Server banner V2D Server banner V33X
Fearless TeamSpeak Viewer Server banner 				Build
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flight Simulation
Welcome to the Flight Simulation thread!

I've decided to start this thread for those in the community who use Flight Simulators so that we can discuss many aspects to our hobby.

It is primarily to share screenshots, discuss your set-up (PC Specs or Flight Sim Hardware), any help you might need or anything else to do with the hobby!

I use Flight Simulator X and typically do long-haul flights (I like anything longer than 5 or 6 hours). I recently purchased PMDG's 777 add-on for FSX to give a realistic experience to the operation of a Boeing 777 (in this case, the 777-200LR). Before this, I used PMDG's 747-400 - The Queen of The Skies!

On Final at New York JFK Airport:
Spoiler :
[Image: wTQUo3k.png]

[Image: HqzrUnq.png]

Landing at Hong Kong after a 13 and a half hour flight from San Francisco.
Spoiler :
[Image: zihBjyT.png]

[Image: dWw0qOn.png]

These are a few images from Air Canada Flight 15 - Toronto to Hong Kong. Sadly, the sim crashed about 8 hours in. Still got some magnificent shots of the polar ice cap!
[Image: zwa15uR.png]

Cockpit - You can see the north pole on the ND "N90W000":
Spoiler :
[Image: HIUQXaw.png]

Some from my most recent flight, Air Canada 33 - Vancouver to Sydney. Total Flight Time - 14 hours 28 minutes.

The moon keeping us company over the Pacific:
Spoiler :
[Image: he6cC7h.png]

Sunrise over the Pacific Ocean:
Spoiler :
[Image: Vo11WNd.png]

Approaching the Aussie main land!
Spoiler :
[Image: a9j6Jt7.png]

Final to runway 34L at Sydney. You can see the current elapsed flight time on the chronometer! (14:25)
[Image: ggpoSql.png]

That's it from me at the moment. Depending on what's going on tomorrow, I plan on doing the flight above again. I'm currently making my schedule for the rest of September!

I look forward to hearing your stories surrounding Flight Simulators (new and old), but I have a few questions:

1) What Flight Simulator do you use?
2) What Aircraft do you commonly fly?
3) How long are your flights?

Cheers,
Regards,
aviator
[-] The following 1 user Likes aviator's post:
  • Rumble™
I do own Flight Simulator, and I do plan to actually play it soon but I'd rather wait till I get a setup, as playing on a keyboard and mouse is terrible.

What kind of setups do you guys use and what software do you use with Flight Simulator?
I tried to play FSX.... bought it legit form game, CD key didn't work and haven't bothered re buying since... really would like to if I bought a flight stick
Regards,
Barkles
Ex- Administrator
(09-13-2014, 03:56 PM)Wood Wrote: I do own Flight Simulator, and I do plan to actually play it soon but I'd rather wait till I get a setup, as playing on a keyboard and mouse is terrible.

What kind of setups do you guys use and what software do you use with Flight Simulator?

Depending on what's going tomorrow I'll try and post a picture of my set-up, perhaps in action.
If you have the money, I recommend getting a Yoke as opposed to a Joystick, but a joystick will usually suffice for most flying styles.
I actually seldom use my hardware because long-haul flights mean many hours of automatic-pilot.

(09-13-2014, 03:56 PM)Barkles Wrote: I tried to play FSX.... bought it legit form game, CD key didn't work and haven't bothered re buying since... really would like to if I bought a flight stick

I really recommend getting back into it if it's your thing. Whether you like flying fighter jets, general aviation, or taking a jumbo jet across the world.

Also, I'm considering making a step to VATSIM (Virtual Air Traffic Simulation network) and flying online with other pilots and air traffic controllers!
Regards,
aviator
I'm interested in pictures of your setup too, 13 hours of flight simulator, you hopefully had a break, right?
[Image: Y7ulxVq.jpg]
Personally I love long flights, but I just don't have the time to do them. :p I also do semi long flights with my 737 NGX from PMDG... But I really want to know if anyone here loves propeller planes as much as I do, specifically the JetStream 41. I actually recently bought the J41 from PMDG it really is a beautiful aircraft... So, anyone else have that?

Also I have Saitek stuff. (rudders, flight yoke, and a throttle quadrant)
I am also wondering what kind of lighting software do you use Aviator? I am really curious so my game can look as beautiful as yours...
Kind regards,
Tmdirtbike.
[Image: WkIo5ZX.png]
(09-13-2014, 04:32 PM)Greed^ Wrote: I'm interested in pictures of your setup too, 13 hours of flight simulator, you hopefully had a break, right?

Indeed, I had quite a few breaks and probably too many cups of tea to keep me going!

(09-13-2014, 04:45 PM)Tmdirtbike Wrote: Personally I love long flights, but I just don't have the time to do them. :p I also do semi long flights with my 737 NGX from PMDG... But I really want to know if anyone here loves propeller planes as much as I do, specifically the JetStream 41. I actually recently bought the J41 from PMDG it really is a beautiful aircraft... So, anyone else have that?

Also I have Saitek stuff. (rudders, flight yoke, and a throttle quadrant)
I am also wondering what kind of lighting software do you use Aviator? I am really curious so my game can look as beautiful as yours...

Another who likes long-haul flying! Time is limited, especially in the school term which means I can only really fly on Saturday (sometimes Sunday). Saturday is preferable because that way I can go to bed later and not worry about school. It's quite hard to wake up at 0500 and stay up until 0030!

I don't really like propeller aircraft in Flight Simulator (I do in real life though), but I only have the 747 and 777 from PMDG. I'm looking into purchasing the 777-300ER from them and then the 747 V2 when it is released.

I have the Saitek Pro Flight Yoke, Throttle Quadrant and Rudder Pedals. I also have some Instrument Panels and a multi and switch panel - but I rarely use these since they don't really work with PMDG aircraft (they don't use the default Flight Sim auto-pilot/switch control).

At the moment I am just using a standard ENB series for FSX. I can upload the files if you want but I am trying to tweak them to make it a little more realistic. Hard to get the balance between too bright and not "right".
Regards,
aviator
Always played FSX, was pretty good at it in my opinion, not as good as the most but I liked flying across the world in the PMDG 747. With awesome graphics installed. Always played on HippyHappy server but that stopped so now on FSCloud which is almost the same but more stable I guess. But I didn't play for a while because i get pissed off when FSX crashes...
reg someone
[-] The following 1 user Likes Weecow's post:
  • Tmdirtbike
(09-13-2014, 05:21 PM)Weecow Wrote: Always played FSX, was pretty good at it in my opinion, not as good as the most but I liked flying across the world in the PMDG 747. With awesome graphics installed. Always played on HippyHappy server but that stopped so now on FSCloud which is almost the same but more stable I guess. But I didn't play for a while because i get pissed off when FSX crashes...

Oh my, the good old days of HippyHappy... Those were always nice. Also, I can't agree more... FSX crashing is a pain.
Kind regards,
Tmdirtbike.
[Image: WkIo5ZX.png]
FSX and crashes. The beautiful relationship! Only in Avsim have I ever seen a whole sub-forum dedicated to CTDs (Crash to Desktops).

Unfortunately, it is just the nature of FSX and every so often one is bound to have a crash. It's usually a fault with a dll, such as g3d.dll or g2d.dll.

I can offer help with two types of crashes:
A fatal error caused by using the FSX Menu (Alt) in flight and the infamous "FSX has ran out of memory".

It's a real bummer when FSX decides to crash 8.5 hours into a flight!

I recommend downloading FSXSave (http://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/f...osave-104/) if you don't have FSUIPC (registered) as this tool will auto-save your flight at a specified time.
Regards,
aviator