[Development] Dev needs to be optimised
(05-15-2021, 12:25 AM)ScriptedBrain Wrote: I'm not saying that there is a lack of shell knowledge. I'm saying that there lies a lot more behind the shell that you might not have enough knowledge of. Setting up and managing a linux server goes far beyond basic shell operations. Mistakes made in this area can cause huge implications (data leaks or failure). When you have people on the team who actually have the knowledge and experience (cause it's their daily job) you'd have to respect that, especially when it's of high importance to keep it secure.
But even with these systems in place, there was a massive data leak the other week which just proves, with the scale of the leak that the systems currently in place don't properly work the way they've been designed to. If developers are trusted with the main product of FL (The gamemode) or in some cases the website I just can't put my finger on why there isn't some sort of better system for them to test code on, even if it was just a script that detected pushes to the git and pulled them down into the test server.

While it hasn't directly been said it's obvious that some or even all of the developers are getting demotivated and tired of having to fight to just get something they've written, for free, any sort of approval to be added into test/prod. With disgruntlements in this area it leads to people being sloppy amongst other things.

The only way I can see the motivation returning is if the SA/Management and dev team sit down together and discuss what they want from each other and I personally don't think this thread is the place for that to happen due to the sensitive nature of what might be discussed. It doesn't have to be full root access to the dedibox, but I think the dev team would appreciate being heard properly
The following 3 users Like User 7141's post:
  • Conn, TASSIA, max.

Messages In This Thread
RE: [Development] Dev needs to be optimised - by User 7141 - 05-15-2021, 05:43 AM