Public Building - What you need to know.
After seeing many people question public building and how to build something that is suitable, I thought I would write a simple guide which in turn, explains it all.

In this guide I will be explaining what I have learned about public building and how to build something that is worthy of being in the city.

What is meant by public building?
Public building is when props are placed in an area that is publicly exposed, most often in a high-traffic area. Here are two contrasting examples.

A food stand in the city would be seen by many, many users, including new ones. In order for this to be suitable, it needs to be realistic.

An example of a build that is not public building would be a rebel base at the UM.

Please note: blocking off roads is a form of public building and it is against the rules to block off any roads, in the city or not, without administration approval.

Also, please note: All buildings in the main city street and all obvious shops are reserved for passive RP. Do not base here. (Base rule 7.)

Considerations
Before you build anything, it is always best to think about how appropriate something is for the city. It all comes down to some basic principles.
  • Appearance - Does it look realistic? What are the materials like? You do not want to see holographic flying bricks flying about. Make your build look like something you'd see in real life. If you build a food stand, build wheels so people can understand how it got there. Building a house? Make it look like it is actually built from real materials, than all from plastic.
  • Size - is it too big for the specific area? Sometimes, even though it may fit roleplay reasons, builds can be just too big and take up too much space for others to build on.
  • Surroundings - Does the build suit what is around it? You don't want to be building something abandoned and smelly in the middle of a luxurious, high wealth area.
  • Position - Is the build blocking anything? Is the build harming any roleplay?
  • Neighbors - For instance, are you building at the side of the BP? You'll need not only permission from the admins, but from the owner of that building too.

Building
When you come to actually building your build on the build server, remember to take into account the considerations above.

Also, it is a good idea to build your structure in the place that you actually plan to place it. I, myself, have personally build structures in the MTL, then moved them to another place. But this causes builds to not fit into the surroundings as much as they would have if you'd of built it there from the start. It can be harder, but you get to see what your building will look like first hand in the surroundings, rather than placing it down, noticing that there are many lighting glitches, or maybe a tree in the way.

Another thing to note, it is best to stay away from futuristic, sci-fi buildings as much as possible. Futuristic builds are almost always far from realistic, unless you have a team of builders with over 80 props. Even then, rarely would you see such a futuristic building in the city. Be careful.

Finally, I would like to also recommend to look at reference images of what you are building. This should ensure that your buildings look as realistic as they can. Stock photo websites such as morgueFile offer a good list of images that you can use for reference. Google also works well, but it can be a pain having to scour through all the non-relevant posters, portraits, Etc. If you are using google, remember to be precise with your search terms.

In conclusion, remember, no matter how justified you think your build is, you must always ask an admin for public building permission for your finished build. Just ask gently using "@ - Message here." It may take some time, as the admins are often busy, just be patient.

Thanks for reading, I hope it helped.
Very helpful, great guide!
Kind Regards,
Wood.
The following 1 user Likes Wood's post:
  • JMR
Great job, should've posted it in the guides sub-forum though, either way this would've been approved anywhay.
jan u nub, you can't post there Wink
Kind Regards,
Wood.
I always thought that the "GUIDES" sub-board (inside the roleplay board), was limited mainly for roleplay guides only.

Anyhow, the admins can always move it as they see fit.