Changing perception on banning people
Interesting points you bring up. I'm definitely open to the idea of revisiting things that are seen as severe when perhaps they shouldn't be. We've already made some improvements throughout the last year with the way permanent suspensions work and last chances but of course there is always room for improvement.

Each admin has a lot of freedom to punish how they see fit, but of course I will always interject and have done in the past, when a punishment is way too harsh for such a little mistake. I've probably made mistakes in the past, but I feel as though personally my mind has opened up more than the longer I've served in the team. My administrative style has changed drastically from 2 years ago to now.

I don't mind sharing my own way of administrating. Whenever I do an @ sit I do the following things:
-Giving a blacklist rather than a ban if there is a blacklist letter

-Don't punish people under 10 hours, give them warnings (I give others warnings to, but mostly to newer players)

-Check their previous punishments (My default blacklist is 2 hours, if they have a similar punishment I go up an hour each time they received a blacklist for that access letter)

-See their reasoning/attitude (Say someone wants to roleplay but has been proppushing to backseat administrate - I feel as though they should be able to play, but I'd take away their prop access so they stop breaking the rule they've broken | Also if they are apologetic, over someone being rude, being more lenient will probably help in the situation as it shows they're open to change)

-I ask them what they've done wrong and if they don't know I teach them and refer to the rule.

-Depending on whether it's a grey area/new rule I'll give them a warning.

-If I give someone a warning, if they do it again then I'd give them a longer punishment than I would have originally.

-If they're an older player, then if it's a small slip up I'll give them a warning, but if it's a really basic rule then they must have had the intent to break it or at least neglected it, whereas newer players are likely just naive to it (again, this can be discovered by the persons explanation/attitude in the @ sit)

-Kick people for the smallest rules, such as camera spam, after a warning (With some situations, if you continue to kick them over and over again a punishment should be considered)

Again, my way probably isn't perfect and I've probably gone against my own rule book in the past, but this is my own personal way of administrating (There are more things I do, but those are for more specific situations which I won't bore you with). It's important for staff teams to find their own way, particularly when they're in the Trial position as their administrative style reflects on what their character is like for when we consider them in their final evaluation.
[Image: f2kzlKW.png]
The following 6 users Like Divey's post:
  • Pollux, Alphaverse, , Grunt, Luna, Lewwings
(07-13-2018, 07:48 PM)Divey Wrote: Interesting points you bring up. I'm definitely open to the idea of revisiting things that are seen as severe when perhaps they shouldn't be. We've already made some improvements throughout the last year with the way permanent suspensions work and last chances but of course there is always room for improvement.

Each admin has a lot of freedom to punish how they see fit, but of course I will always interject and have done in the past, when a punishment is way too harsh for such a little mistake. I've probably made mistakes in the past, but I feel as though personally my mind has opened up more than the longer I've served in the team. My administrative style has changed drastically from 2 years ago to now.

I don't mind sharing my own way of administrating. Whenever I do an @ sit I do the following things:
-Giving a blacklist rather than a ban if there is a blacklist letter

-Don't punish people under 10 hours, give them warnings (I give others warnings to, but mostly to newer players)

-Check their previous punishments (My default blacklist is 2 hours, if they have a similar punishment I go up an hour each time they received a blacklist for that access letter)

-See their reasoning/attitude (Say someone wants to roleplay but has been proppushing to backseat administrate - I feel as though they should be able to play, but I'd take away their prop access so they stop breaking the rule they've broken | Also if they are apologetic, over someone being rude, being more lenient will probably help in the situation as it shows they're open to change)

-I ask them what they've done wrong and if they don't know I teach them and refer to the rule.

-Depending on whether it's a grey area/new rule I'll give them a warning.

-If I give someone a warning, if they do it again then I'd give them a longer punishment than I would have originally.

-If they're an older player, then if it's a small slip up I'll give them a warning, but if it's a really basic rule then they must have had the intent to break it or at least neglected it, whereas newer players are likely just naive to it (again, this can be discovered by the persons explanation/attitude in the @ sit)

-Kick people for the smallest rules, such as camera spam, after a warning (With some situations, if you continue to kick them over and over again a punishment should be considered)

Again, my way probably isn't perfect and I've probably gone against my own rule book in the past, but this is my own personal way of administrating (There are more things I do, but those are for more specific situations which I won't bore you with). It's important for staff teams to find their own way, particularly when they're in the Trial position as their administrative style reflects on what their character is like for when we consider them in their final evaluation.

I honestly couldn't have say it better myself. How you're operating for banning is what I appreciate and what i'd expect. Banning for the sake of banning achieves nothing.

+1, im not saying everyone doesn't but if everyone had the same video as you did it would really make teh community a great place