JackZ killed the thread
Right, so.
It is clear in my opinion that the teacher role needs serious rework.
First and foremost, teachers communicate and play with the community the most out of all team members, and as such occupies an important role. The presence of a teacher is often a game-changer in terms of roleplay quality and interest, more so if the aforementioned teacher is good at his job. Therefore, teacher applications should be made public, even if the decision is made by staff. The community should have some say over the selection of teachers, even if in an advisory capacity only.

Secondly, considering the unique place of teachers within the team; the guidance and support of a liaison or two, preferably ex-teacher(s) themselves is critical. I do not mean to criticize the current liaison in any way, however, if the existence of the teacher role is up to debate itself, it is clear that either the teacher team as a whole or the liaison is doing something wrong. The current liaison system could be re-arranged to have lower-ranking staff members be chosen as liaisons as they would have more time to spend on the development and running of the teacher team.

Lastly, I believe teachers should be made full members of the staff team BUT without the possibility of further promotion to moderator or more to discourage people from applying just to rise up in the ranks. So in short, the staff team's current dual structure of development&moderation could be re-arranged to become development, moderation and server assistants, much like how contributors cannot be moderators or admins.

This is just my tuppence on the topic
[Image: 7EmE7CZ.png]
Have I helped you or am I friendly?
+rep
The following 1 user Likes Archer's post:
  • Lewwings
I agree with everything JackZ stated, though I would like to make some additional points and feel I have an obligation to reply to this nonetheless.

No matter what alterations are made to the teacher team, there will always be strong cases on both sides for whether or not the rank is useful or necessary. Such has been the case ever since its conception, and will continue to be so throughout all the time it remains.

True, ordinary players with sufficient hours of experience on the server can answer questions as coherently and efficiently as those in the teacher role, but not all of them do. For players who have shown they actively wish to engage in helping others with any queries, and promoting roleplay by creating mini-events and encouraging others to join, the teacher role gives them a platform to do this more effectively with additional powers, such as the help command, ability to raise their own prop limits and moderation access in the help and support sections of the forums. Current teachers like Jessixa, for example, performed amazing roleplays that included the whole server prior to her applying for the role, but as she has stated in this thread, being a teacher has encouraged her more to answer questions and participate in other people's roleplays to help them out and improve their own experience on the server. Additionally, it is also a way of showing recognition for those who do volunteer their time to do this, and have essentially formally signed up to say "I am always willing to help when required, and act as a role model for newer players".

The reason the role is not forced on every player who fits this criteria, however, is because it does uphold additional responsibilities. As an example, if as a player somebody asks if pulling a knife out when a cop is switching from a taser to cuffs is against the rules and you say no, there is no consequence to this. However as a teacher, you are expected to be able to demonstrate high knowledge of the rules, therefore your word is held up to a higher standard. If the player then said "but teacher <x> said I could", this could be held against the teacher, whereas for a normal player a scenario like this could easily be brushed off.

I have always made it very clear that I am open to suggestions for any improvements to the team. As the current team know, there have already been many modifications over the past few months, although a lot of these are not publicly visible.

What I would like to ask is what exactly are the negatives of the teacher role being in place? And then I propose, if teacher should be removed on the basis of what you perceive its purpose to be, what is the point of keeping the veteran role?
 Zecon
not an Administrator
The following 5 users Like Zecon's post:
  • Jonas, Ivan Headshotski, JackZ, Archer, RoCKy
(12-04-2019, 02:43 PM)Zecon Wrote: What I would like to ask is what exactly are the negatives of the teacher role being in place? And then I propose, if teacher should be removed on the basis of what you perceive its purpose to be, what is the point of keeping the veteran role?

not to be a large cock here, but comparing teachers and veterans is a whole different story and they really do not correlate at all. the veteran rank shows that what they done is good and they're being commended for that, teachers are not that
The following 2 users Like JONATHANPOO's post:
  • Yonno, Zecon
(12-04-2019, 02:43 PM)Zecon Wrote: What I would like to ask is what exactly are the negatives of the teacher role being in place? And then I propose, if teacher should be removed on the basis of what you perceive its purpose to be, what is the point of keeping the veteran role?

I apologize for going off-topic here, but comparing the teacher role to the veteran role is rather silly.
One is an active role for a player with certain duties, the other is more of a "thank you" to ex-staff members.
Regards,

[Image: mEVbpdN.png]
Thanks to Envy for the signature.
The following 1 user Likes Yonno's post:
  • Zecon
(12-04-2019, 03:14 PM)Yonno Wrote:
(12-04-2019, 02:43 PM)Zecon Wrote: -snip-

I apologize for going off-topic here, but comparing the teacher role to the veteran role is rather silly.
One is an active role for a player with certain duties, the other is more of a "thank you" to ex-staff members.

True. The purpose wasn't to compare the meaning of both ranks directly, but rather draw the correlation between the fact that if there's no negatives to a role, I don't see the point in removing it. I phrased that comment poorly which does make it seem that way, so I apologise.
 Zecon
not an Administrator
The following 2 users Like Zecon's post:
  • Yonno, Lewwings
I think the teacher role is good for encouraging other people to roleplay. Let's be real, most people won't be RPing unless there is a staff member or teacher online. This is because people want to be rewarded with a roleplay point. Having active teachers online will definitely increase the odds of seeing PassiveRPs. Teachers are also there so newer players can see a friendly face and ask them questions about the gamemode or the rules. They are able to raise their proplimit (forgive me if I am wrong) so that they can create events and bring the players together.

I honestly don't understand why you would want to remove this. I support Grape's idea to merge them into a "helper" rank because it would make the role more helpful being able to deal with rulebreakers aswell, but removing teachers is a bad idea. I remember how hyped up everyone was when the teacher rank was introduced again after being removed.
is it just me thats impressed by how many and how much these people care about fl
like some of these posts are longer than any assignments ive ever written
theyre really well written too
sorry to get off-topic i just love you guys so much, my gamer family <3

if there's any ladies in this thread hmu im horny
The following 1 user Likes S!RNARC's post:
  • RaZZ
I see no issue in having it, it causes no harm.
[Image: brHdXi6.png]