Return of classic features to the gamemode
With the return of a few of the older features to the gamemode, I thought it might be a nice idea to discuss what people loved about FL in days gone by, with the hopes of picking out a few ideas that can be put into a suggestion thread.

Unlike a lot of servers, FL has been around for well over a decade now and it would be a wasted opportunity to not at least try and see if nostalgia helps draw people back.

I'll raise my hand and admit I am no developer so this may not be a viable option, but if the amount of time development has is an issue, why not try and re-implement old features or go the whole-way and revert to an old version of the gamemode? Could call it FL: Classic!

Some of the features I can think of are:

• The old loading screen music (not sure if any thing is set at the moment, haven't had an opportunity to check) Song 1 Song 2 Song 3
  • The old F1 menu + HUD 
  • Old suits, 
  • Old vehicles
  • Reverting to previous jobs like Special Service Agents
  • Consider reverting to the old rules because at the moment it's quite tedious and would be off-putting to new people trying to learn or old players returning. Gaming should not be a massive effort, it should be fun, especially given that this is a semi-serious server

I would also like to add that this may not be a perfect plan, but if we have old revisions of the gamemode available why not use them? It is worth a try at least and better than letting the community die after all this time. 

It's better to try and discuss ideas that to twiddle-thumbs and hope someone comes up with something, so by making this thread I am trying to do my bit and I encourage others to do the same!

It should be noted that this thread is intended to discuss gamemode content so posts should not include rants about how the server ought to die. Just putting it out there now.
[Image: H9hqjyZ.png]
The following 4 users Like Nacreas's post:
  • JT2017, dig, Rossi, TonettaFan #2319
Just spoke to DigDug who recommended this song as a loading screen option:

He was in support of the idea, but he is locked-out at the moment.

Edit:

Additional suggestions by Dig:

- Reinstate the Teamspeak server - It brought people together and you could see how many people were on by the server banner on the forum which encouraged people to join. We used to get in excess of 30 people!
[Image: H9hqjyZ.png]
The following 2 users Like Nacreas's post:
  • mintblackbeard, Rossi
I still believe the old rebel clothes look better than the current ones. Same with SRU job, I miss the old job name and playermodels.

Bring back those black banners on HUD that displays general info, FL website and commands like /help. They can get annoying, but it encourages new players to visit forums and ask for help.

Old car damage as well, people used to be better drivers back then because it took them one mistake and their car would explode. You'd also get more mechanic-towing vehicle RP interaction with that, rather than having 10 bumps and just driving to nearest mechanic box to fix everything for 1k.

Things like moonshine and farming should be removed as well. They force you to stay inside your base at all times. Everything should be as simple as "press E on them every 20 min" like old weed and contraband, and you spend those 20 min raiding or shopping.

Get rid of CS:GO props and bring back old ones. Be more lenient when it comes to realistic building, back in days it could still be fun and achievable to win those rusted metal mazes in industrial warehouses, all it took was a breach or two or a molotov to flush people out.

This might be a huge nostalgia-like request, but I truly believe some of these are quality of life improvements and would make experience better.
~ Equinox ~
The 2012 loading screen, and the loading theme of 'Big Bang Cafe' (instrumental) is the main reason I'm sitting here today.

If that combination wasn't there, I likely would have clicked away from the 100mb download it took me like 30 minutes to do back in 2012.
Kind Regards,
Link
Veteran

The following 1 user Likes Link's post:
  • Rossi
Old lotus Elise was the best 180k I ever spent.
I understand if people are nostalgic, however, it simply isn't a good strategy for more than a week. We've played on the nostalgic factor many, many times in the past and we've always come to the same conclusion - that it only lasts about a week before people want it gone. Things change for a reason, and many of those who played in the past won't come back just because we've added a few old features due to them simply lacking the free time they once had when younger. Players didn't stop playing FL because of changes over the years, they stopped playing because they got jobs and other real life commitments that means they no longer have all day to spend on FL. One of the biggest things we've obviously failed at is attracting new players to replace those who've left, reverting back doesn't help with that.

There will be an early 2015 gamemode event at some point which should give people the nostalgia trip they want, but it's not intended to be a permanent thing because we know it doesn't last long. We're also not going to go older than 2015 as we simply don't have anything older that works and is authentic.
Pollux
Fearless Management
bork
bring back scout tranquilizer
The following 1 user Likes Bulldogg's post:
  • RaZZ
(11-02-2022, 11:59 AM)Pollux Wrote: I understand if people are nostalgic, however, it simply isn't a good strategy for more than a week. We've played on the nostalgic factor many, many times in the past and we've always come to the same conclusion - that it only lasts about a week before people want it gone. Things change for a reason, and many of those who played in the past won't come back just because we've added a few old features due to them simply lacking the free time they once had when younger. Players didn't stop playing FL because of changes over the years, they stopped playing because they got jobs and other real life commitments that means they no longer have all day to spend on FL. One of the biggest things we've obviously failed at is attracting new players to replace those who've left, reverting back doesn't help with that.

There will be an early 2015 gamemode event at some point which should give people the nostalgia trip they want, but it's not intended to be a permanent thing because we know it doesn't last long. We're also not going to go older than 2015 as we simply don't have anything older that works and is authentic.

you've spent half your time as management telling what you won't do. what are you planning to do?
The following 2 users Like Nadrickk's post:
  • Bulldogg, SpaghettiFTW
(11-02-2022, 03:30 PM)Nadrickk Wrote:
(11-02-2022, 11:59 AM)Pollux Wrote: I understand if people are nostalgic, however, it simply isn't a good strategy for more than a week. We've played on the nostalgic factor many, many times in the past and we've always come to the same conclusion - that it only lasts about a week before people want it gone. Things change for a reason, and many of those who played in the past won't come back just because we've added a few old features due to them simply lacking the free time they once had when younger. Players didn't stop playing FL because of changes over the years, they stopped playing because they got jobs and other real life commitments that means they no longer have all day to spend on FL. One of the biggest things we've obviously failed at is attracting new players to replace those who've left, reverting back doesn't help with that.

you've spent half your time as management telling what you won't do. what are you planning to do?

Sadly, like many of us, Pollux is human. And the funny thing about that is to come up with a well-thought-out plan, we need time. Now correct me if I'm wrong but didn't we just drop an updated based upon the voices of a vocal minority which heavily relied on nostalgia and is currently failing to bring back the older audience?

So what Pollux is saying is entirely correct if you look at the statistics. Clearly what we had isn't working, what we have isn't working - so maybe, just maybe we need more time to figure out what's next and if that will work.
Regards,
Joe Joe
Fearless Teacher Admin Clan Officer Admin Event Manager Clan Officer Veteran Admin Event Manager Veteran Management Veteran

[Image: OMVm0Um.png]
Have I helped you out? Rep me >Here<
The following 2 users Like Joe Joe's post:
  • Wolven, Boonan
(11-02-2022, 04:50 PM)Joe Joe Wrote:
(11-02-2022, 03:30 PM)Nadrickk Wrote:

Sadly, like many of us, Pollux is human. And the funny thing about that is to come up with a well-thought-out plan, we need time. Now correct me if I'm wrong but didn't we just drop an updated based upon the voices of a vocal minority which heavily relied on nostalgia and is currently failing to bring back the older audience?

So what Pollux is saying is entirely correct if you look at the statistics. Clearly what we had isn't working, what we have isn't working - so maybe, just maybe we need more time to figure out what's next and if that will work.

I understand the whole Idea of the old map and update was to bring back the older players and allow for a more simpler. entertaining game mode. However, the change was made just a couple of days officially and it isn't right to already voice it as "Failing". A lot of the older players, myself included have full time jobs, relationships, kids, etc. now. I'd loved to join, and I will do so soon. Give us a chance before categorizing this as a failure. 

OT: I think you have a wonderful idea, Nac. It would be nice to see the simple stuff that just worked back then and really didn't need to be changed, implemented back. At the end of the day, there is nothing to lose. There is no "It could kill the player base" because there is no player base. 

I'd like to see literally just about everything from 2013-2016 FL back on the server. It was a much better time as well. 

In the future as well, we should really do something more than suggestions to approve and implemented an update to the game mode. I don't understand how to elaborate on this, but just an extra measure to ensure the community actually wants the update so every form of player (Aggressive and passive) are satisfied.
The following 1 user Likes Rossi's post:
  • Nacreas