Militarization of US Police
(03-24-2018, 09:17 AM)Marty Wrote: Police in Scotland are heavily investing in drones etc and cyber security while America is like “load em up boys, we got some black people to shoot”

Have a look at this video in which Police Scotland are actually training and demonstrating to American Police Chiefs etc on diffusing situations. Their response “In America, he’s getting shot”

Damn I love that whip used by the police, what is it called? I can't find it anywhere in Google.

I also see the same whip in this video, used on a crazy man with a knife:
(03-25-2018, 02:25 AM)Zombie Wrote:
(03-24-2018, 09:17 AM)Marty Wrote: Police in Scotland are heavily investing in drones etc and cyber security while America is like “load em up boys, we got some black people to shoot”

Have a look at this video in which Police Scotland are actually training and demonstrating to American Police Chiefs etc on diffusing situations. Their response “In America, he’s getting shot”

Damn I love that whip used by the police, what is it called? I can't find it anywhere in Google.

I also see the same whip in this video, used on a crazy man with a knife:

Ah you mean the spring baton. It’s essentially like a normal baton however when you do a striking motion it springs open and contains a solid steel rod.

The other thing used in the video is CS Gas which is somewhat similar to pepper spray but less lethal. The Gas gives an extremely painful face burning experience to the person it’s sprayed on however does no harm 15 minutes in fresh air and it’s gone, doesn’t require the person to go to hospital like Pepper Spray does.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Minor correction, that's an ASP Baton made from aluminium, it's friction lock operated, normally 24 inches if I remember correctly. 
Also that wasn't CS to my knowledge, that was PAVA, CS has a grey cannister, PAVA is in a red cannister. 

CS spray is a moisture/heat triggered agitant, that forms crystals on contact, acting as an incredibly annoying irritant, that often renders you entirely unable to see or breath clearly. 

PAVA is derived from capsaicin and is a whole lot more effective as you can't build up an immunity to it. 

In terms of the video, it actually demonstrates that a simple metal stick can deter a violent attacker, and firearms aren't always necessary. 
Is this applicable to American policing however? Not really, the climates and cultures are vastly different, our population isn't routinely armed, neither are the police, or the criminal fraternity in terms of using firearms. 
The risk of firearms related homocide is much higher in the US however we can certainly point to a militarisation of the UK police force as well due to current global trends, and the public perception as predicated by the media in the wake of the ''war on terror''.
(03-25-2018, 10:24 AM)Eisenhorn Wrote: Minor correction, that's an ASP Baton made from aluminium, it's friction lock operated, normally 24 inches if I remember correctly. 
Also that wasn't CS to my knowledge, that was PAVA, CS has a grey cannister, PAVA is in a red cannister. 

CS spray is a moisture/heat triggered agitant, that forms crystals on contact, acting as an incredibly annoying irritant, that often renders you entirely unable to see or breath clearly. 

PAVA is derived from capsaicin and is a whole lot more effective as you can't build up an immunity to it. 

In terms of the video, it actually demonstrates that a simple metal stick can deter a violent attacker, and firearms aren't always necessary. 
Is this applicable to American policing however? Not really, the climates and cultures are vastly different, our population isn't routinely armed, neither are the police, or the criminal fraternity in terms of using firearms. 
The risk of firearms related homocide is much higher in the US however we can certainly point to a militarisation of the UK police force as well due to current global trends, and the public perception as predicated by the media in the wake of the ''war on terror''.

Scottish Police only use PAVA spray you correct however many cops in Scotland still refer to it as CS, so the general consensus is that’s what it is. 2015 was the rollout of PAVA so really it could be either I don’t the specifics with the canisters etc so you may be correct.

You still here then shouting you’ve been sprayed with CS gas etc etc.

In terms of the baton, it’s correct term would be an ASP baton however again locally we call it a spring baton or in slang a spring cosh, they aren’t however from aluminium. Police issue are definitely steel, carbon steel to be exact.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Most of the UK began rolling out PAVA when I was still in the force in 2009, I think south yorks was one of the first to use it. 
ASP's back then were anodised aluminium, or polished, at least that's what we were told, a quick google tells me they used an alloy and offer it in both materials these days, so I can't actually comment on the accuracy of the details provided back then. So I guess we were both right/wrong at the same time. 
Not to be picky but they yell ''SPRAY'' no mention of CS. 

Just for curiosities sake I will say from personal experience (you get them used on you as part of the training process) CS is incredibly uncomfortable and irritating, but not really incapacitating apart from the fact you can't see. PAVA is most definitely in my opinion the more painful option, and also the friendlier one, CS can reactivate especially if you decide to take a warm shower after a faceful of it, and tends to clear the sinuses rather well. I'd also add I never came across a situation where people skills couldn't resolve a situation, that or a sufficiently large stick to work as a deterrent from silliness.