Dear Community Member: The Truth about fail rp
Feffe: "Since the concept of this gamemode is to simulate real life, in a tasteful fashion, the annoying, but non-harmful behavior should be treated as an in game, rp issue, for police to deal with, not admins with ban hammers." That's part of the original post. you must have missed it. annoying, but non harmful behavior. I've played on a larger Dark RP server, with no fail rp rule, no fear rp rule, no rdm rule, and nearly every job spawns with a weapon and a loaded mag, the damage is higher there, the rules are far more lax, yet overall I see less gunplay, less overall "score" on that server over the course of 6 hours than I do during 2 of FL's "full server" hours.

Zedd: There is nothing to prevent. The rule is bullshit. It should be removed. Fail RP has nothing to do with aggressive/violent/abusive behavior. Those behaviors are already covered within the rules. Fail RP specifically encompasses when people do not LIKE your behavior, or they consider it to be DISRUPTIVE. Hard fact: People can choose to be disruptive for any reason, take a look at Ryan!'s posts, pretty much no reasoning. If the behavior is NON-VIOLENT, it's an RP situation, NOT an ADMIN situation. Aka, Nut the hell up and either call the cops, or handle it.

King Kickass: I'm not going to offer opinion on any courthouse activity for multiple reasons. Mainly, it always leads to more problems then solutions. Best thing I can tell you is, once people understand exact what FAIL RP is, and what other rule violations are, understand how it applies, then we yall can do something about it. I personally don't care. I've grown up dealing with dildos, so I generally hide, do my own thing, and pull guns on everyone I have to interact with so that they are less likely to want to interact with me again. As for any ruling and your opinion on it, figure out exactly what aspect of that ban information actually applies to fail rp? Stealing a car as a citizen..... That's not fail rp, that's a job rule violation. Speaking of that "rule", I think I know my next "essay". Thanks.

Ratato: Hear-say. If there was any evidence of this matter, I'd imagine it would be in the courthouse, not the shithouse.

Agorith: No, I'm completely suggesting flat removing the fail RP rule, as everything players are banned for, hasn't actually been "fail rp" but falls under different rule sections. "Fail RP" encompasses abnormal but non-violent behavior. I can say I'm a cat, meow all day. I'll still be a person, people will just treat me like I'm nucking futs. That's an RP issue, great passive rp booster too for all sorts of reasons, not a ban issue. Just because you don't like how I chose to act, doesn't mean I'm wrong or out of character/context. It just means that you don't understand, and maybe don't care to, you just want it gone. Sad to say, buttercup, but annoying/weird people have just as much rights to play here, and any of the really annoying behavior, is already covered by other rules. (List of common "Fail RP" ban reasons: Doing something as wrong job (job rule violation), screaming nonsense in the mic, at high volume, disrupting everyone's rp (Mic Spam), Killing someone (RDM, potentially also Job rule violation)......

You guys getting it yet? Those things you are using as throw up points, those things you are afraid of people doing if the rule got removed.... That crap is already covered under the rules. You should NOT be able to punish someone for walking down the street, pretending he is whatever he is. You have to accept a few core mechanical truths to your game. Regardless if a person claims to be an alien, cat, dog, extra dimensional being, they are obviously still human. Instead of @omg admun, your penis so huge, come slay minge, huk huk. use /request Need Police/Medical or if your a criminal, perhaps /radio I found us a fall guy, ect.

Don't limit the roleplay potential because you are afraid that people will roll down the street killing one another, yelling N-bombs, ect. Remember how people flipped out about being racist IC, said it would be an everyday every minute thing, but yet it's still a rule here that you CAN be racist as hell IC, and I don't see it very often at all. Maybe once every few sessions, and usually it's me doing it. Because I can. Feelin me yet?
Example time: I should be able to walk down the street, with my gun out, point if I so choose, at whomever the hell I want, and not once be bothered by administration about it. I should be able to do this as pretty much any job, because if you can equip the weapon, that's on you. If I start shooting people for no reason, start raiding, that becomes an admin issue. Shooting your gun in the air, is discharging a weapon in public, which depending on the density of population, carries varies jail time. Cop, or even SRU problem...RP problem....

If a cop discharges his weapon for no reason, does god come out and kick him out of the universe? No. He gets yelled at, sometimes fined or fired. You could even have an admin "simulate" the sergeant taking the officer's gun for a few minutes till he cools down. But a ban? for shooting an unbreakable window, without hurting someone?

I mean I'm sure doing that crap is covered under some weapon rule I'll no doubtedly pick apart should I feel the need.
(11-25-2016, 07:38 AM)Old Man Jokhah Wrote: Example time: I should be able to walk down the street, with my gun out, point if I so choose, at whomever the hell I want, and not once be bothered by administration about it.

Unless the president gives the law that this is illegal, you should be able to do it.
The following 1 user Likes MacTavish's post:
  • Old Man Jokhah
I do agree that there are several aspects of the rules that need to be tweaked and it's something that has been in the making for a while now. In regards to the Fail RP rule; yes, it's very vague. However, one of the reasons it's there is because people love to find any excuse to do whatever they want and if that rule wasn't there, what would stop people from acting like complete retards just for the fun of it?

Yes, this is meant to emulate real life to an extent, but people act way differently on a screen than they do in real life. If the Fail RP rule wasn't there, what would stop:

- A chef from stealing a car?
- A gun dealer from only selling to his close friends and refusing to sell to other people?
- A Taxi driver that drives his Taxi and refusing to take customers?
- A Black market dealer working in a food stall?
- SRU from issuing traffic fines?
- Police from shooting into the air randomly when they want?
- A fireman refusing to put fires out?

There are way too many rules at the moment. The rules could be simplified greatly because most people can't be bothered reading them. However when you're in the staff team you realize that many people like to pretend they're lawyers and start finding flaws/loopholes in every rule, therefore more rules were added over time to prevent these "Loopholes", though it has gotten pretty ridiculous. Because it is impossible to write out all possible scenarios sometimes generic rules have to be applied, such as the "Fail RP" rule, which basically means "Roleplay in a realistic way that fits your character".

As much as I'd love to remove most of the rules, including the Fail RP one, and trust that people will do things in a way that's realistic even if it doesn't seem so, I know that unfortunately only 10% of the server can be trusted to do so. If we took the Fail RP rule away, the minging would be unbearable.
Live a good life. If there's a god and he's just, he will not care of how devout you are, he will accept you for the virtues you have based your life upon. If there's no god, then you will have gone, but you will have lived a noble life which will stay in the memories of those that you love.
The following 1 user Likes Holdem's post:
  • Feffe
(11-25-2016, 10:46 AM)Holdem Wrote: is is meant to emulate real life to an extent, but people act way differently on a screen than they do in real life. If the Fail RP rule wasn't there, what would stop:

- A chef from stealing a car?
- A gun dealer from only selling to his close friends and refusing to sell to other people?
- A Taxi driver that drives his Taxi and refusing to take customers?
- A Black market dealer working in a food stall?
- SRU from issuing traffic fines?
- Police from shooting into the air randomly when they want?
- A fireman refusing to put fires out?

did jokhah not say those fall under job rules?
MacTavish: Laws are RP, not administration.

Holdem: You make some interesting points, let me break them down to show you how they don't apply to Fail RP.

- A chef from stealing a car? (Job Rule: 9.6 You must roleplay your job accurately (i.e. do not pretend that you're a special ops soldier as a citizen or chef).
- A gun dealer from only selling to his close friends and refusing to sell to other people? (Job Rule: 9.6 You must roleplay your job accurately (i.e. do not pretend that you're a special ops soldier as a citizen or chef.) Same situation. A dealer must sell, however there is no rule dictating that he is REQUIRED to sell to everyone anymore.
- A Taxi driver that drives his Taxi and refusing to take customers? (Job Rule: 9.6 You must roleplay your job accurately (i.e. do not pretend that you're a special ops soldier as a citizen or chef.) And again, there is no rule stating that a dealer is REQUIRED to do business with anyone.
- A Black market dealer working in a food stall? *sighs* Also 9.6 You must roleplay your job accurately (i.e. do not pretend that you're a special ops soldier as a citizen or chef).
- SRU from issuing traffic fines? There is no specific ruleset that defines weather or not SRU are allowed to issue tickets. They are government policing persons. They surely CAN issue a ticket should they find the need, however the SRU are not supposed to patrol, so they'd have to witness it first hand and have nothing else going on. Again though, if you really wanted to impart your OPINION on how SRU should operate, use 9.6 You must roleplay your job accurately (i.e. do not pretend that you're a special ops soldier as a citizen or chef).
- Police from shooting into the air randomly when they want? (Government rule: 12.9 Police can not shoot vehicles unless it is vital that the car needs to be stopped, for example if the driver is putting lives of others at risk. Hot pursuit must be the first option.)
- A fireman refusing to put fires out? Job Rule: ( 9.6 You must roleplay your job accurately (i.e. do not pretend that you're a special ops soldier as a citizen or chef).

Not one of your examples is actually covered under fail rp. All of your examples fall under different, already existing rules. Just like the knee jerk response to in character racism, you are running on fear logic, not fact logic. All of those things you people think are fail rp, are actually different already listed rule violations. I suggest perhaps going over them and citing the correct rule violation, rather than lazily dumping "Fail RP" in there.

Also, the idea of requiring a shop owner to be forced to sell to everyone is kinda silly. In the USA, a shop owner reserves the right to refuse service to anyone he so decides. This is the exact reasoning that most servers have a player vote for demotion command. Abuses of that system are pretty much impossible with large groups, and even then the logical point is, if you hold majority, you hold majority vote. People don't like when others do it, but really, there isn't anything against it so long as the demotion criteria is met.
The following 1 user Likes Old Man Jokhah's post:
  • sebasti161