Poll: Should developers receive some sort of payment?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
51.92%
27 51.92%
No
23.08%
12 23.08%
Yes ( but only ingame stuff )
25.00%
13 25.00%
Total 52 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Developers getting payed
(11-28-2019, 02:44 PM)Fultz Wrote:
(11-28-2019, 11:41 AM)Pollux Wrote:
(11-28-2019, 09:44 AM)Fultz Wrote: I would rather pay for scripts that are already completed than pay development to make the scripts

But we have to heavily modify those scripts anyway, making buying them sorta useless (apart from the models, they're good).

Heavily modify? I understand you want to oversell yourself because of this discussion about potentially your payment, but come on.

Depending on the script i'm being serious. Generic stuff like VCmod and other things are generally drag and drop with us just having to edit a config file to get it to work correctly. Scripts that are more specific features though are all made for DarkRP and our code base is very different from that. If a script is made for darkRP it isn't about removing the bits that need it then editing it, it's more about looking through the code and seeing what we can actually use and then starting from there. The models can all easily be reused, however apart from that it's hard at times. The team also usually wants changes to make the script fit in better, and to make some of those changes it can involve editing a lot more than we usually would or even starting again with with just a few elements from the brought script being used. Obviously there are more generic ones which this doesn't apply too like VCmod, but for all the content ones which is what people are requesting we do need to do quite a bit of work. Another issue is that some scripts come with DRM, meaning we can't use them at all as we can't touch the code to make it work correctly, even if it needs just minor adjustment.

I can't even give any examples as leaking, but projects using pre-made scripts have been dropped due to the effort involved at times or they have massive delays due to us having to wait for the script creator to change something in the case of DRM (VCmod is a good example for this, it has broke a few times and we've been helpless). There are things which are too complex and worth buying which is why we brought stuff like VCmod, but generally i'd rather just make things in house.

I'm not saying scripts always increase the time it takes to add stuff, i'm more saying the time it saves is really not worth the cost of buying it. If we do buy scripts it's pretty much rolling a dice and hoping it's coded in a way we can use it. If it's not we just wasted however much it costs, if it is then great it will likely save a bit of time. There aren't any content scripts (people were suggesting stuff like a woodcutting one and bank heists on a different thread) which are even almost as simple as drag and drop though, which is what I think many people don't realise.
Pollux
Fearless Management
bork
In theory how hard would it be to make a script like the bank heist from scratch? Could you not use the code for checking what area a player is in, and use it on the bank? Then have a custom menu open up if you are inside the bank area?

I don't know how much experience anyone in the development team has, but Conn and you seem proficient enough to do something like that judging from the mining update.

It must be noted that I am only using the bank heist as an example, I don't think it is a particularly good idea.
[Image: h2.png]
Visit my profile here.
(12-01-2019, 12:01 AM)Midget Wrote: In theory how hard would it be to make a script like the bank heist from scratch? Could you not use the code for checking what area a player is in, and use it on the bank? Then have a custom menu open up if you are inside the bank area?

I don't know how much experience anyone in the development team has, but Conn and you seem proficient enough to do something like that judging from the mining update.

It must be noted that I am only using the bank heist as an example, I don't think it is a particularly good idea.

Everyone on the development team has enough experience to make something like that. The reason updates take a while isn't due to actually coding the updates themselves. I'd say a good 80% of time spent is testing, waiting for your game to load, getting feedback and just other generic stuff which isn't directly related. We're working on a lot of things behind the scene to cut this time down but right now it's still quite a large portion. Motivation also plays a big factor, as it pretty much determines how long you're willing the wait before just doing something else.

We 100% do not have a lack of skill on the team, it's just other issues which are slowly being resolved.
Pollux
Fearless Management
bork
I do not think that developers should get paid. How do we draw the line? What makes developers eligible to recieve a reward, but yet admins and other parts of the staff not to? What is really needed is to show members of the staff, that they are being cared about, and their contributions are being noted. Every staff member is here of their free will and is all contributing with some of their sparetime doing tasks, that are necessary for the community to run. At least from my point of view, there is no different to whether a member is contributing by developing or adminstrating - it's all importan for the server to run.

And before you suggest that you need some kind of skills to be a developer, I can tell you, that this is necessary to adminstrate as well. Where you as a developer need some kind of technical skills, you will as an adminstrator need some human capacity skills and a great understanding of the rules and how to use them in practice. This is from my experience just as hard to find as a good developer.
(12-01-2019, 01:42 PM)Eeee394 Wrote: I do not think that developers should get paid. How do we draw the line? What makes developers eligible to recieve a reward, but yet admins and other parts of the staff not to? What is really needed is to show members of the staff, that they are being cared about, and their contributions are being noted. Every staff member is here of their free will and is all contributing with some of their sparetime doing tasks, that are necessary for the community to run. At least from my point of view, there is no different to whether a member is contributing by developing or adminstrating - it's all importan for the server to run.

And before you suggest that you need some kind of skills to be a developer, I can tell you, that this is necessary to adminstrate as well. Where you as a developer need some kind of technical skills, you will as an adminstrator need some human capacity skills and a great understanding of the rules and how to use them in practice. This is from my experience just as hard to find as a good developer.

The reason people are suggesting developers to be paid is because it pretty much a standard. I don't think anyone here is saying that admins aren't as important or anything but more it's down to supply and demand here. There are a lot more people who want to be admin than developer on FL, due to that it's a lot harder to attract new developers than it is new staff members. A lot of people want to be admin and are perfectly fine with them not getting more than ingame benefits. The issue with developers is not many people are going to do it actively without more in terms of rewards, not because they're greedy or anything but because developers getting paid for their is a standard thing due to the amount of work involved in updates versus administrating the servers.

Yeah they're both just as important for the server to run, but it's also a lot harder to get developers than administrators which is why people are suggesting further rewards to attract new developers and also give motivation to current developers.
Pollux
Fearless Management
bork
I don't think I could trust some of these developers with money, they are all weebs. They might buy a life-sized anime sex doll or something...
Regards,
Panda
NOT AN Administrator
The following 5 users Like Panda's post:
  • Haarek, Awestruck, Alfred, Pollux, Wolven
(12-01-2019, 10:34 PM)Panda Wrote: I don't think I could trust some of these developers with money, they are all weebs. They might buy a life-sized anime sex doll or something...

Yeah I don't think we should pay Conn either.
Pollux
Fearless Management
bork
(12-01-2019, 10:34 PM)Panda Wrote: I don't think I could trust some of these developers with money, they are all weebs. They might buy a life-sized anime sex doll or something...

(12-01-2019, 10:39 PM)Pollux Wrote:

hang on

EDIT:
I am not a weeb.
Regards,
Connnnnnnn

Consider giving me a rep point here.

The following 2 users Like Conn's post:
  • Lewwings, Pollux
(12-02-2019, 05:24 PM)Conn Wrote:

(12-01-2019, 10:39 PM)Pollux Wrote:

hang on

EDIT:
I am not a weeb.

That is exactly what a super closet megaweeb would say!
Pollux
Fearless Management
bork
I'm up for the idea, but I think it would be hard to determine what amount should be paid.
For a new developer a difficult modification consumes a lot of time, while for an experienced developer it'll take a short time since it's easy for him.

Good idea, but it'll needs to be researched if it'll will work.
[Image: get.php?s=STEAM_0:1:15472195&b=9]
Make your own dynamic signature by clicking here.