[Development] Dev needs to be optimised
I'm going to join in for a bit as from a few peoples responses it seems like it's a fight between two extremes. No, not everyone who is a developer should get full access and I don't get who is even arguing for that. At the same time, it shouldn't be a single person either. I personally don't care about getting shell access or not but I don't see why it's such a big issue to just give it to one more person who has proven capable with it (Conn). I more care about not being able to upload/update addons without having to make a "ticket" because the system which I said is a terrible idea before it was even made is still around and broke again. I care that the repo is now what, 17gb because someone had the bright idea to plop all addons and content into the same repo as the gamemode itself (nevermind that it makes searching for things using visual studio such a pain even with excluding certain files).

My issue with this entire thing has been the back and forth fight which goes like this:
1) Development gets restricted out of nowhere, with no discussion or even communication (For some things, we only found out as when we tried it we were denied access. This is what happened with our gameserver FTP access which we used to upload addons, my login was just removed one day)
2) Developers complain
3) Management ignores developers complaining in the hope we'll give up
4) Developers create dev strike and threaten to resign
5) Management panics and has an emergency meeting
6) Management gives Conn full powers to fix it all
7) Conn fixes it all for management
8) Management says they're sorry for the poor communication and they'll work on it etc...
9) Conns power gets taken once it is all calm again like a month later

Like I half feel bad for those in the community who think we're actually doing stuff behind the scenes, it's a battle of different discord group chats planning different things on how to get rid of the other side. That is what it has come to and it's a bit upsetting that this situation will likely only end with one side leaving FL as it's that big of a mess. Development is at the lowest point it has been since I joined the team in 2018. There's no big active projects ongoing that have enough motivation to actually make it to the end, making things is such a pain as 90% of it is tagging management in discord enough to get approval for it then tagging the entire team another few times to get 5 responses by the team (half of which just saying "good idea!") to be able to actually add it. I got a lot of flak for my kevlar changed by even people on the team even though I had a thread up on it for a month and the only feedback the team gave me was a few likes on the post I made describing it.

I've tried my best already at getting stuff changed, I've tried to organise stuff but in the end nothing gets done so I gave up. It doesn't get anywhere as the only active person on the management team is Divey (I have to give a lot of credit to Divey here, he is the only one who actively gives feedback and talks to us developers and tries even though he isn't a developer himself). Organising a meeting to discuss a potential new gamemode I wanted to start was one of the most difficult things to do, with it being postponed four times and when it actually happened I couldn't be around until the very end even though I'm the one starting the project and pretty much discarded every idea they had discussed for two hours within a minute of me joining as only I had a lot of experience with it. I genuinely don't have a clue how stuff is going to work out when I have time to actively develop again.

/rant
Pollux
Fearless Management
bork
Heart 
WE LOVE OUR DEVS!
Thank you for all your hard work keeping us entertained. Hopefully motivation will return to you all.
Respectfully,

Hooter
The following 1 user Likes Hooter's post:
  • max.
So they nerfed devs back to contributor?
epic lol

My tip of the day: You can have internal changes all you want. At the end of the day it comes down to whether you can deliver to the community or not. And taking a look at the changelog, you currently cannot. You might as well just break up with unsustainable systems if they dont bring out the desired results, regardless of who is to blame in charge and has access to whatnot. Don't force something just to have it that way.
The following 5 users Like Arkten's post:
  • Pollux, max., TASSIA, Conn, Alphaverse
plz change guns + kevlar. lockdown should have been the best FL had been in all its lifetime...
(05-16-2021, 09:43 PM)Arkten Wrote: So they nerfed devs back to contributor?
epic lol

My tip of the day: You can have internal changes all you want. At the end of the day it comes down to whether you can deliver to the community or not. And taking a look at the changelog, you currently cannot. You might as well just break up with unsustainable systems if they dont bring out the desired results, regardless of who is to blame in charge and has access to whatnot. Don't force something just to have it that way.

It was worse than contributor, considering a contributor only needed one dev to get a change onto the server while this system was two to begin with. It's now one other dev after we had to fight for it, still far from perfect.
Pollux
Fearless Management
bork
ii love the devlopers