Poll: Should developers receive some sort of payment?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
51.92%
27 51.92%
No
23.08%
12 23.08%
Yes ( but only ingame stuff )
25.00%
13 25.00%
Total 52 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Developers getting payed
(12-14-2019, 09:30 AM)SoulRipper Wrote: I'm up for the idea, but I think it would be hard to determine what amount should be paid.
For a new developer a difficult modification consumes a lot of time, while for an experienced developer it'll take a short time since it's easy for him.

Good idea, but it'll needs to be researched if it'll will work.

I'm really glad to see you actually taking part in the discussion and sharing your opinion. I think it would have to do with how important such project would be and not so with how much time they consume making it. Maybe people shouldn't advance that easily from contributor to dev so there is no big skill difference? I don't know just some idea off the top of my head.
Feel like I should provide some input here

I'm personally not a fan of developers being paid not for the reasons that others have provided though.
I feel like if developers got paid for their work on a commission basis, it would create bias and unfairness within the team as others might get paid more for less work because they took longer or such. There is the obvious to turn it into an actual job with a salary which would then restrict development and force projects to be out at a certain time, which no developer wants.

I always saw Fearless as an opportunity, somewhere where I could expand my skills and that in itself was my reward for making code for the server.

I personally think it's an unfair assumption to compare both development work and administrator work and to say that they both deserve something or neither get anything. I guess it is bias for me to say but it's definitely easier to administrate than develop and requires little to no prior skill with administrator work in the past. Sure it's great if you know how to properly administrate, but all the developers and contributors I've come across in my time have all had previous experience and never had to be taught anything which makes me think they kinda deserve money more than voluntary administration work. Don't get me wrong, myself and others have definitely wanted to develop voluntarily but if anyone deserves money out of this, it is definitely developers. An admin decides how long he wants to administrate for in a day, a developer has no clue how long a project will take.

And to those who think that some development is just modifying scripts or taking things from the steam workshop then yeah that is necessary sometimes and definitely shouldn't be rewarded and instead the real creators should be rewarded. I'm not gonna lie to you and say it's hard work to do that kind of thing, but there are definitely things like the delivery system and other plugins/scripts coded from scratch which I've seen the code for and can definitively say that they deserve some kind of reward if wanted.

As a final thought, I personally also don't think this sort of thing should be up for community discussion as it is up to the development team whether or not they want to be rewarded for their work.

Just my two cents Relief
[Image: unknown.png]
The following 4 users Like Broccoli's post:
  • Yonno, Joe Joe, TASSIA, Oliver
(12-14-2019, 09:30 AM)SoulRipper Wrote: I'm up for the idea, but I think it would be hard to determine what amount should be paid.
For a new developer a difficult modification consumes a lot of time, while for an experienced developer it'll take a short time since it's easy for him.

Good idea, but it'll needs to be researched if it'll will work.

Good to hear you're up for the idea; @SA's is now up to you to come to an agreement with development and Soul on potential ways of pushing this forward.
yes. i think developers should be pay ed.
People getting paid doesn't raise their coding capability
[Image: h2.png]
Visit my profile here.
(12-16-2019, 12:01 AM)Midget Wrote: People getting paid doesn't raise their coding capability

No, but it would likely raise output for some.
Pollux
Fearless Management
bork
(12-16-2019, 12:01 AM)Midget Wrote: People getting paid doesn't raise their coding capability

Raises reason to want to develop.
(12-16-2019, 05:50 PM)GHOSTK1LL3R Wrote:

I assume our current (and most past) developers did not have money as motivation for their effort? 

(12-16-2019, 11:22 AM)Pollux Wrote:

Doesn't output naturally occur from experience?
Visit my profile here.
(12-18-2019, 02:47 PM)Midget Wrote:
(12-16-2019, 05:50 PM)GHOSTK1LL3R Wrote:

I assume our current (and most past) developers did not have money as motivation for their effort? 

(12-16-2019, 11:22 AM)Pollux Wrote:

Doesn't output naturally occur from experience?

Just a question- what motivation should devs have if not some form of IG/OOC payment. Many players struggle to appreciate anything that anyone does, there have been a few cases of forms of unconstructive criticism, or abuse, in the past, aswell. Experience doesn’t increase output, motivation does, and there’s only so much that can be expected when there’s minimal physical compensation for the work we do. That being said, it really doesn’t need to be much. Actual money would be awesome, but only as a reward or donation after the fact, however I’d imagine that there could be some issues surrounding legality and whatnot, so even something in game would be great for recognition. 

I support this, no matter whether it’s in game or irl, I don’t think some small reward is too big an ask, considering the amount of time that everyone puts in to development.
Regards,
Connnnnnnn

Consider giving me a rep point here.

(12-18-2019, 03:06 PM)Conn Wrote: Just a question- what motivation should devs have if not some form of IG/OOC payment. Many players struggle to appreciate anything that anyone does, there have been a few cases of forms of unconstructive criticism, or abuse, in the past, aswell. Experience doesn’t increase output, motivation does, and there’s only so much that can be expected when there’s minimal physical compensation for the work we do. That being said, it really doesn’t need to be much. Actual money would be awesome, but only as a reward or donation after the fact, however I’d imagine that there could be some issues surrounding legality and whatnot, so even something in game would be great for recognition. 

I support this, no matter whether it’s in game or irl, I don’t think some small reward is too big an ask, considering the amount of time that everyone puts in to development.

I don't think a reward should be a decisive factor for how much a developer generates output. You are given the trust and loyalty of well over a hundred people. If you think making content for FL is hard and you should be paid or rewarded for your effort you are looking at the developer position in a flawed light. 

It has always been voluntarily and done by people with the experience and interest. Your respect and position as a developer is directly correlated with the work you put into the server voluntarily. It is here you find your reward in the form of recognition and respect.
Visit my profile here.