[Solved] Screen turns black when exiting or switching to desktop from game
Hi, so i recently bought a new computer. I downloaded garry's mod and began playing, at first i didn't have any issues. Now since a couple of days ago i've had this wierd issue; When i alt-tab or alt + F4 to go to desktop or another program, my screen turns black with sounds remaining from game etc. Just completely black, i cannot find my mouse-cursor or anything. I can't ctrl+alt+delete to get task manager. The only solution is to reboot the computer.. I've tried disabling firewall, verifying game files and reinstalling garry's mod. There is no crash dump since it is not registered as a crash. I cannot tab back into game, and i cannot exit game from menu(same issue occurs).

Here's my computer specs;
GTX 1070 
i5 - 6400
Win 10
250 SSD
16gb RAM

Any help is appreciated.
Does this happen with any other games or programs? Have you recently changed gmod's settings, launch parameters or configured something related to the game? How about graphics card's settings, have you changed them?

Here's also a couple solutions that could work to go around the issue:
Update or downgrade your graphics card drivers to their previous state(the game used to work with). When trying this solution, completely get rid of all graphics card related drivers or at least try resetting their settings.

Run the game in windowed mode
Add these as launch parameters:
-sw -noborder

Run gmod in an alternate directx mode
You can do so by adding to the game's launch parameters
+mat_dxlevel 81    -    also you can try different directx modes like 80, 98 or 95
you can also try an alternate version of the command above which resets certain graphics settings to default ones related to the setting chosen: -dxlevel 81
NOTE THAT DIRECTX 8 MODE IS BROKEN NOWADAYS AND CAN CAUSE NUMEROUS ISSUES ON SOME SETUPS.
I wouldn't recommend using it
The following 3 users Like Joulle's post:
  • mintblackbeard, rand0m0mg, trxsh
(10-18-2016, 04:51 PM)Joulle Wrote: Does this happen with any other games or programs? Have you recently changed gmod's settings, launch parameters or configured something related to the game? How about graphics card's settings, have you changed them?

-snip-

No, gmod is the only program. I have only downloaded what is required for playing FLRP. It has been like this for 2 driver updates. 

Gonna try what you suggested, thank you! Smile
(10-19-2016, 01:40 PM)rand0m0mg Wrote:
(10-18-2016, 04:51 PM)Joulle Wrote: Does this happen with any other games or programs? Have you recently changed gmod's settings, launch parameters or configured something related to the game? How about graphics card's settings, have you changed them?

-snip-

No, gmod is the only program. I have only downloaded what is required for playing FLRP. It has been like this for 2 driver updates. 

you should try the game with the drivers that were present at the time the game used to work with.
(10-19-2016, 02:20 PM)Joulle Wrote:
(10-19-2016, 01:40 PM)rand0m0mg Wrote:

-snip-

you should try the game with the drivers that were present at the time the game used to work with.

Setting those launch options worked, thanks alot Smile)))))))))))))))))))))))))))
The following 1 user Likes rand0m0mg's post:
  • trxsh
joulle wonders what exactly fixed it for you
[Image: 5bc9fae33e2c45658669e69d2e4956d2.png]
Problem solved.