Finally getting a new PC (Well, I hope so)
(06-05-2012, 06:40 PM)StillAlive Wrote: Hmm. It's a risk, I guess. Cool

And sorry if I'm a bit dumb right now but... Wouldn't I just be able to buy an eksternal hard drive later on, if I come to realize that 100GB isn't enough? Then just store the stuff on it.

yes, an external hard drive would do fine. They are usually used for backup and storage, but I suppose it could work for that too. However, the problem there is that it is plugged in with a USB. that will cause the transfer rate from the hard drive to the computer much slower, which could bottleneck your PC once again. that is why external drives are used for storage and backup usually, not as a primary or secondary storage drive. I have never tried to run games off of an external drive, so I cannot state any personal experiences however I know that lower transfer rate = lower performance.
[Image: kby7oh.jpg]

Thanks Reliqua (:
Yeah and I wouldn't like that. Hmm I'll try contacting the company and hear about the GB possibilities.

Once again, thank you for answering, Ruskin Smile
Heres my advice:

- Drop the SSD drive down to a 60GB for a boot drive, then buy maybe a 500 GB HDD drive for storage. Meaning that you get a 2-3 second boot for the PC, but still have a reasonable amount of storage for games, programs, etc. There's no need to buy a really large SSD drive unless you are writing a lot of data and you save about $40-$50 to make up for the cost of the other HDD. I run my Steam client and store all the games on an external drive, you could do that if youd like, but if the external drive is disconnected, it causes issues with the Steam client. Helps with portability though, if you dont want to carry your hard drive everywhere.

- Ivy Bridges are a decent line of CPUs, but if you were wishing to overclock it to high clock speeds, than chances are you are going to fry the CPU. The Ivy Bridge uses a much smaller heat dye than the Sandy Bridge series all for the sake of a 22 nm CPU technology. I would just keep back a generation with the i5-2500K Sandy Bridge, it overclocks better and is about $50 cheaper for about a 10% performance drop.

- Not to say that the PSU you picked is too much, but if you were wanting to save money, you could definitely buy a smaller one. Be Quiet! brand is considered a Tier 3 brand meaning it is stable, but could have some issues. Seasonic and Corsair are well known and solid brands as well.

- The graphic card is solid, I use a more modified version of it being the 448 CUDA core edition and have no issues with FPS on any of the above mentioned games. Though it will depends on the resolution of your monitor and how high you run it. The higher the resolution , the more VRAM your graphic card requires. Some games also just require higher usage of VRAM like GTA 4, so a GTX 670 is a pretty solid GPU, if you were looking to player games that require more VRAM. Otherwise good choice on the card.

Ruskin, I will beat you to the next one. Till we meet again!
Buy my Laptop.

It can play Sims3 just about.

It also has windows 8 permanently leeched into it -_- I blame Andreas.

I'm Serious, please buy it.....
The following 1 user Likes Dryblood's post:
  • equal
(06-05-2012, 09:12 PM)wweee2345 Wrote: Heres my advice:

- Drop the SSD drive down to a 60GB for a boot drive, then buy maybe a 500 GB HDD drive for storage. Meaning that you get a 2-3 second boot for the PC, but still have a reasonable amount of storage for games, programs, etc. There's no need to buy a really large SSD drive unless you are writing a lot of data and you save about $40-$50 to make up for the cost of the other HDD. I run my Steam client and store all the games on an external drive, you could do that if youd like, but if the external drive is disconnected, it causes issues with the Steam client. Helps with portability though, if you dont want to carry your hard drive everywhere.

- Ivy Bridges are a decent line of CPUs, but if you were wishing to overclock it to high clock speeds, than chances are you are going to fry the CPU. The Ivy Bridge uses a much smaller heat dye than the Sandy Bridge series all for the sake of a 22 nm CPU technology. I would just keep back a generation with the i5-2500K Sandy Bridge, it overclocks better and is about $50 cheaper for about a 10% performance drop.

- Not to say that the PSU you picked is too much, but if you were wanting to save money, you could definitely buy a smaller one. Be Quiet! brand is considered a Tier 3 brand meaning it is stable, but could have some issues. Seasonic and Corsair are well known and solid brands as well.

- The graphic card is solid, I use a more modified version of it being the 448 CUDA core edition and have no issues with FPS on any of the above mentioned games. Though it will depends on the resolution of your monitor and how high you run it. The higher the resolution , the more VRAM your graphic card requires. Some games also just require higher usage of VRAM like GTA 4, so a GTX 670 is a pretty solid GPU, if you were looking to player games that require more VRAM. Otherwise good choice on the card.

Wweee, we will see about that Smile

I agree with all of his suggestions. Wweee, do you notice any of your steam games running slow on the portable drive? Since it is USB connected it is slower, however it must not have a large affect on the games you play.

I have never seen Be Quiet! Brand on PSU's. newegg must not carry that brand.

As he said before it is an already built PC, so he might not be able to make some of the changes you specified. But, they are all good changes.
[Image: kby7oh.jpg]

Thanks Reliqua (:
(06-05-2012, 11:18 PM)Ruskin Wrote:
(06-05-2012, 09:12 PM)wweee2345 Wrote: Heres my advice:

Wweee, we will see about that Smile

I agree with all of his suggestions. Wweee, do you notice any of your steam games running slow on the portable drive? Since it is USB connected it is slower, however it must not have a large affect on the games you play.

I have never seen Be Quiet! Brand on PSU's. newegg must not carry that brand.

As he said before it is an already built PC, so he might not be able to make some of the changes you specified. But, they are all good changes.

Be Quiet! is a European only brand I believe, but there tiered at level 3 currently.

Eh not really, Try to keep my parts as stable as possible with less bottleneck.

My current rig:
FX-8120 8-Core CPU
ASUS GTX 560 Ti 448 Core Edition
8GB 1666 Mhz Corsair Vengence LP
320 GB WD laptop drive
PC Power & Cooling Silencer MK II 750W
And a M5A99X-EVO AM3+ Mobo

Windows 8 is disgusting, its basically just smart phone OS without any decent features. It takes out the Dual Boot option so many people loved as well. Get rid of it now, please.
With the harddrive. Don't get fraps.. it will murder it. You could probably fit maybe 10 minutes. MAYBE.
FUMUKU
WAS THE BEST THING TO EVER HAPPEN TO FEARLESS RP

UNBAN BLACKDOG
(06-06-2012, 03:46 AM)Aoixification Wrote: With the harddrive. Don't get fraps.. it will murder it. You could probably fit maybe 10 minutes. MAYBE.

Eh its only really because FRAPS releases a raw video file instead of a compressed file such as WLV format, MP4, etc.
Once it is compressed from there, a two GB video can go down to almost 30-40 MB.
Reminds me of this one time with grub

Quote:Grub: Wweee, do you know any fast uploading sites for video?
Me: Just use Youtube
Grub: Youtube is too slow and wont let me upload my videos
Me: You using FRAPS?
Grub: Yes, but why?
Me: Your file is like 2.2 GB large than for just a 2 minute video
Grub: What?!

Ah, what a funny day that was!
Thanks for your input, Wwee! Loving the effort you put into explaining.

So what if I'm not aiming at "overclocking" (I don't even know what that is) and it's only going to be used like it was when I received it?
Well 'overclocking' is a term for increasing the clock speeds on the CPU by adjusting the multiplier to a higher level, sometimes motherboards have built in stock 'overclocking', where it will push one core to a higher clock speed if you hit a switch or press a button on the motherboard itself. Most people try to overclock to increase there performance such as program load time, response time, etc. Overclocking can be dangerous as it can fry your whole rig, if you dont watch the Voltage level and temperature. Though as long as you're not pushing the limits too far, then you will often be safe adjusting it teeny bits at a time.

An Example like so, you're stock clock speeds are around maybe 3.3 Ghz (per say), by adjusting the settings through the motherboard or through a program on your PC, you can adjust the multiplier to the point where it runs at around 3.9 Ghz. You get a small boost in performance when its comes to programs, writing data, etc. Though in exchange, you receive more heat through the heat die on your CPU fan and a CPU can handle lets say 125 Celsius. So overclocking can be a decent thing in moderation, though I would not suggest doing it.

You should be fine with the stock speeds on your CPU. Intel has good quality processors, if you want to spend the money for it. An Intel processor can last you ages and still be a decent CPU especially with the hyperthreading that Intel offers on select CPU's that have 4 physical cores and 4 virtual cores. (Some people like to think its 8 cores, but in reality, all 4 cores share resources instead of running everything on one core and then pouring over to another one.) Not to mention that Intel is specifically tiered above AMD in gaming and developing performance. Im personally an AMD guy, I like to the performance to price ratio, but overall you get a great product with that Intel CPU. You'll have to tell me how it runs when you buy it.
The following 1 user Likes wweee2345's post:
  • Ruskin