My ideas for the gamemode
As written in the news section there will be a voice meeting. It's a great idea however I don't think I'll be able to make my point, so that's why I prefer typing it out.

I've been seeing a decrease of popularity of our community and that concerns me. For that reason I've been thinking of ideas how to improve the gamemode and make it more appealing to new players. I'm only talking about the gamemode part here, not about the staff team or anything else.

Back in the days I always was very keen on the required downloadable content. For years I've limited it to around 750MB. Many people disliked my limitation because they thought: the more content, the better. I agree with that and it would be a shame to remove the content that we're now used to have. But I've been thinking about the following idea:

- Let new players only download the map and the most basic models/materials. Such as only the playermodels. New people don't want to wait half an hour or more to download all content from a server they don't know. If the new player has the basic models and materials, he can get a good impression what the server is about. A popup will display: 'Subscribe to our packages at fearlessrp.net/content to see missing stuff'.
A new player should be able to join in a couple of minutes.

Then about the performance of the gamemode. It's a nightmare in terms of FPS. The coding is not great, but certainly not the cause of the FPS problems. When CityRP started, we've had low-polygon vehicles. I remember having a great FPS and no lag at all. Now we have extremely detailed vehicles that require a lot of rendering for just one vehicle, imagine 20 of them. Nobody wants those ugly cars back, so this is my idea:

- Remove parked cars after 5 minutes. There are a lot of unused cars that are using rendering power for no reason.

Next, due to the low player count I think we should change the map back..... We need more player interaction. With 7 people online you're walking in a ghost town. Get V2D or something back. When the popularity increases, we can always put back our custom map.

Let's put our gamemode in a category with similar servers. We're too small at the moment to have our own category, which is completely invisible somewhere at the bottom. I dislike DarkRP, but we could profit from its popularity, or look for another category.

Let's lower the slots from 75 to 40. Because 25/75 looks empty but 25/40 is more than half full. It would give more confidence to new players to join. It's very easy to add slots again if needed. We've got the GM running on a dedicated server, so have full control.

Give no-clip abilities to trusted builders (limited to a certain area). So that they can build at the live server.

Final idea: When we have somehow regained popularity, let's send a mass e-mail to all people reminding them of our existence. Maybe there are people out there that would give it a try and play again. But what's even more important: tell your friends about the server, ask them to join it and give it a chance. When Fearless started it was only me and a couple of friends playing it. It's the best and only way to advertise for Fearless.

These things I think would really benefit FL. Our gamemode has so much to offer, let's not forget what a great gamemode it is. The whole team and all the players made this community running for over a decade. 

Please do not start discussions about the staff team or my activity, let's use this thread to discuss the ideas above. We've got countless of threads with that other discussion already.
[Image: get.php?s=STEAM_0:1:15472195&b=9]
Make your own dynamic signature by clicking here.
The following 13 users Like SoulRipper's post:
  • ryan!, Jonas, Dimitris, RoCKy, Fudge, TASSIA, Lewwings, L Y N C H Y, Nephew, Grape, PhantomSolaris, Oliver, Spartan_KCT
Interesting ideas, I'm glad you're willing to bite the bullet on some of them like listing our server under DarkRP.

I personally think the dev team should go through some of the lesser used (but big) updates and perhaps consider removing them, or at least discuss possibilities. Think of the delivery driver system or others.
I also think the Steam group is a wasted potential, you guys should really pick back up on that one. There's multiple thousands of people part of that group. You could entice new players to join the group by giving them some bonus cash if they subscribe to the group.

I personally don't think too much will come out of this voice chat meeting, and I think it's way more structured to have forum threads, but let's wait and see. What is important though is that now that you guys are committing to this, that you guys actually do something with the voice of the community. Don't let this chance go away, and more importantly, stay transparant in the period after this meeting.
Regards,

[Image: mEVbpdN.png]
Thanks to Envy for the signature.
Agree with the majority of these points, although I think 50 slots rather than 40- gamemode does not perform well when there’s more on, as shown when the new map was released and it filled.

As for map, a rotation would be cool imo, would make for the most pleasing experience for everyone. V2D/SanRan/v4b1/etc
As for content, a lot could be tidied up /compressed, having looked at download sizes for certain things. It’s really no surprise it takes so long to download now. Something like 10gb of content when I last checked. This is a big, big job to clean up, and would take a long time, but should be looked at or done gradually.

Not too sure on DarkRP. I was originally supportive of the idea as an attempt, although the gamemode is very different to DarkRP, and it is very possible that it will be lost in the folder with the thousands of other servers, some with more players and more slots. Why not consider a unified CityRP category? Wouldn’t hurt to propose the idea at least, I suppose.

Definitely need more to keep players, though. There’s not much guidance available when someone joins, which could make the GM quite unfriendly to users. Something that could help is adding an extra bind to F4 to open the F1 menu? For those coming from DarkRP.

Agree with Yonno, too, transparency is important, as is community involvement, and I don’t think there’s enough of this.

We definitely need to take some action, this is a good step, let’s hope people don’t resort to toxicity.
Regards,
Connnnnnnn

Consider giving me a rep point here.

The following 4 users Like Conn's post:
  • RoCKy, RedPanda, Lewwings, PhantomSolaris
Acording to you informations, i will give my opinions and other stuff in this Thread. Cause i am not sure either if i can make it on a Monday to the community Meeting.

First of all i am actually happy that Soulripper is back here and trying to save the community before everything ends.

One of the most important things in our Community is the map i think. SanRanevo doesnt give that feeling as the others (EvoCity-Maps). And some people come up and say "give us ideas to improve the map". Well we can give you some ideas but the question is how long will it take until the improvements has been made on the map? 

As Soulripper said we should change our Map back to an EvoCity-Map to get Players back. And my idea would be: As long as we play on an EvoCity-Map the Devs could work on improvements of the SanRanevo Map. While we have reached an amount of players we can whenever change back to the current Map.

The Slots of the Server: In my opinion 40 Slots will maybe to low. Our Servers were almost always full when a Map change came. I dont know if it will be this time again but maybe. I would wait with the Slot change a bit... like we can change the Slots after we have changed the map to see if we need the Slot-Change or not.

Giving the right to fly around in a certain area to trusted people on the live server would be bit strange. I rather prefer that people build their dupes on the build server than on the live server.

Switching to a other category which is more famous would actually help us out i think. But i am not sure either of our Server would be right in the DarkRP-Category. But thats something we can still think about.

So all in all: We aren't allowed to wait anymore. We need to change something. I think the first step would be the Map-Change actually to get back some Players.

I hope that everything will be fine again very soon.
[Image: WbmV7IO.mp4]
The following 2 users Like RoCKy's post:
  • Jessixa, SoulRipper
(11-23-2019, 08:54 AM)SoulRipper Wrote: -Snip-

I agree with every point you made Soul. I am all for another map as I am not a huge fan of the current one, but not for a map rotation. I cba making new builds for a map every week, for now, move to a small map ( preferably V2D ) and once we have a bigger player base we can once again move to sanranevo. Another way of bringing players on the server is, of course, a ban wipe something that you brought up on the survey, are we going to have one?
The following 1 user Likes Dimitris's post:
  • Wolven
(11-23-2019, 09:44 AM)Conn Wrote: Agree with the majority of these points, although I think 50 slots rather than 40- gamemode does not perform well when there’s more on, as shown when the new map was released and it filled.

As for map, a rotation would be cool imo, would make for the most pleasing experience for everyone. V2D/SanRan/v4b1/etc
As for content, a lot could be tidied up /compressed, having looked at download sizes for certain things. It’s really no surprise it takes so long to download now. Something like 10gb of content when I last checked. This is a big, big job to clean up, and would take a long time, but should be looked at or done gradually.

Not too sure on DarkRP. I was originally supportive of the idea as an attempt, although the gamemode is very different to DarkRP, and it is very possible that it will be lost in the folder with the thousands of other servers, some with more players and more slots. Why not consider a unified CityRP category? Wouldn’t hurt to propose the idea at least, I suppose.

Definitely need more to keep players, though. There’s not much guidance available when someone joins, which could make the GM quite unfriendly to users. Something that could help is adding an extra bind to F4 to open the F1 menu? For those coming from DarkRP.

Agree with Yonno, too, transparency is important, as is community involvement, and I don’t think there’s enough of this.

We definitely need to take some action, this is a good step, let’s hope people don’t resort to toxicity.

I really think the map rotation thing is a bad idea. making some weeks more popular than other seems pointless and just will cause problems within the community. I think the download time is fine, most DarkRP servers take 20-30 minutes without even having custom content. 

It is very unlikely that we would get buried in DarkRP. If we had 25 people that is enough that new players would want to join. Honestly I doubt changing the player count would be needed, I think we would be keep way above 50 once we switch.
[Image: SEYlcy8.png]
The following 1 user Likes ryan!'s post:
  • Jonas

From someone who’s been playing here for thousands of hours, done countless amounts of roleplays and ultimately gotten Administrator, I’ll be giving my honest opinion about your ideas.

SoulRipper Wrote:- Let new players only download the map and the most basic models/materials. Such as only the playermodels. New people don't want to wait half an hour or more to download all content from a server they don't know. If the new player has the basic models and materials, he can get a good impression what the server is about. A popup will display: 'Subscribe to our packages at fearlessrp.net/content to see missing stuff'.
A new player should be able to join in a couple of minutes.

I like this idea. It would make join times mich faster, aswell as regular players wouldn’t be affected by this due to the fact that they already got the content from the workshop. A great idea, in my opinion.

SoulRipper Wrote:- Remove parked cars after 5 minutes. There are a lot of unused cars that are using rendering power for no reason.

I’m not a fan of this idea at all - yes I get that you’re focusing on FPS improvement for players. I usually get aeound 40-80 regularly, which is playable. I think if we start to remove cars after five minutes it could ruin some RP’s, if someone is hosting a car show and the others get out of their cars to see the other guys car, then all og a sudden their cars would be removed. What if you’re raiding, both as police and criminal - if you’re using your car for cover in a raid, you would have nowhere to take cover if your car just dissapered. Right now we administrators some times remove unused cars from the server (those that are broken and just standing still), I think we should just be better at that, so it potentially doesn’t ruin rp, or make ir akward.

SoulRipper Wrote:Next, due to the low player count I think we should change the map back..... We need more player interaction. With 7 people online you're walking in a ghost town. Get V2D or something back. When the popularity increases, we can always put back our custom map.

Honestly - if people want v2d, I’m all up for it, but I don’t like switching maps all of the time, especially considering I am a builder myself. It’s very demotivating to play on one map, just for it to get changed. I think we should bring this up as a point during the community meeting, to hear what they say.

SoulRipper Wrote:Let's put our gamemode in a category with similar servers. We're too small at the moment to have our own category, which is completely invisible somewhere at the bottom. I dislike DarkRP, but we could profit from its popularity, or look for another category.

The only thing I’m worried about with this, is the amount of minges. We could definetly profit from the popularity, but at what cost? Minges. Probably loads. If we put it in something like DarkRP, people will be expecting that they’re playing DarkRP, where the roleplaying is extremely poor.

SoulRipper Wrote:Let's lower the slots from 75 to 40. Because 25/75 looks empty but 25/40 is more than half full. It would give more confidence to new players to join. It's very easy to add slots again if needed. We've got the GM running on a dedicated server, so have full control.

I like this idea, it doesn’t affect anyone, and it’d be something that would be subtle to change. I think we should do this, especially in our dire time.

SoulRipper Wrote:Give no-clip abilities to trusted builders (limited to a certain area). So that they can build at the live server.

nOoOooOoo - if we start giving people noclip on live, that would just break character and bring it oocly, it could easily be abused. I don’t like this idea at all, there is no RP in flying around and building, all things considered, we still have the build server. If you’re thinking about a higher playercount on the server, I don’t think it’d be worth it. It would ruin any ongoing RP in the area. I don’t think we should add this, rather say that admins use the noclip command on players if requested.

SoulRipper Wrote:Final idea: When we have somehow regained popularity, let's send a mass e-mail to all people reminding them of our existence. Maybe there are people out there that would give it a try and play again. But what's even more important: tell your friends about the server, ask them to join it and give it a chance. When Fearless started it was only me and a couple of friends playing it. It's the best and only way to advertise for Fearless.

I like this idea alot. I think that advertising Fearless is a great idea. We also had a trailer competetion about two years ago, what if we make another one of those and use that trailer to show to others. We can upload it on the YouTube account that Tomo has access to. 
[Image: edfa8a344463b04e45f386ad4525099e.png]
The following 4 users Like Jonas's post:
  • Dimitris, Jessixa, Pollux, Lewwings
Not too sure on the parked cars situation. What if were basing, or people are raiding and their car just disappears, sorta cuts out the RP
The following 1 user Likes Flame..'s post:
  • Wolven
(11-23-2019, 09:59 AM)ryan! Wrote:
(11-23-2019, 09:44 AM)Conn Wrote: SNIP

I really think the map rotation thing is a bad idea. making some weeks more popular than other seems pointless and just will cause problems within the community. I think the download time is fine, most DarkRP servers take 20-30 minutes without even having custom content. 

It is very unlikely that we would get buried in DarkRP. If we had 25 people that is enough that new players would want to join. Honestly I doubt changing the player count would be needed, I think we would be keep way above 50 once we switch.

I agree with this totally.
[Image: edfa8a344463b04e45f386ad4525099e.png]
(11-23-2019, 08:54 AM)SoulRipper Wrote: Please do not start discussions about the staff team or my activity, let's use this thread to discuss the ideas above. We've got countless of threads with that other discussion already.

So you're aware of your activity yet do fuck all about it? This thread honestly isn't enough, you have to take part in stuff, you have to join in with stuff that the community do, you have to work for this server, not let everyone do it for you. Put these ideas into action, you started this server, either finish it, or do something useful for it.
The following 1 user Likes JONATHANPOO's post:
  • Flame..