The Pulse: Community Catch Up | 2WC 17 Apr
(05-07-2023, 08:45 PM)Forgee Wrote: Honestly the forums are so outdated, I think archiving and moving entirely to discord is the way forward.

TS3 more like
[Image: 8qIOXca.jpg]
(05-09-2023, 04:39 PM)Haarek Wrote:
(05-05-2023, 10:23 AM)Doctor Internet Wrote:
(05-04-2023, 11:20 PM)Haarek Wrote: But I think it is a ridiculous mentality to be preparing to give up. As it seems like you sometimes are.

Look at this thread honestly, and ask yourself one question: Why would someone want to keep working for this community, when this is what the community is? When the only reasonable responses have been from Archer and Rocky, and everyone is just trying to practice for their pro-dom humillation session.

Isn't the whole point of this whole ordeal that you are trying to build a new community with an entirely new playerbase? You aren't working for any of us, you are working for entirely unknown people. If you don't do a good job nobody will join, isn't that motivation enough?

Or does the praise of an old playerbase who doesn't play anymore really matter to the teams motivation to such a great extent?

This is aggressively wrong, so lets break it down.

Building up new players doesn't mean just abandoning older players, which is why we've been avoiding updates that change too much, or change systems that older players rely on & enjoy, why we took a lot of our basis from the community polling. The aim is to improve the player experience both new and old, and in doing so, improve the new player rate, and retention rate.

Secondly, I thought you were smart enough to realise the effects of constant negativity and toxicity, but lets analogise insead:

You have an enjoyable job, I don't know what you like to do, but lets say it's at a hospital. You're not being overworked (lol), you've got a good team who you enjoy working with, and your management stick up for you, and are competent. Sounds good, why would you ever leave?

Every day you have to go through a crowd, who scream at you, how you're a murderer for not using ivermectine to deal with the flu or some shit. Twice, since you have to go home too.

They're not part of the medical community, or the team at the hospital. But don't you think that might take a toll on your motivation to continue doing that job?

(05-09-2023, 04:39 PM)Haarek Wrote: Yes, I agree my "snarky" comment to Pollux was un-needed, but it was meant as a joke. I don't see the reason to be so uptight and take everything so personal. How do you expect people to want to join a community where you have to walk on eggshells constantly?

The same set of "jokes" that've been going round for months, from multiple people, some of whome use it to dogpile random threads with BS, after we've just made a post on this thread about how we'll be more proactive in removing shit like that from the forums, after we already issued warnings and bans to people arising from their conduct in this thread? Context is important, and it appears like you ignored all of it here in order to present yourself as the victim. Be better.

(05-09-2023, 04:39 PM)Haarek Wrote: The work you are doing is great. But I am going to be honest and say the past months of management has been shit, and a string of bad decisions has been made over several months. That's my genuine opinion from my point of view. There's not even a server up and running. Seriously, what the fuck, right?
Prey tell, what are these bad decisions?

Not starting a server that isn't ready? Where only like 25% of the changes are ready?

Clamp down on toxicity on the forums? Where multiple people have said that they don't go on the forums because of it?

Responding to clearly bait posts?

Don't just wildly gesticulate at bad decisions, be specific.
You want us to improve, or even to give you explainations?

General assertions are only good for grandstanding, and you're better than that.

(05-09-2023, 04:39 PM)Haarek Wrote: That's not to say things can't change. I support you guys, I truly do. The work you are doing is fantastic and you are doing a good job.

However opinions are as they are, I am annoyed with certain things, many people are.
Annoyance is fine, lots of us are annoyed.
I'm annoyed by the slow progress, I enjoy RPing. Shocked gasp, someone faints, questions asked at Parliament.

But you can be annoyed, without the constant "FL dead", "management shit", "all updates are useless".
You can be annoyed without the toxicity, the flaming et al.
Yours
Doctor Internet;

Developer, Systems Operator,
Data Protection Officer, Business Advisor,
Server Administrator, Community Moderator
The following 3 users Like Doctor Internet's post:
  • Wolven, gin, Boonan
(05-09-2023, 05:38 PM)Boonan Wrote:
(05-07-2023, 08:45 PM)Forgee Wrote: Honestly the forums are so outdated, I think archiving and moving entirely to discord is the way forward.

TS3 more like
was that a joke or?
(05-05-2023, 10:23 AM)Doctor Internet Wrote: we didn't wave the magic developer wand and rewrite FL in 2 days and create a 200/200 pop server with 5000 FPS and 2 ping.

wait, is that an option?
(05-10-2023, 11:35 AM)Doctor Internet Wrote: Building up new players doesn't mean just abandoning older players
It doesn't mean abandoning new players, but it means you need to get new players. You could argue the "loyal" playerbase accounts for something, but it doesn't equate to nearly a fraction of the players you are required to keep the server full on weekends and half-full on weekdays.

You need a massive majority of your players to be new.

(05-10-2023, 11:35 AM)Doctor Internet Wrote:
Every day you have to go through a crowd, who scream at you, how you're a murderer for not using ivermectine to deal with the flu or some shit. Twice, since you have to go home too.

Is this really how you sum up your teams experience dealing with us?

(05-10-2023, 11:35 AM)Doctor Internet Wrote: about how we'll be more proactive in removing shit like that from the forums, after we already issued warnings and bans to people arising from their conduct

Everything is being taken very seriously, and the room to be funny or sarcastic is slowly diminishing like the likelihood of a cactus giving motivational speeches on hydration.

I think the point of this forum has always been to be funny and steer of controversy and start drama. I think the more you suppress this inner urge of players, the more people will not bother to check the forums and engage. Drama and discussions are good.

(05-10-2023, 11:35 AM)Doctor Internet Wrote: Prey tell, what are these bad decisions?

- Several economy changes over the past 3 years.
- Uneeded additions that don't help player count
- Rigid and uptight staff members and weird and questionable promotions
- Closing down the server
- Trying many new things, but not having the patience to stick to those decisions.
- Bad insight in what made FL good in the past
- Not prioritising lowering content size and improving FPS
- A plethora of rules that inherently ban new players if they don't care.

I am sure your team can justify and defend every one of these assertions. Because that is what some of you are very good at. Convincing yourselves that you are right.

(05-09-2023, 04:39 PM)Haarek Wrote: That's not to say things can't change. I support you guys, I truly do. The work you are doing is fantastic and you are doing a good job.

However opinions are as they are, I am annoyed with certain things, many people are.

(05-10-2023, 11:35 AM)Doctor Internet Wrote: Annoyance is fine, lots of us are annoyed.

But you can be annoyed, without the constant "FL dead", "management shit", "all updates are useless".

I don't think all updates are useless.

Most of them are good. And you guys are doing a solid effort - and we respect that.

There are several ways to convey displeasure, and sometimes emotions take over from common sense - especially when you don't have much time to spare - and the consequences that seems to be railing the abyss are grave.
[Image: h2.png]
Visit my profile here.
[Image: cat-singing-scary-funny-minecraft-monday.gif]
The following 1 user Likes L Y N C H Y's post:
  • Luna
(05-11-2023, 08:47 AM)Haarek Wrote:
(05-10-2023, 11:35 AM)Doctor Internet Wrote: Building up new players doesn't mean just abandoning older players
It doesn't mean abandoning new players, but it means you need to get new players. You could argue the "loyal" playerbase accounts for something, but it doesn't equate to nearly a fraction of the players you are required to keep the server full on weekends and half-full on weekdays.

Okay? That has nothing to do with what I said though.

No, it's an oversimplified example, utilising metaphor, to allow people to understand the dynamics of the situation, utilising hyperbole to establish a clearer understanding of the situation.

(05-10-2023, 11:35 AM)Doctor Internet Wrote: about how we'll be more proactive in removing shit like that from the forums, after we already issued warnings and bans to people arising from their conduct

Everything is being taken very seriously, and the room to be funny or sarcastic is slowly diminishing like the likelihood of a cactus giving motivational speeches on hydration.

I think the point of this forum has always been to be funny and steer of controversy and start drama. I think the more you suppress this inner urge of players, the more people will not bother to check the forums and engage. Drama and discussions are good.

Discussions are, drama is a reason people stay away.

(05-10-2023, 11:35 AM)Doctor Internet Wrote: Prey tell, what are these bad decisions?

- Trying many new things, but not having the patience to stick to those decisions.

I am sure your team can justify and defend every one of these assertions. Because that is what some of you are very good at. Convincing yourselves that you are right.

So if we don't answer, we're ignoring your feedback.
If we do, and disagree, we're just "convincing ourselves we're right."
So the only thing we can do, in your eyes, to be right, is to agree with you, totally and entirely.

I agree, we are always wrong, and you are always right.
If you'd like an actual discussion about these, feel free to DM me, but I won't waste my time on this when you've clearly already made up your mind.

Most of them are good. And you guys are doing a solid effort - and we respect that.

I wasn't quoting you, and there's a group of people who don't.
I'm sure you saw the first set of replies, before they got deleted.

Unless those were also just jokes.

lol

(05-11-2023, 08:47 AM)Haarek Wrote: There are several ways to convey displeasure, and sometimes emotions take over from common sense - especially when you don't have much time to spare - and the consequences that seems to be railing the abyss are grave.

What lack of time to spare?
Yours
Doctor Internet;

Developer, Systems Operator,
Data Protection Officer, Business Advisor,
Server Administrator, Community Moderator
The following 1 user Likes Doctor Internet's post:
  • Self
//Haarek and Doctor Internet take it to PMs please  Cool
Regards,
Panda
NOT AN Administrator
The following 2 users Like Panda's post:
  • Haarek, Nuka

Okay? That has nothing to do with what I said though.

"Okay?" -  Seems like we agree on the matter then. Terrific.

No, it's an oversimplified example, utilising metaphor, to allow people to understand the dynamics of the situation, utilising hyperbole to establish a clearer understanding of the situation.

So let's try to avoid needless complaining, insults Etc. Etc.
I think we see eye to eye on that matter.

However Gmod is Gmod. If you are expected to get an influx of new players you'll have to also be resilient. I recommend seeing the humor and weirdness in such attacks. We're an internet community. It's inevitable.

Discussions are, drama is a reason people stay away.

People love drama and it engages them. It makes everything more interesting.
There's exceptions of course.

So the only thing we can do, in your eyes, to be right, is to agree with you, totally and entirely.

Oh, so you've discovered the secret to universal wisdom and harmonious living.

(05-10-2023, 11:35 AM)Doctor Internet Wrote: I agree, we are always wrong, and you are always right.
If you'd like an actual discussion about these, feel free to DM me, but I won't waste my time on this when you've clearly already made up your mind.

You asked for specifics and I delivered. We don't need to have an in-depth discussions of these things here. It's not suited. However I'd gladly have a discussion some other time about it.

I haven't made up my mind on anything.

I wasn't quoting you, and there's a group of people who don't.
I'm sure you saw the first set of replies, before they got deleted.

I think deleting those replies helps nobody.

(05-11-2023, 08:47 AM)Haarek Wrote: There are several ways to convey displeasure, and sometimes emotions take over from common sense - especially when you don't have much time to spare - and the consequences that seems to be railing the abyss are grave.

What lack of time to spare?

As you get older your priorities change.

But you still care. And people show that in different ways.

Some ways are better than others.
[Image: h2.png]
Visit my profile here.
I like this game. Can I play?
Kind Regards,

[Image: nw3ghiD.gif]
The following 2 users Like Awestruck's post:
  • gin, VIVZZ