United States of America - Third World Country
(03-13-2022, 04:18 AM)konsta Wrote:
(03-12-2022, 09:24 AM)Marty Wrote:
(03-12-2022, 06:25 AM)MasterNoda Wrote: There is a lot to improve here for sure, and our government system is woefully inefficient and not nearly progressive enough. Still, it is no where near what you see in actual developing countries, the real third world countries.

Every country has its cons. The British seem keen on keeping a bunch of geezers in office that weren't even elected, on top of Brexit being an absolute disaster from all angles, with politics slipping further more regressive every day. Germany tries to paint itself as kings of being green, while shutting down all nuclear power plants and trying their best to keep getting Putin's juicy oil. France.

Not saying America is better. Generally I would prefer to live in Germany or Britain, at least for a time. I'd like to get a comparison myself of how living in places other than America would generally be. Do keep in mind, America is like 50 different countries at times. State laws vary so much, that something legal in one state could be a federal crime in the neighboring state. Beauty is, you can choose to live wherever you please. If I wanted to live in a regressive shithole like Alabama, I could. If I wanted to live a more leftist lifestyle, states like Washington are very liberal.

If your English, imagine someone thinking Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland are filled with identical people and identical lifestyles. America is a big country, so large that the world generally only sees the extremes.

I agree, abolish the house of lords. Brexit was a farce.

But there is no denying your political system breeds poverty and squalor

The American dream is extreme capitalism. Literally everything is about making profit. Schools, hospitals, insurance, politics. 

If you can pay, you'll be fine. If you can't then you'll likely die.
You forgot about the working culture and laws. You don't get paid for your break, so a 30 minutes break means half of what you could have made in that hour if you didn't take it. Not to mention there are some states that are "right to work state" which basically mean that an employer can fire you whenever he wants to, you're not protected at all. I was shocked when I found out I don't get paid for my 30 minutes break and the "right to work state" law. If you're a freelancer then it's a time bomb for when you get fired, freelancers have no protection whatsoever and they can be the best at their job but if the company is not reaching a certain quota and they see that by not paying you anymore and have that work be put into the already existing employees which just adds more work for them then nothing stops them from that.

You are thinking of At-Will Employment. Right-to-work laws are laws that prevent unions from requiring that you join the union to be hired at a company, usually because of an agreement between the company and union that states all new employees must join the union or be fired / not hired.

At-will protection is supposed to be that employees also have no obligation to continue working as well, making sure employment requires agreement and that contacts cannot bind you to perform work. 

I'm all for workers right, and think they need to be much better than now, but I agree that At-will employment is the route to go, but severances could be implemented in some way. Currently you just get unemployment payments as long as you are going and looking for a job, but that system is botched in its own because the struggles of working with an inefficient government.

How is this sort of thing handled elsewhere? What labor protection laws elsewhere prevent employers from just firing you because they want to save money or simply don't like your work anymore? I'm curious on what other countries find to be the balance between employees needing stability and employers rights to fire because of costs, poor performance, etc.
[Image: Admin_Sig.png]