rp_evocity_fl
(02-15-2019, 02:47 PM)Agorith Wrote:
(02-15-2019, 01:49 PM)CodedBrain Wrote: Got a paid job, development will continue.

Please prove Jan wrong just out of petty, smooch

Weren't people warned to stay on topic? Take an example by looking at Coded by the way, you should get a paid job aswell, it's about time no?

On-topic: I still do hope you prove me wrong, yet still highly doubt it.
The following 1 user Likes Jan's post:
  • Lewwings
(02-15-2019, 02:49 PM)Jan Wrote:
(02-15-2019, 02:47 PM)Agorith Wrote:
(02-15-2019, 01:49 PM)CodedBrain Wrote: Got a paid job, development will continue.

Please prove Jan wrong just out of petty, smooch

Weren't people warned to stay on topic? Take an example by looking at Coded by the way, you should get a paid job aswell, it's about time no?

On-topic: I still do hope you prove me wrong, yet still highly doubt it.

I have one iexdee, why are you so concerned about my personal life, appreciate it tho smooch

Anywhore I was on topic, I was giving him my motivational speech!
[Image: giphy.gif]

[Image: jUcv1hb.png]

On a more positive note, can you show us some updates on the project.
What problems have you encountered and what needs to be done before the project can potentially be released?

I am sure you have run into your fair share of speedbumps, which is only natural when attempting such a
grueling task, I am interested to hear about them, especially to see where you currently stand. Indeed, studying
is hard, i myself can relate to that as I have a fulltime job. I have understanding for your current situation
and i am only looking for information and transparency in what your current agenda is.
[Image: h2.png]
Visit my profile here.
(02-20-2019, 08:50 PM)Midget Wrote: On a more positive note, can you show us some updates on the project.
What problems have you encountered and what needs to be done before the project can potentially be released?

I am sure you have run into your fair share of speedbumps, which is only natural when attempting such a
grueling task, I am interested to hear about them, especially to see where you currently stand. Indeed, studying
is hard, i myself can relate to that as I have a fulltime job. I have understanding for your current situation
and i am only looking for information and transparency in what your current agenda is.

This.
As everyone requests more transparancy in my work, I will tell something about the problems I am currently in.

Before Garry's Mod had this amazing hammer update, I was running into a few issues.

There is a "block" in hammer which we call solids. Solids can be every shape. A wall, a window, the street or an arc. But to make an arc, we need multiple solids. We call this a complex structure. VBSP is the compiler of Source Engine maps. VBSP had a limit of 8192 solids (which I was already hitting), Whenever you exceeded this limit, the map couldn't compile at all. There are (which I am using) hacked compilers which raise these limits. This is great, and allow for more resources to work with. The problem however is that we don't know what a stable limit is. Is it just a bit over, or does that make the game crash? Is it unlimited? We had no idea.

Due to this, I was forced to take some steps into optimization. By turning buildings into props. This would save around 100 solids per building (because some buildings repeat, we can better have props of them). But this raises another problem, lighting.

See ligthing is carefully calculated by vrad (Valve Radiosity Simulator). This compiler calculates all kinds of lighting. This is the most expensive process of the whole compiling cycle. But it has a problem with props. Even though it does calculate shadow pretty good. Props are quite hard to process because of their tiny details, textures and sizes.

vrad doesn't normally do much with props. It looks at the models, calculates a quick shadow and then moves on. But that's a problem when it comes to prop houses. See, houses have windows, doors, and lightbulbs attached to the ceiling. This time, vrad has to calculate what light comes trough the window, what the light inside the house does, where the light bounces off and creates shadows inside the house.

Most of this has to be done manually. I need to create files with models names which need to be taken care of. I need to fix the light sources. And worst of all, I need to go trough EVERY model, and select an option to make vrad take care of that model with detailed lighting.

This is a very costly process, it takes a lot of time.

Now, with the release if the new gmod update. The limits of the source engine and it's compiling tools has been made clear. We now what the limits are, what is stable and what is not.

With this knowledge, I can reverse some of the work I've done on optimizng and get out the way of the issues which would occur with prop houses and lightning calculation. And eventually speed up development.

I should have been more clear with was is going on. And that this process is not easy at all. Especially when you don't have much time to work on it.

I'm expected to continue with development soon, and will tell about the steps I've taken.

I hope I informed you enough with this. And hopefully made you understand that working on a big map like this, and wanting it to look spectaculair brings a lot of problems with it.
The following 12 users Like De CodeerHeer's post:
  • ImTheRealSparks, Yonno, Zecon, Haarek, sebasti161, Spartan_KCT, , Joe Joe, Jessixa, mintblackbeard, Luna, Divey
Nice

[Image: 180px-Smiley.svg.png]
Are you completely focused on this as of right now, or are you wandering off needlessly?

Lets stop the negativity?
(02-25-2019, 04:59 PM)Forgee Wrote: Lets stop the negativity?

Oh, I’m sorry if a genuine concern of mine is somehow “negativity”, it’s not like I’m concerned about this map when the guy is literally assisting with the development of another community which uses a stolen version of the FL gamemode, nope it’s just some band-wagon Coded hater.

C’mon Forgee.

The following 2 users Like Lewwings's post:
  • Archer, Jan