What do you guys think + or - ?
(11-15-2018, 04:38 PM)Rookie (Isaac) Wrote: That graph is literally showing a slight downward trend, I reckon it probably matches the FL one

Look at FL charts in 2k16 and compare it to the current one whilst keeping in mind the overall Gmod one, it aint on eachothers track.

Even former SA's/current administrators/recent former administrators say the same thing, the team just isn't what it used to be.
But whenever I said anything of the sorts after my resignation, I was just the salty veteran.
And it's only gotten worse from there on out based on both the very vocal community input and recent ex staff statements.
The following 4 users Like Agorith's post:
  • Pollux, Falc, Wolven, Grunt
Okay, so the All-time highest peak of Garry's Mod (6 year old game) was 73,750 active users at once. This year the highest peak was 60,078.
That's very high, so clearly Garry's Mod isn't dying - Fearless is.

There are so many people still launching new servers and concepts, fighting to get players into their servers.
What Fearless does, is just being around. If you want the player base to increase or at least stay solid, you would have to invest more into the actual server other than keeping it online. That's the reality, and it counts for every game with multiplayer.

[Image: zDdcPs2.png]
[Image: Ium877O.png]

Source: steamcharts.com

[Image: uickTS0.png] +Rep
The following 2 users Like Santaliz's post:
  • Pollux, Rumbleâ„¢
Gmod is such a diverse game that the “gmod player count” not even tells half the story. A lot of players are playing TTT, sandbox or prisonbreak and are not interested at all in RP servers. Its very possible that Gmod isnt dying, but RP on Gmod is. Before mentioned gamemodes are all shortterm, you can play for 15 minutes and log off. RP servers generally require a larger investment of your time and maybe people are not longer willing to put that much effort in an extremely old game.

Long story short, its unfair to look at one, very general, statistic and base conclusions on that stat. We need way more specific statistics to claim that Gmod or RP are dying. That being said, FL is definatly dying and saying “Yup its dying, we cant help it though” is a way to passive response and ultimatly will contribute to the demise of FL.
(11-15-2018, 08:56 PM)Baskingner Wrote: Gmod is such a diverse game that the “gmod player count” not even tells half the story. A lot of players are playing TTT, sandbox or prisonbreak and are not interested at all in RP servers. Its very possible that Gmod isnt dying, but RP on Gmod is. Before mentioned gamemodes are all shortterm, you can play for 15 minutes and log off. RP servers generally require a larger investment of your time and maybe people are not longer willing to put that much effort in an extremely old game.

Long story short, its unfair to look at one, very general, statistic and base conclusions on that stat. We need way more specific statistics to claim that Gmod or RP are dying. That being said, FL is definatly dying and saying “Yup its dying, we cant help it though” is a way to passive response and ultimatly will contribute to the demise of FL.

I mean when the server which is closest to FL (in terms of gamemode) has 10x more players on at 9pm, I think it's safe to say it seems to be an issue with us.
Pollux
Fearless Management
bork
Garry’s Mod aint dying at all (although it will die when S&Box has been released by the developers of facepunch). Fearless is, I’ve never seen this playercount in 6 years of my time here at Fearless. Tbh I am just here to RP with SLYFI, other then that there is literally nothing you could do. 

The lack of activity of the staff members is one of the reason most people don’t want to RP as before. Minges just ruins this. Although FLAMS was released it might’ve helped abit but not enough.

I do hope FL is already thinking about what will happen if S&Box actually get released. Since staying as a RP community on Garry’s Mod when S&Box out means the ending of Fearless.

[Image: NkvEySV.png]

(11-15-2018, 10:37 PM)Mr. Flaminator Wrote: I do hope FL is already thinking about what will happen if S&Box actually get released. Since staying as a RP community on Garry’s Mod when S&Box out means the ending of Fearless.

That would probably be the only option. S&Box is completely on a different engine and all. 
The way I see it, porting the entire gamemode from Source to Unreal with a small dev would be an impossible task. This would mean importing all of the assets, all of the code and such, and these things would need to be converted on top of that. 

The only option would be to start from scratch on the new engine, which would be a very different thing for people that used to working with Source. 

Though it won't be an instant death once the game releases. People will slowly start moving there once the user created content starts coming out.
[Image: 8TTYBHM.png]
(11-16-2018, 04:51 AM)TheSiphon Wrote:
(11-15-2018, 10:37 PM)Mr. Flaminator Wrote: I do hope FL is already thinking about what will happen if S&Box actually get released. Since staying as a RP community on Garry’s Mod when S&Box out means the ending of Fearless.

That would probably be the only option. S&Box is completely on a different engine and all. 
The way I see it, porting the entire gamemode from Source to Unreal with a small dev would be an impossible task. This would mean importing all of the assets, all of the code and such, and these things would need to be converted on top of that. 

The only option would be to start from scratch on the new engine, which would be a very different thing for people that used to working with Source. 

Though it won't be an instant death once the game releases. People will slowly start moving there once the user created content starts coming out.

Ofcourse Garry’s Mod won’t die instantly, ain’t saying that. When S&Box comes out in BETA release, the best thing FL can do is start working from scratch again. I do believe its a possible task, even when it takes some time. Yes, they have to learn the new coding language, but when its open for beta you can already start. 

I am sure the members of FL are willing to wait for that and meanwhile they still play on Garry’s Mod untill its finished. 

This is the only way for FL to survive when S&Box actually gets fully released (Out of his Beta release). The other choice is to close down when it actually comes that far.

[Image: NkvEySV.png]

I give FL 3 months of life left
(11-16-2018, 10:28 AM)Mr. Flaminator Wrote:
(11-16-2018, 04:51 AM)TheSiphon Wrote:

Ofcourse Garry’s Mod won’t die instantly, ain’t saying that. When S&Box comes out in BETA release, the best thing FL can do is start working from scratch again. I do believe its a possible task, even when it takes some time. Yes, they have to learn the new coding language, but when its open for beta you can already start. 

I am sure the members of FL are willing to wait for that and meanwhile they still play on Garry’s Mod untill its finished. 

This is the only way for FL to survive when S&Box actually gets fully released (Out of his Beta release). The other choice is to close down when it actually comes that far.

I doubt there are any plans for FL to go to S&Box. It's just too big of a task to re-code the entire gamemode in another language.
Pollux
Fearless Management
bork
If Fearless were to hop over to S&Box once its available to the public, it would mean that Soul would have to be as involved as he initially was when he first started Fearless. I assume a lot of things would be put up for discussion if things were to be made from scratch. 

This alongside the fact that it's a whole new engine, I highly doubt the current development team has extensive knowledge to create a gamemode from scratch in a new code. You can say they can try and learn, but it's voluntary. 

Best thing Soul could do at that point is invest money into hiring developers to create a base gamemode, but I'm not entirely sure just how much time and money Soul would be willing to put into a "dying project" he initiated almost 10 years ago. I'm sure he still cares dearly about the community regardless of his activity, but all things do come to an end sometime. 

Nonetheless while I think S&Box will take a while and I dont have too much faith in a new gamemode coming on the new engine, it would most likely be the most positive looking future solution.