Content size
It's a question of long term enjoyment with quality content at the cost of slightly longer initial loading times or a barebones server with a slightly better loading time.

The best option for the server is clear. There is a distinct direction FL is heading in where content size is considered but not allowed to compromise the quality.
Also intial download times for gmod servers are an age already regardless of content. People are used to waiting.

You possible pull factor is much stronger then the potential push.
Regards,
Finn Conlon 

+Rep me Here
(01-26-2020, 10:03 PM)Pollux Wrote: If someone really doesn't want to get the content they won't be able to enjoy 90% of gmod servers.

It is a small drop in the bucket to fix these 2 problems with errors to fix the whole problem all together, suddenly we are one of the 10%. 

(01-26-2020, 10:03 PM)MrFinnConlon Wrote: It's a question of long term enjoyment with quality content at the cost of slightly longer initial loading times <--- And performance or a barebones server with a slightly better loading time.

Right now it is about reducing obviously visible errors for new players getting introduced to the server for the first time. 
The problem is apparent; There are obvious errors on the roadside and not even cash money can be viewed by players that do not have the required content. That can be fixed!   

The solution to the mentioned problem is not to disable CSS props, but to replace the models with other ones. 

(01-26-2020, 10:03 PM)MrFinnConlon Wrote: The best option for the server is clear. There is a distinct direction FL is heading in where content size is considered but not allowed to compromise the quality.

Also intial download times for gmod servers are an age already regardless of content. People are used to waiting.

There is a common misconception that quality stems from content; quality stems from an active playerbase, good resonated updates and replayability. 
An engaging update does not require content (i.e.  daily goals). The point is not to strip the server of it's content, it is to actively take steps to reduce it!

"Also intial download times for gmod servers are an age already regardless of content. People are used to waiting."

No, as a matter of fact; download times for gmod servers are almost solely dependent on content. Just because people are used to waiting does not mean they want to.
[Image: h2.png]
Visit my profile here.
(01-28-2020, 06:42 PM)Midget Wrote:
(01-26-2020, 10:03 PM)Pollux Wrote: If someone really doesn't want to get the content they won't be able to enjoy 90% of gmod servers.

It is a small drop in the bucket to fix these 2 problems with errors to fix the whole problem all together, suddenly we are one of the 10%. 

How? We literally cannot "fix" it. To my knowledge there are no RP maps which suit FL and don't require some combination of CSS, HL2 EP1 and HL2 EP2. We can't edit the maps to remove those models, so they're going to be required for map content most of the time (there used to be workshop packs for the HL models required in evocity, I think it was removed as I can't find it). This also brings us to our second issue, we are not allowed to host the models on the workshop or well anywhere as it's illegal. Anything on the workshop eventually gets taken down, if we host it ourselves we're opening up to a nice DMCA or similar. There are websites which exist to download game content from and i'm sure many of you know of them, it is against ToS to link them on FL services though for a very good reason.

This is an issue pretty much all Garry's Mod servers share and I wouldn't even call it an issue. To play Garry's Mod the content of CSS is required. You can somewhat get away without having the HL Episodes but you will still have errors on V5P and a few other RP maps. The HL episodes are free for a few months, so people can download them and mount it onto gmod.

I don't see anything happening to help those who are missing game content because we quite simply can't. The focus on any content related updates will likely be reducing size by removing things which are no longer needed or are not being used at all. If you are missing game content and cannot buy CSS, a google search will help you find content needed but this isn't endorsed by FL at all nor is it recommended as issues do occur such as crotch guns.
Pollux
Fearless Management
bork
(01-29-2020, 05:29 AM)Pollux Wrote:

How? We literally cannot "fix" it. To my knowledge there are no RP maps which suit FL and don't require some combination of CSS, HL2 EP1 and HL2 EP2. We can't edit the maps to remove those models, so they're going to be required for map content most of the time (there used to be workshop packs for the HL models required in evocity, I think it was removed as I can't find it). This also brings us to our second issue, we are not allowed to host the models on the workshop or well anywhere as it's illegal. Anything on the workshop eventually gets taken down, if we host it ourselves we're opening up to a nice DMCA or similar. There are websites which exist to download game content from and i'm sure many of you know of them, it is against ToS to link them on FL services though for a very good reason.

This is an issue pretty much all Garry's Mod servers share and I wouldn't even call it an issue. To play Garry's Mod the content of CSS is required. You can somewhat get away without having the HL Episodes but you will still have errors on V5P and a few other RP maps. The HL episodes are free for a few months, so people can download them and mount it onto gmod.

I don't see anything happening to help those who are missing game content because we quite simply can't. The focus on any content related updates will likely be reducing size by removing things which are no longer needed or are not being used at all. If you are missing game content and cannot buy CSS, a google search will help you find content needed but this isn't endorsed by FL at all nor is it recommended as issues do occur such as crotch guns.

Pollux, I am talking about the CSS props that are used for certain models. These models can be replaced with other ones that prevent the issue altogether while still keeping CSS props enabled.

There are many models that can replace the currently used models in the gamemode(from CSS) to fix the problem of missing content. 

https://garrysmods.org/download/16365/realistic-money-reskin

I also presume there are an abundance of rocks on the same site that can fix the ERRORS on the roadside from the mining update; as these are also from CSS. 

Notice how the size of the models for the money are 600 kb for 12 different ones, go into the models and pick out most default one, probably just around 50 kb.
Visit my profile here.
(01-29-2020, 08:55 AM)Midget Wrote:

Pollux, I am talking about the CSS props that are used for certain models. These models can be replaced with other ones that prevent the issue altogether while still keeping CSS props enabled.

There are many models that can replace the currently used models in the gamemode(from CSS) to fix the problem of missing content. 

I also presume there are an abundance of rocks on the same site that can fix the ERRORS on the roadside from the mining update; as these are also from CSS. 

Notice how the size of the models for the money are 600 kb for 12 different ones, go into the models and pick out most default one, probably just around 50 kb.

There is no point removing CSS models when CSS is required anyway
(01-29-2020, 03:33 PM)Tails59 Wrote:
(01-29-2020, 08:55 AM)Midget Wrote:

There is no point removing CSS models when CSS is required anyway

There is no point in having 2 so important props be only visible with CSS, when it can easily be fixed and the problem solved.
Visit my profile here.
(01-29-2020, 09:27 PM)Midget Wrote: -load of waffle-

It's not solving any problem because one doesn't exist - if people don't have CSS content then they're gonna struggle to enjoy garry's mod. Changing 2 models won't make it any more enjoyable
The following 1 user Likes Tails59's post:
  • Fudge
(01-29-2020, 10:43 PM)Tails59 Wrote:
(01-29-2020, 09:27 PM)Midget Wrote: -load of waffle-

It's not solving any problem because one doesn't exist - if people don't have CSS content then they're gonna struggle to enjoy garry's mod. Changing 2 models won't make it any more enjoyable

Of course it will, these are the two consistent errors in the gamemode besides player spawned props that show up if you do not have CSS.
Replacing those 2 models solves the problem, a problem that, just to be clear; exists.
Visit my profile here.
[Image: RLZnR1j.png]

[Image: jslt3Zd.png]
[Image: QcNJEEv.png]
Visit my profile here.
(01-30-2020, 10:55 AM)Midget Wrote: [Image: RLZnR1j.png]

[Image: jslt3Zd.png]
[Image: QcNJEEv.png]

You're one of the only people i've seen experience this issue. If you don't have the content, it's on you. They're not going to go through hassle to change every model that requires CSS for the people that don't download it. It'll cause far more issues.