongue.
© Nudelholz
The following 3 users Like 7rozen_7ear_'s post:
  • The.mainframe, DoomDude1, PrivateToast
(12-06-2012, 02:01 PM)7rozen_7ear_ Wrote: It's only if they start to use it regularly, without a true contextual reason and OOC that problems are formed.

And this is what I was trying to state, I apologise if I wasn't clear. In all honesty, Zzzzap's case was an overreaction. What is to be avoided would perhaps be rage threads aimed at specific groups that have no real reason. i.e 'F*ckin' Jews stole my lambo' and then going on a tangent about Jews or 'Damn f*gg*ts egged my house' and then raging at homosexuals.

Very well written I must say.
The following 1 user Likes Adman's post:
  • 7rozen_7ear_
(12-06-2012, 02:01 PM)7rozen_7ear_ Wrote: -super long snip-

Would've been easier to read in Comic Sans.
I don't really agree with homosexuality but I will respect the rules.
[Image: ymcmsigcopycopy2.png]

"I roll the nickles man, I make the money, the games mine" - Earl Greylington
(12-06-2012, 11:12 PM)Xing Wrote: I don't really agree with homosexuality but I will respect the rules.

As in you don't agree with homosexuality be real or don't agree with not being able to use the term?
Oh I'm sorry... I thought this was an RP server... silly me...

On a serious note I'm against homophobia and racism and I do agree if it's out of character sure ban them but IC... really.

"Common sense shouldn't be called common sense any more because it just isn't common!"
I also believe that in character should be exempt. When you're roleplaying, you're acting out a real scene. Some words add to the realism.
The following 1 user Likes mono's post:
  • 7rozen_7ear_
(12-06-2012, 11:59 PM)mono Wrote:
(12-06-2012, 11:12 PM)Xing Wrote: I don't really agree with homosexuality but I will respect the rules.

As in you don't agree with homosexuality be real or don't agree with not being able to use the term?

It's more of a lifestyle choice but I believe some people have the biological disorder.
[Image: ymcmsigcopycopy2.png]

"I roll the nickles man, I make the money, the games mine" - Earl Greylington
So you think its a disorder to be Gay or Lesbian or even Bi?
Regards,
aviator