Freshman year of college: Majoring in Physics
I recently enrolled at a 4-year college and decided after a few months that my major would be in Physics with a possible minor in Computer and Info Sciences. Although I have been a straight A student in high school with a 4.0 and many AP classes behind me I have never actually taken a physics class and this has me quite worried.

Before I get too far though I'd like to say that I LOVE math and although I have never taken a Physics class, I cannot tell you how many hours I've spent watching Khan Academy teach physics lessons and spending hours and hours on youtube watching physics lectures. I understand many of the concepts and I don't think I'd have a hard time in the classes but I do not truly know what to expect when it comes to taking COLLEGE level Physics. However, Physics has been one of the most interesting subjects to learn about for me, so I can't seem to turn away from it.

So after talking about random information, the questions I'd like to ask all of you are: Does anyone major in Physics now? Did you enjoy your physics classes even if you didn't major in it? Do you think it's a good idea to pursue a degree in that field if you have never taken an actual class before in it?

Any feedback would be nice, just like some opinions. Pretty confident either way.
(07-05-2013, 08:39 AM)BigPapaJett Wrote: I recently enrolled at a 4-year college and decided after a few months that my major would be in Physics with a possible minor in Computer and Info Sciences. Although I have been a straight A student in high school with a 4.0 and many AP classes behind me I have never actually taken a physics class and this has me quite worried.

Before I get too far though I'd like to say that I LOVE math and although I have never taken a Physics class, I cannot tell you how many hours I've spent watching Khan Academy teach physics lessons and spending hours and hours on youtube watching physics lectures. I understand many of the concepts and I don't think I'd have a hard time in the classes but I do not truly know what to expect when it comes to taking COLLEGE level Physics. However, Physics has been one of the most interesting subjects to learn about for me, so I can't seem to turn away from it.

So after talking about random information, the questions I'd like to ask all of you are: Does anyone major in Physics now? Did you enjoy your physics classes even if you didn't major in it? Do you think it's a good idea to pursue a degree in that field if you have never taken an actual class before in it?

Any feedback would be nice, just like some opinions. Pretty confident either way.

How long ago was this post made? Ah, guess it's not too important.
OP, I'm starting a BA in Architecture this September. I haven't pursued Maths, Physics or Art since I was sixteen and I'm two grades below minimum entry requirements and cannot draw very well. But I landed an unconditional place at one of the best universities for architecture in Britain, because when I met the program director he thought I was 'intelligent and thoughtful'.

My brother, a BSc Computer scientist did the same - never taken a class such as that before the degree and he is doing incredibly well. I suppose it's all about perseverance.

I think starting something you have never done before in university for your degree is absolutely fine as long as it something that you have always envisioned yourself doing.
All the best for the future.