LHC - Run 3
Star 
I don't know if there's any quantum physics or general physics enthusiasts out there, but those of you who are, you already know what's going on just by looking at the title.

Large Hadron Collider is starting Run 3 today, starting with 13.6 TeV (teraelectronvolt / 1.6 * 10^7 J), trying to look for *new* primordial subatomic particles with higher energy levels. 10 years ago, the last particle that was discovered belonged in boson subgroup (Higgs boson) starting at 125.3 GeV (gigaelectronvolt), or 0.1253 TeV. This can briefly give you the scale feeling of the upgrade.

Yes, it's true that new stable-beam accelerators can in theory form quantum black holes (which are just a quantum decoherence disposition events acting upon a single particle and it's neighboring gluons and gravitons), but these can never accrete to hazardous levels, since Hawking radiation evaporates them within picoseconds (smaller the black hole, faster it evaporates).

I wonder what is your opinion on this event as a major breakthrough in quantum physics as humanity. Will we learn anything life-changing from this? Is it worth pouring so much money into projects like these? Should we ever even tackle quantum physics and stick to macrophysics/macroworld in which we exist as humans?

https://www.innovationnewsnetwork.com/la...mme/22830/

https://lhcb-outreach.web.cern.ch/2022/0...l-partner/
~ Equinox ~
It's neccesary, to hopefully learn more about the universe and how it works and was created.

There's barely a chance for black holes, as we're not even working on a level that could create black holes..
(07-05-2022, 11:25 AM)Nadrickk Wrote: There's barely a chance for black holes, as we're not even working on a level that could create black holes..

You're mistaken, 'black hole' can already be formed from a single hydrogen (or deuterium, or other hydrogen -1/2 isotope) colliding with either positron or opposite spin counterpart of itself, at energy levels of 2.72 TeV or higher. You achieve that energy by either accelerating particles to near-c, or shifting it's magnetic dipole to charge it. We have more than enough energy to do it.

There's a reason I put black hole in quotations, as it's not same black hole as in cosmology, but it still falls under the same criteria, where we collapse two identical particles with opposite spin (and their corresponding gluons) into singularity. Tragically enough the 'black hole' itself immediately decays, as there's no additional energy (inside LHC near-vacuum) to preserve it, releasing alpha radiation, beta radiation and a muon-phonon pair that we later detect in one of the detectors in LHC.

Thankfully(?) the low-energy ion ring only outputs same-spin 1st gen protons (besides heavy ions that can't be used at such energies) that repulse and rearrange at collisions, rather than recombinate like opposite spin particles, because that's the intention at LHC. There still are events however, where deuterium shifts (or decays) in the accelerator itself (either from gamma decay or muon ionization). Like, sure, the chances of this happening are extremely low, I believe Cern approximated one black hole per 1.12 seconds (at 960 mega collisions per second and 31.6 MHz crossing rate - 600 petabytes of data from all detectors), so capturing such event on detectors is extremely lucky. To clarify again, these 'black holes' aren't those black voids like they are portrayed in movies, but are singularity events that fall under the same criteria, and under certain conditions, would accrete to cosmic scale (will never happen for several reasons, purely impossible).
~ Equinox ~
We're all gonna die
Kind Regards,

[Image: nw3ghiD.gif]
The following 2 users Like Awestruck's post:
  • Equinox, Toe Shmicki
(07-05-2022, 12:38 PM)Awestruck Wrote: We're all gonna die

You got exactly 1 hour left.
I hate armchair scientists
[Image: h2.png]
Visit my profile here.
The following 1 user Likes Haarek's post:
  • Awestruck
(07-05-2022, 07:30 PM)Haarek Wrote: I hate armchair scientists

I hate amateur photographers
~ Equinox ~
Beef
Kind Regards,

[Image: nw3ghiD.gif]
I'm hoping (expecting) them to find unusual stuff with the weak nuclear force like what Fermilab found with the W boson's mass. Hopefully the new run will start to tear apart the standard model.

One thing I have in mind is that what if the next new physics can only be accomplished by harnessing ridiculous amounts of energy, energy we can't ever harness technologically within the next 1000 years maybe. If so, then pouring in all this money (with the more energy required to accelerate the particles, the more expensive) into new colliders and experiments would seem like a waste and would be better used elsewhere for humanity. But we'll never know really if this is the case until we try.

But I'm still kinda all for it.
The following 1 user Likes MegaOmega's post:
  • Equinox
(07-05-2022, 08:19 PM)Equinox Wrote:
(07-05-2022, 07:30 PM)Haarek Wrote: I hate armchair scientists

I hate amateur photographers

Implying you don't hate professional photographers?
They are the worst
[Image: h2.png]
Visit my profile here.