[GUIDE] Bus Driving
Despite the fact that buses require 5 roleplay points before you are able to spawn one, there are still a large amount of people with at least 5 rp points, so I decided to make a guide on how I personally think Bus Driver RP should be accomplished.

This is my first guide, a lot of the things I will be explaining will be elementary, buses are not really complicated.

However, I have seen many bus drivers, not all, but quite a few just drive around randomly with no "real" purpose. Buses have a lot of potential and it is a shame to see it not used to that potential.

Types of service.
The first thing I want to explain, is that there are two main types of bus service. When you run this roleplay, it is important that you know which type you want to run from the start.
  • Direct
  • Route

Direct buses work almost like a taxi service. The best thing to do is number every single bus stop with a note, then on that note, mention the stop number and how they can contact you. For example: "This is bus stop #4, bus tickets are $?, contact ic_name with the stop number by phoning ic_name (/pm username)"

Buses on route basically, just constantly drive around in a set route at distinct times of the day. I recommend adding a note to each stop saying, "A bus will stop here every x minutes."

Tips:
Very basic principles, yet not always roleplayed to their full extent. Little details really can improve the roleplay experience, so here are some tips on things you can do get the most of the roleplay.
  • After you have numbered all of the possible stops you would like to visit, I recommend you set up some sort of bus shelter where you keep your bus until you get a call.
  • Whether you decide to charge for this service or not, is up to you, but I recommend not charging for route-based bus services as you'll find more people actually waiting at your bus stops.
  • Always welcome people onto your bus, combined along with an explanation of the ticket prices, combined with the bus service's name and service type. (Route or direct) The use of macro binds can be very beneficial in this case.
  • Always stop at traffic lights. Not only will this make your roleplay more realistic, but this will also inspire people in your bus (who may be new to the server) stop at the lights too. The same also applies if a police car is behind you with his siren on, always pull over to make way.
  • Ask to see people's tickets, depending on your pricing structure. If your service is an all-day hop-on service, I recommend this strategy. "Tickets please!" does a lot more than inform people that they require a ticket, it also allows them to roleplay taking out their ticket. You may even find criminals trying to sneak on without a ticket, which can be very interesting for RP.
  • If you are charging for single-use tickets, the above tip works too, but it is also a good idea to roleplay *punching holes* through their ticket once they get off.
  • It never hurts to have a secuirty guard with you on the bus as much as possible if your service is not free. That is, as long as the security guard is not standing up carrying an ak-47 all day. Be picky.
  • Playing music is always a nice way to make your bus service more attractive. Just pick music that isn't too "out there."

Planning
It is always best to plan beforehand, the more organised your bus service can be, the more efficient it will become. Working with other users can help a lot too, try and get others involved to help you with the prop limits of the bus signs and shelter.

Use my planning map and mark on your bus route/bus stops, this makes it easy to keep track stop numbers or routes and will allow you to make your service professional and well organised.

Here is an example of how you could use it for a route-based system,
[Image: kcPrumW.jpg]

Notes & Warnings
  • Be creative with your bus service's name. You are roleplaying as part of a large transport network with other friends. For example, before, we did EC:T - (EvoCity Transport) and we had buses, taxis and private luxurious rides in fancy cars. However, if you are coming up with a new service on your own, be more specific when choosing a service name. You don't want to be called "EC:T - Bus Driver" when you are the only person with that tag. Instead, go with something like, "J.R - Bus Service."
  • DRIVE SLOW and use cruise control. I cannot emphasis how important this is when driving such large vehicle.
  • Let cars past before you take a turn. Lets face it, buses are a pain to turn corners in evocity, so always let other cars past before you block the entire road off as you turn a sharp corner.
  • If you are running a paid service, careful not to price too high, the price should define the quality and exclusivity of your service.
  • Never, ever, drive a bus when the server is lagging, seriously, just don't. Why not roleplay it out as if your bus has a flat tire instead?
  • Remember to change things up as much as possible. Honestly, after an hour of driving around in circles, it can get pretty boring. Instead, change your route, change the music you play and maybe even experiment with a new pricing structure.

I hope at least someone found this guide helpful. I'll echo, this is my first guide, so feedback is very much appreciated.

Hopefully, more guides to come from me in the near future,
Thanks for reading.