Fearless Forums
#1- Gay Marriage y/n? - Printable Version

+- Fearless Forums (https://fearlessrp.net)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://fearlessrp.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Forum: Discussions (https://fearlessrp.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Archive (https://fearlessrp.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=481)
+---- Thread: #1- Gay Marriage y/n? (/showthread.php?tid=28809)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

RE: #1- Gay Marriage y/n? - Trevor Jackson - 06-07-2013

(06-07-2013, 12:56 AM)VallyTeacake Wrote:
(06-06-2013, 07:59 PM)Burrito Warrior Wrote: This is a touchy subject, whilst I wouldn't mind gay marriage being allowed it's more children I'm concerned about. I wouldn't exactly feel comfortable with gay couples adopting.
Jus' saying.

There's absolutely no evidence to suggest to suggest children of gay couples turn out to be any different than children of straight couples or turn out to be worse families. In fact, recent studies show it tends to be the opposite(Source). The only real reason to feel uncomfortable with same sex parents raising children is an irrational distrust of anything new, or different, which is a terrible reason to base laws and rights on.

Kids raised by same sex parents will be encouraged to have a relationship like their parents, because parents are one of the biggest influences in a kids life. It predisposes a kid to want a same sex relationship, even if they don't have a natural tendency for that behavior. That's why I'm with Burrito on this one.

RE: #1- Gay Marriage y/n? - 5p carrier bag - 06-07-2013

(06-07-2013, 03:34 AM)bruterules Wrote:
(06-06-2013, 07:59 PM)Burrito Warrior Wrote: This is a touchy subject, whilst I wouldn't mind gay marriage being allowed it's more children I'm concerned about. I wouldn't exactly feel comfortable with gay couples adopting.
Jus' saying.

There's absolutely no evidence to suggest to suggest children of gay couples turn out to be any different than children of straight couples or turn out to be worse families. In fact, recent studies show it tends to be the opposite(Source). The only real reason to feel uncomfortable with same sex parents raising children is an irrational distrust of anything new, or different, which is a terrible reason to base laws and rights on.

Kids raised by same sex parents will be encouraged to have a relationship like their parents, because parents are one of the biggest influences in a kids life. It predisposes a kid to want a same sex relationship, even if they don't have a natural tendency for that behavior. That's why I'm with Burrito on this one.
The children will already be gay, the only influence having same sex parents will have on this is that they will be less likely to live a life of denial, or refuse to come to accept it. None of the children will be magically turned gay by having gay parents. And even if they were magically somewhat more likely to be gay, so what? You wouldn't even think for a moment about parents influencing their childrens religion, political views, personality, or many other defining features.

RE: #1- Gay Marriage y/n? - Burrito Warrior - 06-07-2013

(06-07-2013, 04:01 AM)VallyTeacake Wrote:
(06-07-2013, 03:34 AM)bruterules Wrote:
Jus' saying.

The children will already be gay, the only influence having same sex parents will have on this is that they will be less likely to live a life of denial, or refuse to come to accept it. None of the children will be magically turned gay by having gay parents. And even if they were magically somewhat more likely to be gay, so what? You wouldn't even think for a moment about parents influencing their childrens religion, political views, personality, or many other defining features.

How do you know that they will already be gay? It's a choice.

(06-07-2013, 02:54 PM)Burrito Warrior Wrote: It's a choice.

No.

RE: #1- Gay Marriage y/n? - D0ctor - 06-07-2013

Personally I am against it. i have no wish to argue this fact, I simply find it wrong. (I am not promoting homophobia as that is wrong and.. well just wrong)

(06-07-2013, 03:28 PM)VallyTeacake Wrote:

No.

That's not a valid response. What evidence do you have that it is anything other than a choice?

(06-07-2013, 05:56 PM)Burrito Warrior Wrote:

No.

That's not a valid response. What evidence do you have that it is anything other than a choice?

Ignoring the countless studies showing it's not a choice, when have you ever met a person who woke up one day and decided "being straight is boring, I think I'll be gay!". I highly doubt you ever chose being attracted to women(or men) at some point in your life.

RE: #1- Gay Marriage y/n? - Eisenhorn - 06-07-2013

I think you're overestimating how nice some people can be which is commendable. But we cannot condemn a group of people based on the actions of a minority, you can point to countless examples in history.

Is it any less likely that somewhere a same sex couple will rigidly enforce their idea of a normal relationship on their child? No, because there have been plenty of heterosexual parents bully children into denial about homosexuality and anything including religion and political belief. Last I checked homosexuals are still human beings with human feelings, and on the balance of probability someone somewhere will be a douche, regardless of sex, orientation, religion etc, people can be just shit. Should we refuse a group this right? Well unless you're gonna deny heterosexual couples on the basis if they adopt they might bully a homosexual kid into denial, then no. Marriage in no way provides a mechanism that doesn't already exist for any kind of enforced ideal to be put forward, I think if a couple were going to force homosexuality on a kid, it wouldn't matter one fething bit if they were married or not, so it shouldn't effect any belief on gay marriage.

(06-07-2013, 08:19 PM)VallyTeacake Wrote:

No.

Ignoring the countless studies showing it's not a choice, when have you ever met a person who woke up one day and decided "being straight is boring, I think I'll be gay!". I highly doubt you ever chose being attracted to women(or men) at some point in your life.

Don't give me that. How do you explain Bisexuals? Basically you're saying gay people are born with some kind of mutation? Is that it? Maybe some mutation of a gene deep down in the brain. I somehow find that highly unlikely, if it is not a choice then what is it?

RE: #1- Gay Marriage y/n? - 5p carrier bag - 06-08-2013

(06-07-2013, 11:24 PM)Burrito Warrior Wrote:
(06-07-2013, 08:19 PM)VallyTeacake Wrote:

No.

Don't give me that. How do you explain Bisexuals? Basically you're saying gay people are born with some kind of mutation? Is that it? Maybe some mutation of a gene deep down in the brain. I somehow find that highly unlikely, if it is not a choice then what is it?

Saying bisexuality proves being gay is a choice is like saying that hair colour is a choice because there's more than two types of hair colour out there.
Answer this question:when did you(assuming you are a straight male) choose to be sexually and/or romantically attracted to women? Not when did you start finding them attractive. When did you specifically decide "do I want to find men or women attractive". Can you change that decision tomorrow, and find people of the same gender attractive, and no longer find people of the opposite sex attractive?

What causes someone to be gay is still a great scientific question, while the gay gene is one theory, there are many other theories(most of which rooted in biological causes), one of the more accepted theories right now being down to hormonal balance in the womb, and how the mothers immune system reacts to a fetus. However, it's pretty much an undeniable scientific fact that being gay is not a choice.