serious fl discussion ideas
(09-23-2022, 08:28 AM)Haarek Wrote: The "best" and "community favourite" often has no correlation on FL.
That is unfortunately the honest truth.

Having a map like v2d would tremendously help Wolven, and everyone else populate the server faster.

I think there's a needless stigma against v2d right now -
the map seems like a logical choice for the predicament FL is in at the moment.

It could be easier to get the ball rolling on a smaller map like v2d, as it generates more player interaction.

(09-23-2022, 11:33 AM)Pollux Wrote: V2D would be nice for nostalgia but it's also a very controversial map which meant it'd be very risky for us to swap to it, it also really not that small with it often feeling much bigger than V4B1 due to it not looping. Siphon has a side-by-side comparison somewhere showing that it's actually the same size if not bigger than V4B1, especially when it comes to driving distances. V4B1 was the safe pick with almost everyone voting for it which is why we went to it, it also has things such as event boxes which makes it easier for the EC team to host events on main - something which I'm sure you'll agree is very vital right now.
generates more player interaction.

What makes the map better suited - is the city area that is significantly more congested. I agree events are important, but the event box is a luxury that can't compete with more frequent player interaction.

I think Wolven, Boonan and everyone else helping populate the server would greatly benefit from a more congested city.

(09-23-2022, 11:33 AM)Pollux Wrote: I do find it odd that a few of you were at first telling us to swap to V2D as it's what the community wanted, and now that we've swapped to V4B1 (as it turns out the community wanted V4B1) we're being told to ignore what the community wants and go V2D. I don't think there's any way to exactly please everyone here when it comes to the map which is why switching yet again is probably pointless, it's easier to just stay on the map everyone likes or at the very least doesn't mind. I also really do hate the focus on the map, I thought we concluded a while back that the map is just used as a scapegoat for pretty much every other issue?

Well, I think we should consider the current situation, and try to look for changes that can help FL. I wouldn't consider changing to v2d a final solution to FL´s problems - I would rather consider it a helping hand for our most dedicated members - those who spend those monotonous hours trying to kickstart the server.

(09-23-2022, 11:33 AM)Pollux Wrote: we were looking into was some sort of nostalgia night where we do swap to V2D and an old version of the gamemode on the event server for a bit. If we do end up giving up or once FL is a bit more stable we'll look into finishing that up as it'd be nice.
This sounds like a great event. I like it

(09-23-2022, 11:33 AM)Pollux Wrote: EDIT: I'd actually like to ask you something, do you genuinely believe V2D would significantly help with FLs situation? I would agree that it'd have short term nostalgia, but we'll likely be on it for a while. We've seen V2D in the past do very well for about a week before completely dying off, do you think it'll be different this time?

Changing to v2d could help them retain a larger amount of players to get a bigger ball rolling.

But I don't think it would change FL´s more longterm player problems.

If people like Wolven get bored of kickstarting the server, it won't matter what map FL is running. If nobody is there, nobody will play.

V2d won't solve FL´s big problems - that's clear -
but I do think it could help our most dedicated members get more traction in their kickstarting.
[Image: h2.png]
Visit my profile here.
The following 3 users Like Haarek's post:
  • Jessixa, aDisabledDeer, Nuka
(09-23-2022, 11:52 PM)frost Wrote: me getting admin

frost as SA will be the moment FL has officially died.  Heart
V2D is the absolute pits for admin brown nosers. The only nostalgia you'll get there is veterans licking your arsehole.

V33x is a must.
[Image: giphy.gif]
(09-24-2022, 07:54 AM)Marty Wrote: V2D is the absolute pits for admin brown nosers. The only nostalgia you'll get there is veterans licking your arsehole.

V33x is a must.

If there was more than 6 players currently online at prime time on a saturday I'd be more inclined to say V33x, but that's too much space for too little people.

-Maybe bias because I was always a V2d fanboy when we had both servers up, V33x used to lag like crazy when you had 70 players
[Image: 8UtzdI4.png]
The following 1 user Likes aDisabledDeer's post:
  • Nuka
(09-24-2022, 02:24 AM)Arkten Wrote:
(09-23-2022, 11:52 PM)frost Wrote: me getting admin

frost as SA will be the moment FL has officially died.  Heart
cheeky fucker
littletown would kinda sound fun at this point
[Image: cSmfz9P.png]
The following 3 users Like gin's post:
  • rino, Marty, Awestruck
(09-24-2022, 12:19 AM)Haarek Wrote:
(09-23-2022, 08:28 AM)Haarek Wrote: The "best" and "community favourite" often has no correlation on FL.

Having a map like v2d would tremendously help Wolven, and everyone else populate the server faster.

It could be easier to get the ball rolling on a smaller map like v2d, as it generates more player interaction.

(09-23-2022, 11:33 AM)Pollux Wrote: V2D would be nice for nostalgia but it's also a very controversial map which meant it'd be very risky for us to swap to it, it also really not that small with it often feeling much bigger than V4B1 due to it not looping. Siphon has a side-by-side comparison somewhere showing that it's actually the same size if not bigger than V4B1, especially when it comes to driving distances. V4B1 was the safe pick with almost everyone voting for it which is why we went to it, it also has things such as event boxes which makes it easier for the EC team to host events on main - something which I'm sure you'll agree is very vital right now.

What makes the map better suited - is the city area that is significantly more congested. I agree events are important, but the event box is a luxury that can't compete with more frequent player interaction.

I think Wolven, Boonan and everyone else helping populate the server would greatly benefit from a more congested city.

(09-23-2022, 11:33 AM)Pollux Wrote: I do find it odd that a few of you were at first telling us to swap to V2D as it's what the community wanted, and now that we've swapped to V4B1 (as it turns out the community wanted V4B1) we're being told to ignore what the community wants and go V2D. I don't think there's any way to exactly please everyone here when it comes to the map which is why switching yet again is probably pointless, it's easier to just stay on the map everyone likes or at the very least doesn't mind. I also really do hate the focus on the map, I thought we concluded a while back that the map is just used as a scapegoat for pretty much every other issue?

Well, I think we should consider the current situation, and try to look for changes that can help FL. I wouldn't consider changing to v2d a final solution to FL´s problems - I would rather consider it a helping hand for our most dedicated members - those who spend those monotonous hours trying to kickstart the server.

(09-23-2022, 11:33 AM)Pollux Wrote: we were looking into was some sort of nostalgia night where we do swap to V2D and an old version of the gamemode on the event server for a bit. If we do end up giving up or once FL is a bit more stable we'll look into finishing that up as it'd be nice.

(09-23-2022, 11:33 AM)Pollux Wrote: EDIT: I'd actually like to ask you something, do you genuinely believe V2D would significantly help with FLs situation? I would agree that it'd have short term nostalgia, but we'll likely be on it for a while. We've seen V2D in the past do very well for about a week before completely dying off, do you think it'll be different this time?

Changing to v2d could help them retain a larger amount of players to get a bigger ball rolling.

If people like Wolven get bored of kickstarting the server, it won't matter what map FL is running. If nobody is there, nobody will play.

but I do think it could help our most dedicated members get more traction in their kickstarting.

Thinking about it what you said about V2D getting a bigger ball rolling does make a lot of sense, to play off the nostalgia with updates events etc to stop people getting bored of kickstarting the server but it would have to be executed perfectly for it to work otherwise I don't think there will be a recovery.

The only thing is, as the community did vote for V4 by a considerable amount, management, or more specifically Pollux will receive backlash from going against what the community voted for / and or wants, its happened before and unfortunately it will most likely happen again.
[Image: 8qIOXca.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes Boonan's post:
  • Wolven
(09-25-2022, 05:15 PM)Boonan Wrote:
(09-24-2022, 12:19 AM)Haarek Wrote:

Thinking about it what you said about V2D getting a bigger ball rolling does make a lot of sense, to play off the nostalgia with updates events etc to stop people getting bored of kickstarting the server but it would have to be executed perfectly for it to work otherwise I don't think there will be a recovery.

"Perfectly executed"
This is the current issue. People are losing faith in FL, the server has 1 player, and y'all are waiting for the perfect moment... I wonder when that is, if it's not now..
The following 1 user Likes Nadrickk's post:
  • aDisabledDeer
V2D edit incoming
The following 1 user Likes User 19014's post:
  • Equinox
It would be interesting to see how many of those people who voted for V4B1 actually play or have at least joined the server once ever since the map change. V2D is by far not my favorite map, but I still believe it would be a better option compared to V4B1 in these recovery times. It may be equally big when it comes to hammer units, but the map feels small and crowded which amplifies the roleplay/interaction friction between players. Sometimes even with 10-15 players on V4B1 the map just feels like a ghost town, everyone is hiding in obscure locations printing money and farming outside events.

tl;dr V4B1 too big for recovery times. Perfect map when number of players reaches 25+ on daily basis
~ Equinox ~