What happened to the server?
(09-28-2022, 10:12 PM)James Wrote:
(09-28-2022, 05:41 PM)Lewwings Wrote: but I'd say things are on the up; slowly but surely.

i need some of that copium you're huffing

I agree here, that statement is definiately delusional.
An offensive wise gentlemen known as LYNCHY played and the server had players, they banned this player and server went back to 0 players must be a mystery if you ask me
The following 3 users Like L Y N C H Y's post:
  • Self, livkx, Dragnort_
(09-29-2022, 06:55 AM)Nadrickk Wrote:
(09-28-2022, 05:41 PM)Lewwings Wrote: but I'd say things are on the up; slowly but surely.

When was the last time you joined the server or any of our events? We just went from no activity to ~2-3 events per week. We're already full-steam planning out entire october. If that progress is too slow for your standards, then you're just an ingrate, and I don't care if you joined the server in 3600 B.C. and became an admin when Roman empire fell. If you're a forums keyboard warrior in 2022 without playing or joining events, then you have no right to talk down to people like that who are actually trying to make a change. Take a week and make your own event, try to make your own community movement to repopulate the server, make your own advertising systems for the server. Only then you'll have a right to call others delusional and claim that no progress has been made.
~ Equinox ~
(09-29-2022, 09:39 AM)Equinox Wrote: -

We're all on the same team here.
No need to take stuff personal
[Image: h2.png]
Visit my profile here.
(09-29-2022, 09:58 AM)Haarek Wrote:
(09-29-2022, 09:39 AM)Equinox Wrote: -

We're all on the same team here.
No need to take stuff personal

Well, no Haarek, you're wrong. We're not on the same team here. We only have a common goal. Call it personal if you want, but I'm talking for everyone that's putting hard work into progress. Barking at hard-working people is not progress. Mind the difference between constructive criticism and tasteless degradation.
~ Equinox ~
(09-29-2022, 09:39 AM)Equinox Wrote:

When was the last time you joined the server or any of our events? We just went from no activity to ~2-3 events per week. We're already full-steam planning out entire october. If that progress is too slow for your standards, then you're just an ingrate, and I don't care if you joined the server in 3600 B.C. and became an admin when Roman empire fell. If you're a forums keyboard warrior in 2022 without playing or joining events, then you have no right to talk down to people like that who are actually trying to make a change. Take a week and make your own event, try to make your own community movement to repopulate the server, make your own advertising systems for the server. Only then you'll have a right to call others delusional and claim that no progress has been made.

why do you have to rely on events to attract players to the server
[Image: MbKaP7E.png]
The following 3 users Like James's post:
  • Self, Hi-grade, Rossi
(09-28-2022, 01:51 PM)Jan Wrote: Long essay you say? I've got nothing better to do at this moment anyway so here we go. Below you'll find a bit of history for you & others to read, aswel as the reasons Fearless is doing what it's doing from my own point of view.

• 2011-2012: These were arguably the peak years of Fearless. Fearless developed into a monster of a community, it attracted thousands of players over these years, and after watching my brother play for weeks in 2010 and at the start of 2011 I joined in this period myself as well. At the start of 2011 Fearless had one server: V2D. It did quite well and usually at the peak times you had to wait in a queue for 10-30 minutes while being thrown out every now and then due to errors, you just kept on trying to join though because man was it fun. At the end of this period Fearless had 3 servers that pretty much were always full.

Man, 2011 Fearless was just something else
The following 1 user Likes Transmission's post:
  • Mist

you understand that events have a negative impact on server population in this instance correct? Good on you for trying and putting in effort. It’s just the wrong channel.
(09-29-2022, 11:35 AM)Fultz Wrote:

you understand that events have a negative impact on server population in this instance correct? Good on you for trying and putting in effort. It’s just the wrong channel.

Since these events have all been hosted on the main server, it creates a time where people know others will be online, and the server pop rises during these times, but then drops away completely once the event is over. I don't think "negative impact" is the phrase to use here.
(09-29-2022, 11:27 AM)James Wrote:

why do you have to rely on events to attract players to the server

In fairness it makes sense for an Event Coordinator to be focused on hosting (mini-)events as a means of attracting and retaining players, along with admins on rule enforcement, developers on content, etc.

I'd also like to dispel the notion that thinking circumstances are improving "slowly but surely" is in any way "delusional".

This is also going to be focused on the events team as it's not my place to spout off about the administration or development teams.

Over the last month, the events team has reorganised itself internally and with a new plan and a refined approach to things, a sizeable number of events and minievents have been pumped out successfully for the playerbase to enjoy. We do this because we want to give Fearless players the best experience possible, and that currently includes running roleplays to bring some life back to the server as the natural ebb and flow of things has not quite returned yet.

I agree with jfd13 in that the marketing of Fearless needs more focus. Anything to consolidate what reach we currently have (forums, discord, steam, etc) and to also reach out and attract new folks - but also to retain them. I would love nothing more than for the server to be back in full swing with a full server daily at the very least, but that's not the reality of the current situation. However things aren't hopeless either, it's just that the sort of changes that are needed are not going to come into place overnight, they are something that needs committing to over a long period of time, and thankfully the team is full of committed and caring people, we're not making things up as we're going along here, we are following a realistic plan and are already seeing some positive results as a result of it, so as corporate as it sounds: give it time.

Also shoutout to Fultz for calling out a big problem that events pose, if you're talking about what I think you're talking about - that being they either detract from players joining the main server or that they remove interest from playing on the main server if a specific, server-wide event is being held - then this is something that has been considered internally, and what can be done to mitigate those problems is something we're working on too.

And don't forget, if you want proper change as opposed to just calling out authority figures, be the kind of change you want to see and pitch in yourself. Individuals working together for a shared purpose can do some really good things, even on Gmod.

[Image: jUcv1hb.png]

The following 2 users Like Lewwings's post:
  • Self, Hi-grade