Voice Radio: Improved
(08-14-2016, 11:35 AM)Floodify Wrote:
(08-14-2016, 04:04 AM)DreeBott Wrote:
(08-14-2016, 01:25 AM)Floodify Wrote: Cool, is there some kind of filter on the voice radio between freq/group radio to be able to seperate from voice in your local area to your radio (except perhaps icon)? Would be nice with some  of the bass removed perhaps and add radio stutter (haven't tested this feature yet, just throwing it out there). Or perhaps set it as a custom setting to individually enhance the realism and let those who want clear sound to choose for themselves.

Last but not least - great work. This took for-fuking-ever and was almost deemed impossible years ago. Impressive.

I suggested that to Avgar, he said it's not possible but we'll see haha

that's what they said about fixing a voice radio lol

Not possible with current standards, let me explain why.

http://wiki.garrysmod.com/page/GM/Player...ayersVoice
This hook is used for determining whetever a player can hear another player, obviously used for the voice radio. The problem about that hook, is that you have no interaction over the sound data itself, if you look at the parameters. Hence why it won't be possible with current GMod standards.
The following 3 users Like Zyphix's post:
  • Arkten, Avgar, Rylund
(08-14-2016, 12:51 PM)Zyphix Wrote:
(08-14-2016, 11:35 AM)Floodify Wrote:
(08-14-2016, 04:04 AM)DreeBott Wrote:
(08-14-2016, 01:25 AM)Floodify Wrote: Cool, is there some kind of filter on the voice radio between freq/group radio to be able to seperate from voice in your local area to your radio (except perhaps icon)? Would be nice with some  of the bass removed perhaps and add radio stutter (haven't tested this feature yet, just throwing it out there). Or perhaps set it as a custom setting to individually enhance the realism and let those who want clear sound to choose for themselves.

Last but not least - great work. This took for-fuking-ever and was almost deemed impossible years ago. Impressive.

I suggested that to Avgar, he said it's not possible but we'll see haha

that's what they said about fixing a voice radio lol

Not possible with current standards, let me explain why.

http://wiki.garrysmod.com/page/GM/Player...ayersVoice
This hook is used for determining whetever a player can hear another player, obviously used for the voice radio. The problem about that hook, is that you have no interaction over the sound data itself, if you look at the parameters. Hence why it won't be possible with current GMod standards.

The expert has spoken lol
As said we used that hook for the Voice Radio which has NO sounddata.
The following 1 user Likes Arkten's post:
  • Coffee
As sad as it is, just like Zyphix stated you cannot modify voice data coming in from other players.

What COULD be done, perhaps, is to add some static to play while a person is talking to you via radio. Although voice quality in Garry's Mod is utter [redacted], so I wonder if it would be sensible to do that. May be more 'realistic', but more of a nuisance.
The following 1 user Likes Avgar's post:
  • Coffee
Maybe a small transmission noise could be played when the user presses the key? Only a very short sound though.
[Image: tgRQtsH.png]
The following 5 users Like Tomo's post:
  • Eclipze, Kahjo, MacTavish, TheMJ, Haarek
Great!
[Image: dca8211526043e00aed8a728131842bc.png]
What about playing a slight static noise or something similar when a player uses the mic? Basically what Avgar said.
[Image: h2.png]
Visit my profile here.
The following 2 users Like Haarek's post:
  • TheMJ, mintblackbeard
(08-14-2016, 03:49 PM)Midget Wrote: What about playing a slight static noise or something similar when a player uses the mic? Basically what Avgar said.
Ok so I dont know if any of you have ever played ARMA realism, but when you use the radio in that a quick audio clip plays when you start to transmit, here is a really cringe worthy video of my using with my friend afew years back, this is basically the same thing you suggested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzWt4OkUwZY Radio first used at 0:16 

anyway i think this would really help players realise if players were transmitting.
The following 3 users Like Forgee's post:
  • Avgar, Haarek, Cunix
(08-14-2016, 06:17 PM)Forgee Wrote:
(08-14-2016, 03:49 PM)Midget Wrote: What about playing a slight static noise or something similar when a player uses the mic? Basically what Avgar said.
Ok so I dont know if any of you have ever played ARMA realism, but when you use the radio in that a quick audio clip plays when you start to transmit, here is a really cringe worthy video of my using with my friend afew years back, this is basically the same thing you suggested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzWt4OkUwZY Radio first used at 0:16 

anyway i think this would really help players realise if players were transmitting.

Cool video, never thought ARMA would be this fun to watch.

OT: Well demonstrated use of the static. Would probably be the best solution since it wouldn't constantly hurt the already bad quality of Garry's Mod voice, but could offer a nice way to signify radio usage. On top of that it can be optional.

Good work everyone, I think that's what we'll put in the blueprints and implement in a future update.
The following 2 users Like Avgar's post:
  • DreeBott, Arkten
nice meme
Something I have noticed is that it's very hard to differentiate between the voice radio and your close vicinity. And it becomes even harder when people are talking on the voice radio at the same time as someone is talking in your vicinity.

I realize there is no way to alter the voice coming through. But what about making it further away? Like I.e. the voice sounds are lower if people are further away from you.
Isn't there some way to recreate that?

Maybe you could somehow make the voices play from further away from the player or something?
[Image: h2.png]
Visit my profile here.
The following 1 user Likes Haarek's post:
  • Cunix