SA/Development Roadmap?
(05-19-2019, 10:48 PM)Small Fry Gamer Wrote:
(05-19-2019, 10:32 PM)Dimitris Wrote:
(05-19-2019, 08:25 PM)Small Fry Gamer Wrote:
(05-19-2019, 08:23 PM)Floodify Wrote: or maybe start paying devs and those who contribute under some type of employment to the community, then there'll be a roadmap perhaps

The whole staff consist of people who are friends lol, like they're gonna start demanding pay when they could easily get replaced at any moment by another person who doesn't want pay. Gotta keep the Soulripper boat afloat bro. Please donate all your paycheck to this server now.

It doesn't work like that for developers. Every dev just gets bored after some time. It happened with Pollux and I bet that's the case with Arny atm. They spend their free time developing for a server and get nothing in return.

They won't get paid lmao, its a Garrys Mod server - if you get duped into developing shit for it for free or moderating it for free you deserve to get nothing out of it.

There's a surprising amount of money you can make by developing on garry's mod. I remember me and Arny were doing the maths a while ago for gmodstore addons.
Pollux
Fearless Management
bork
(05-20-2019, 04:51 PM)Pollux Wrote:
(05-19-2019, 08:23 PM)Floodify Wrote: or maybe start paying devs and those who contribute under some type of employment to the community, then there'll be a roadmap perhaps

The whole staff consist of people who are friends lol, like they're gonna start demanding pay when they could easily get replaced at any moment by another person who doesn't want pay. Gotta keep the Soulripper boat afloat bro. Please donate all your paycheck to this server now.

It doesn't work like that for developers. Every dev just gets bored after some time. It happened with Pollux and I bet that's the case with Arny atm. They spend their free time developing for a server and get nothing in return.

They won't get paid lmao, its a Garrys Mod server - if you get duped into developing shit for it for free or moderating it for free you deserve to get nothing out of it.

There's a surprising amount of money you can make by developing on garry's mod. I remember me and Arny were doing the maths a while ago for gmodstore addons.

Ofc, they're selling scripts / addons - that doesn't just apply to GMOD it applies to almost everything for which custom content can be created. Doesn't mean people who volunteered to dev for a server should suddenly be paid, especially not here.
The following 1 user Likes Deleted User's post:
  • Agorith
(05-20-2019, 05:29 PM)Small Fry Gamer Wrote:
(05-20-2019, 04:51 PM)Pollux Wrote:
(05-19-2019, 08:25 PM)Small Fry Gamer Wrote: The whole staff consist of people who are friends lol, like they're gonna start demanding pay when they could easily get replaced at any moment by another person who doesn't want pay. Gotta keep the Soulripper boat afloat bro. Please donate all your paycheck to this server now.

Ofc, they're selling scripts / addons - that doesn't just apply to GMOD it applies to almost everything for which custom content can be created. Doesn't mean people who volunteered to dev for a server should suddenly be paid, especially not here.

Oh I was just making a general statement,  I don't think anyone on the dev team joined with the expectation they'd be paid. It is possible though, as demonstrated in another very similar community.
Pollux
Fearless Management
bork
Of course payment is possible, Soul even stated that years ago but so far no developer has had the balls to come forward and ask for it.
The following 1 user Likes Jan's post:
  • Santaliz
(05-20-2019, 05:39 PM)Jan Wrote: Of course payment is possible, Soul even stated that years ago but so far no developer has had the balls to come forward and ask for it.

Not many people here do have the balls to step out and point out flaws and things they want sorted, easier to just go with what the ranks think and believe. Gets you a rank if you work hard enough at it as we both know.

La-li-lu-le-lo.

I mean we do get stuff in return, I have learnt quite a bit from my time on FL and so has Arny. When I first got dev I was completely for being way more transparent for updates and having a roadmap, my views on this has changed over time though. The issue is as soon as an update has been announced publically or a date gets set, a lot of pressure is created. I think this shows quite a bit in the map thread, where people reacted quite poorly due to missed deadlines. While a roadmap and stuff would be a cool and all, I really don't think the community or developers could handle it. I kept setting myself deadlines and stuff for things I was making, it just creates so much unnecessary pressure and ends up in a mess.

I am however still completely for little "teasers" of upcoming updates only after they're far into their development cycle. I think hype can be very powerful if used correctly. I don't think dropping updates by "surprise" is a good for major updates at all, it feels like a bit of a waste.
Pollux
Fearless Management
bork
I don't see any reason why not. I can't think of anything wrong with transparency, especially in a developmental perspective. It would be nice to see where the community is heading in terms of what the SAs are thinking as well.
[Image: J1zObHm.gif]
Maybe original updates could be added to Fearless and then a month later that could be put on gmodstore and the proceeds go to the developers who made the update.
(05-21-2019, 06:37 AM)Bobby Wrote: Maybe original updates could be added to Fearless and then a month later that could be put on gmodstore and the proceeds go to the developers who made the update.

99% of stuff isn't compatible with anything but the FL gamemode, extra work would have to go into making them more generic and then providing support.

I get what your idea is, it just wouldn't work at all.
Pollux
Fearless Management
bork