Server banner V4B1 Server banner Build Server Discord FearlessRP YouTube
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UK Parliament Prorogation
(09-10-2019, 09:50 PM)Pollux Wrote:
(09-10-2019, 08:03 PM)Bobby Wrote:
(09-10-2019, 07:48 PM)Awestruck Wrote:
(09-10-2019, 07:24 PM)Conn Wrote:
(09-10-2019, 07:04 PM)Archer Wrote: Don't get me wrong, I'm pro-Brexit, but if a referendum three years ago is considered valid we may as well as consider the 1922 general election as the valid election

Get a deal, put it to a people's vote - second referendum, accept the deal or cancel Article 50.
Proroguing parliament is not the way to solve the matter.

A majority of the people voting on whatever "deal" is made would have zero expertise on what it would even mean for the country. That would be a shambles.

Do people not have enough expertise to vote in any referendum or general election?

No one said you can't vote, it's just it's stupid to think a 1% majority should overrule anyone in this massive decision which will affect us for pretty much forever. They're not obliged to leave, they should really put it up to another vote now that people actually understand the mostly negative things Brexit will result in. We vote up MPs to make decisions we don't fully understand, that's pretty much their job (some do take it more seriously than others though). If so many of them are saying this is a terrible idea, then maybe it is and we don't fully understand the consequences.

They are obliged to leave since we were told whatever got the most votes would be the thing that was carried out and a million people more voted in favour of leaving. The whole point was that there was a whole year or so period before the referendum took place for both sides to make their point and the negatives and positives were clearly told. MPs make decisions we don't fully understand is admitting you agree we will never fully understand Brexit but the issue with that is that they are not representing their constituency interest since many have voted in favour of remain despite their constituency voting decisively to leave. 

Just because someone who has invested interest tells you that the EU is good in parliament doesn't make them correct.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQL9F1_LjmeXS7Aej8A-KS...KdGOC1hXXg]
(09-10-2019, 07:04 PM)Archer Wrote: Don't get me wrong, I'm pro-Brexit, but if a referendum three years ago is considered valid we may as well as consider the 1922 general election as the valid election

Get a deal, put it to a people's vote - second referendum, accept the deal or cancel Article 50.
you’re absolutely correct, there was a 52% majority, which is a 1% difference. Jersey, where I live, was not given an opportunity to vote on the outcome of Brexit - bearing in mind the ghastly effects will be felt, and there are no positive effects for us here. I will therefore never accept the result of the referendum as it was forced upon the majority of the population (at least where I live). The 1% majority could have changed if we were given the chance to vote. 
The reality is, 3 years later people change, views change and the world changes. I feel like the people who voted for Brexit are just afraid of the outcomes if a second referendum came about.
Scottish High Court (Court of Session) rules that the advice Boris Johnson gave to the Queen to prorogue parliament was unlawful.

Bear in mind that the actual prorogation of parliament is a Royal Prerogative and can therefore not be challenged in law, but the advice the prime minister gives to the sovereign can be ruled unlawful, as is the case today.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-49661855
[Image: 8UtzdI4.png]
The following 1 user Likes aDisabledDeer's post:
  • juicyorange
(09-11-2019, 06:09 AM)juicyorange Wrote: there was a 52% majority, which is a 1% difference.

Remain: 48%
Leave: 52%
Difference: 8%

Spoiler :
Thought the difference would have been 4%, guess I suck at math

Either way, it's not 1%

(09-11-2019, 06:09 AM)juicyorange Wrote: I will therefore never accept the result of the referendum as it was forced upon the majority of the population (at least where I live).

So if the ref result was Remain back in 2016, does that also mean that you would not accept the result too?

(09-11-2019, 06:09 AM)juicyorange Wrote: I feel like the people who voted for Brexit are just afraid of the outcomes if a second referendum came about.

Not at all, in fact I would like to have a GE so we can settle this (The PM even wants one).
But it is the remainers that are afraid of being wiped out in a GE, so they won't give us one.

(09-11-2019, 09:21 AM)aDisabledDeer Wrote: Scottish High Court (Court of Session) rules that the advice Boris Johnson gave to the Queen to prorogue parliament was unlawful.

Bear in mind that the actual prorogation of parliament is a Royal Prerogative and can therefore not be challenged in law, but the advice the prime minister gives to the sovereign can be ruled unlawful, as is the case today.

Basically:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1Gkn43fUps
[Image: get.php?s=STEAM_0:1:68652272&b=1]
The following 2 users Like RIC0H's post:
  • Lewwings, Bobby
I mean it’s not meaningless, it has the power to create ancillary orders, however it has chosen not to do so as the matter will be heard at the Supreme Court on Tuesday.
[Image: 8UtzdI4.png]
The following 1 user Likes aDisabledDeer's post:
  • Sparx
(09-11-2019, 05:08 PM)RIC0H Wrote:
(09-11-2019, 06:09 AM)juicyorange Wrote: there was a 52% majority, which is a 1% difference.

Remain: 48%
Leave: 52%
Difference: 8%

Spoiler :
Thought the difference would have been 4%, guess I suck at math

[url=https://www.calculatorsoup.com/calculators/algebra/percent-difference-calculator.php?v_1=48&v_2=52&action=solve][/url]

Either way, it's not 1%

(09-11-2019, 06:09 AM)juicyorange Wrote: I will therefore never accept the result of the referendum as it was forced upon the majority of the population (at least where I live).

So if the ref result was Remain back in 2016, does that also mean that you would not accept the result too?

(09-11-2019, 06:09 AM)juicyorange Wrote: I feel like the people who voted for Brexit are just afraid of the outcomes if a second referendum came about.

Not at all, in fact I would like to have a GE so we can settle this (The PM even wants one).
But it is the remainers that are afraid of being wiped out in a GE, so they won't give us one.

(09-11-2019, 09:21 AM)aDisabledDeer Wrote: Scottish High Court (Court of Session) rules that the advice Boris Johnson gave to the Queen to prorogue parliament was unlawful.

Basically:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1Gkn43fUps
If the referendum was remain then nothing would happen because the UK would have just remained in the EU. Not sure what you mean by remainders don’t want a GE, I would absolutely love to see a general election and watch as the Conservative party get absolutely destroyed, it seems the politicians are of a different view. 

Scotland and Northern Ireland voted to remain, if England and Wales leave I would like to see what happens next with the union, it will be nice to see Scotland’s and NI’s economy grow after the unfair treatment from the central government for so many years.

The fact the advice given by the unelected leader of the not so United Kingdom was deemed illegal illustrates the intentions of Johnson, suspending parliament and preventing democracy from happening at all costs. The fact that the video listed is titled ‘anti-Brexit’ ruling really rejects it as a form of any evidence in a discussion. The judicary are independent and unbiased with all rulings, the video was made by some working class chav out of spite.
The following 2 users Like juicyorange's post:
  • aDisabledDeer, Conn

A majority of the people voting on whatever "deal" is made would have zero expertise on what it would even mean for the country. That would be a shambles.

Do people not have enough expertise to vote in any referendum or general election?
They don't, the pure ignorance that I see everyday on how important these Saudi oil refinery attack mean to the world and the Iranian threat on the West and the idiocracy of Corbyn supporters is frightening.
(Yesterday, 08:12 AM)Zombie Wrote:

They don't, the pure ignorance that I see everyday on how important these Saudi oil refinery attack mean to the world and the Iranian threat on the West and the idiocracy of Corbyn supporters is frightening.

I agree but our system doesn't work like that.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQL9F1_LjmeXS7Aej8A-KS...KdGOC1hXXg]
yeah I know it's democracy, but you gotta admit that there's some people out there don't deserve the right to vote