Admin Protocol
This is in no way a disrespect / hate thread towards admins and I apologise in advance to any admins who feel singled out by this thread.

Hi. As stated above please do not take offense to this as it is mearly just a suggestion and only requires a mature/non abusive response.

I have witnessed on the servers previously and through un-ban requests, that a small number of admins are banning players without pulling them aside to explain to the person what they have done, asking why they committed the offense and informing them of the punishment being placed against them.

Now to be quite honest I do not want to name the admins as it would be seen as bullying although that is not how I intend it to come across. I do not in any way critisize the way you administrate the server but mearly suggest a different course of action.

Preferably pulling the person aside and enquiring into the offense instead of instantly banning that person. That way there may be less unanaswered ban requests

Thanks
Some admins do this but it depends on what situation they are in.
For example say I started prop-pushing and an admin came to tell
me to stop and I prop-push the admin he/she will have to either
decide to keep trying to warn them or enforce the rules.

-/+ support
No i do understand that sometimes an admin feels there is no other option but to enforce a ban, but I however do not believe that in any situation there isn't a solution. For Example:

Player begins to prop push players and vehicles - Admin attempts to talk to player but then admin is on the receiving end of the prop pushin: Result : Freeze the player (if that option isn't available then it should be) - Once frozen he is completely harmless and then the process can begin.

"You are being banned for prop pushing players/admins/vehicles and adding a negative atmoshpere to the server community" - Obviously the player can not deny it because that player will have been caught red handed by the admin and the ban can take place.

-------------------------------------------------

Another example: Player runs over another players that was standing on the pavement - Admin attempts to talk to the player by asking them to get of the vehicle and then teleporting them over to a quiet area :: Bare in mind that this possibly could have been an accident. Whether the person was on the pavement or not. It is actually possible to have had a frozen game and lost control (You cant deny that it has never happened). :: Deal with the situation calmy, ask them what happened and enquire as to whether it was deliberate or accidental. Obviously they will most likely tell you it was accidental whether its the truth or not but unless you actually have sufficient proof (not word of mouth, sorry but words rarely mean anything and could be biased) don't instantly ban. Put them on observation.

(Where I work IRL, we have patients on Observation levels 1-4:
Level 1 - Check back to the person every hour
Level 2 - Check back to the person every 30 minutes
Level 3 - Check back every 10 minutes
Level 4 - Constant observation (Line of sight) )

For instance: Just to ensure you are following our rules, I'm going to be checking up on you every "10 Minutes" for a period of 30 Minutes. If within the 30 minutes I feel that you are behaving, I will pursue no further action. If however it seems that you are not following the rules in place, you will be banned for a period of time.

It doesnt have to be as formal as I have made it but I feel that if players realise admins are not jumping to conclusions and are actually following a certain protocol giving them the opportunity to redeem themselves, it may offer a better future for Fearless.

Admins I understand you have jobs and a life outside of garrys mod but you must also remember that you did choose to take on the role as an Administrator and therefore you have the responsibility to set an example. If a child IRL was misbehaving would you give him/her the worst form of punishment straight away or offer him/her a chance to settle down and behave?

Please take this into consideration. It could work. It should work
This is a made up story
See here is the thing. Whenever you join the server the first thing that appears is the rules. Now I might have to make the suggestion that you read these rules. Once you have knowledge of the rules you can then start playing on the server. You decide to go police officer and you were killed in a gun fight. It happens no need to worry. So now you think it is a good idea to go straight back there and break NLR. Then you are ban instantly for breaking NLR. You then are enraged and go and make a ban request about how whoever banned you did without a reason and didnt talk to you. But the whole thing could of been avoided if you would of just read the rules whenever they popped up for you.

I dont think administrators need to stop what they are doing just to tell you why you are getting banned. They dont need to sit there and argue with you while getting 20 more @ calls. And if you really have a problem with it then you can make an unban request and try and tell everyone how you didnt break the rules.

Edit: It is nice to know why you are getting banned if you do, but it shouldnt be forced. This suggestion is saying they basically need to pull everyone and let them know what they did wrong. I can only see this being needed if they break a "non-written rule" but if it is in the rules you should know better
The following 3 users Like Fultz's post:
  • Spartan, Rain999, User 5190
I do not totally disagree with you. Im not suggesting they pull EVERYONE... but with the likes of "CDM" and other minor offenses, they should investigate as there are a few (only a small amount) of admins who unfortunately think "HE RAN OVER SOMEONE! BAN HIM!" Things happen accidently from time to time but some admins dont realise that and it goes way over their heads...

Sorry to all admins but to a select few of you unfortunately this is true. And as for Unban requests, two or three admins (One in particular who I will not name) turn into extreme cocky smart-arses and once again I'm sorry but I have witnessed this. Yet if a player says the slightest thing to an admin that can be seen as insultive or rude... its an immediate kick up the arse and into next week. If you can't take it, dont give it.
Normally pulling aside intentional rule breakers doesn't work, They either ignore you, Run away or disconnect. Therefore making the admins job more time consuming.
This is already in our protocols.
[Image: get.php?s=STEAM_0:1:15472195&b=9]
Make your own dynamic signature by clicking here.
(07-12-2012, 03:04 PM)Soul Wrote: This is already in our protocols.

Well that is good to hear Soul. Like I said I am not trying to be disrespectful but unfortunately although you put so much hard work into the server, selective admins are choosing to ban/kick first ask questions never.

I have seen so many amazing admins on this server but it is let down by those 2-3 who are not doing the job correctly and respond to un-ban requests inappropriately and rather immaturely.
@Fultzy

I just have to say this though, since there are so many rules, unless it breaks a major one like NLR, you should be talked to. I doubt any player, Admins included, could list every rule off the top of their head verbatim. Also with RDM and CDM you should still ask if they have a reason. An RDM could very well have a real RP reason, or a CDM could have been a computer freeze.
Moved
(07-12-2012, 03:04 PM)SoulRipper Wrote: This is already in our protocols.

Moved.