[Examples/Advises] Roleplaying Tips/Suggestions
The following are some tips you can use to get more involved with the roleplay on the CityRP server. Some of them are straight forward, some of them require some practice.

OOC tips

Try to write with proper grammar and punctuation. Capitalising a sentence, appropriate use of apostrophe and a dot to signify the end of a sentence. Using commas, exclamation marks or question marks. These things will not only make you come across as a better roleplayer, they will make you come across as a more intelligent individual.

Seperate your In Character (IC) chat and Out Of Character (OOC) chat. You need to use to special commands to use In Character, as it is the default. OOC however is achieved by typing // before the sentence for Global OOC or .// for local OOC. Note that insults or threats in OOC are against the server rules, think twice before doing so.

PM is considered OOC, but can also be used for IC, for an example you could use a "(PHONE)" tag in front of the message, but limit your use to only suitable situations and things. If you use PM to call somebody for help in the wrong situation, this is considered metagaming.

Value your life. You need food, water and shelter in real life, you should aim to RP having these needs too. When someone holds you at gun point, fear RP is required of you on this server. If this happens, you must comply with any reasonable demands of your hostage taker and may not pull a weapon of your own.

Use reasons, not excuses for doing things. This is self-explanatory. Too often people undergo certain actions for 'reasons', while it is technically just a petty excuse. I am afraid I cannot explain this any further and it will be up to every individual to understand this tip.

IC tips

Think of a character to play. The most important rule I learned when I first started roleplaying is 'You are not your character and your character is not you.' Granted, most people choose to base their character of of themselves, but there is so much more to roleplay. You can do many things. Think of a name, a background, an age, a nationality. Has your character graduated with some school? Has he done time? Does he have an accent? Get creative! You can use the Description field in the F1 menu to add those details.

Communication. Let's be fair, people. What good is roleplaying if you don't communicate with one another? You've already used the above tip to think of a character. Now it's time to meet other people. Try small talk, chatter, banter or whatnot. Try trading with full sentences instead of just the object or a price. When you're playing a policeman or organised crime member, use the radio actively. Report in on it, state your location, who you're with. The possibilities are endless.

Get organised. Are you leading the government, a gang of crooks or maybe a syndicate of conspiring chefs? Good! But know what's even better? If you get everything organised. The President alone has access to the powerful tools of changing laws and the /demote command. Make use of it! If people are derping around, act on it. If you're a gang leader, you have to get your act together twice as hard. Get people to follow your lead. Get them to co-operate. And most of all, be an example to them OOCly. If they're shooting every cop they're seeing, chances are your entire gang will be boned.

If you've feedback, please add it, if any corrections, please do also add it.
The following 1 user Likes Narc's post:
  • aviator
Good job improving it. Thread approved!
Are Private Messages strictly OOC? I have used them IC very frequently, as text messages or phone calls; even with admins.
PM's work as both OOC and IC.
(11-04-2012, 04:06 PM)Adman Wrote: Are Private Messages strictly OOC? I have used them IC very frequently, as text messages or phone calls; even with admins.

As StillAlive says, but I'd say that you have to roleplay it if you absolutely have to use it, like make it work as a phone; (PHONE) Hey, let's meet at the GHQ in two minutes?

I'd say that you'd have to limit your use of it, like if you're in a situation where you're fighting, you don't have time to sit down and send a text.
(11-05-2012, 09:22 AM)Narcotic Wrote:
(11-04-2012, 04:06 PM)Adman Wrote: Are Private Messages strictly OOC? I have used them IC very frequently, as text messages or phone calls; even with admins.

As StillAlive says, but I'd say that you have to roleplay it if you absolutely have to use it, like make it work as a phone; (PHONE) Hey, let's meet at the GHQ in two minutes?

I'd say that you'd have to limit your use of it, like if you're in a situation where you're fighting, you don't have time to sit down and send a text.

Right ok, just checking as the way you stated it made it seem as if any IC usage is against the rules etc.
Looking to do some improvements with the way it's set up today.
Another tips for chef:
Do not just make food but make a oven go there and try to *cook*