Fearless Forums
We're leaving. Here's why. - Printable Version

+- Fearless Forums (https://fearlessrp.net)
+-- Forum: Community & Server Information (https://fearlessrp.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Newcomers (https://fearlessrp.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+---- Forum: Archive (https://fearlessrp.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=482)
+---- Thread: We're leaving. Here's why. (/showthread.php?tid=15992)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

RE: We're leaving. Here's why. - [FFC]Pacman - 07-06-2012

I always see shadow on counter and i have to ask him to restart the servers or like help the server out

RE: We're leaving. Here's why. - Ms. Mudpie - 07-06-2012

My opinion on what needs to happen:

1. Limit prop usage to donators and/or trusted members (NOT members who have more than x hours on the server). This will put an end to prop pushing and such, and also to the dreaded "Buffer Overflow" and "Reliable Snapshot Overflow" errors.
2. Take time picking admins and actually let the community (that means non-admins) have a say. Just because the admins like them, doesn't necessarily mean the community will feel the same way. Make sure the person in question is actually reliable and has good judgement. Putting an admin on trial won't change anything - as soon as they are promoted to full admin, their efforts decline significantly.

The main argument for admins not being responsive is that they "have a life" which they "must attend to". Yes, that is true, but part of the responsibilities of being a server administrator is that you must be prepared to give up time to look after the server. It doesn't matter if you have the best judgement or you're very well-respected - if you're never even on the server, you might as well not be an admin.

As for the prop usage limitation, the response that always comes from it is "ERMAGHERD I HAET DAT BCUZ I NOT DONATER". The problem here is similar to everyone winning the lottery at the same time - instead of one lucky person earning seemingly infinite quantities of money, everyone would just get a few quid and walk away disappointed. When a 50-man server allows every player to spawn ~20 props (I don't know the actual prop limit, so I'm using 20 as an example), that's 1,000 props in total, the majority of which will be moving around. The Source engine isn't designed to have so many props moving around, or even staying still, at once, especially on a horribly optimised map such as rp_evocity_v2d (the Engine has trouble rendering the city area itself even without all the user-spawned props due to so many things being visible at once). Obviously, all this is going to create errors and cause the server to become incredibly unstable. This is what causes the server to crash every five minutes (if we could just ignore the DDoSing little pansy in his adoptive parents' basement for ten fucking seconds).

When you're new to Garry's Mod and you join a server that allows players to freely spawn props, the first thing you do is - you guessed it - spawn props. On a roleplay server, spawning props isn't number one on the list, but new players won't catch on with that (there's an achievement for playing on a non-sandbox server, and roleplay servers are often second on the list of popular gamemodes - it's an easy achievement to get, and everyone likes getting achievements!) so their first thought will be "hey, why don't I impress everyone by building a giant <insert phallic object here>". This leads to either people getting annoyed, the new player discovering he can push players around with his invention and all hell breaking loose, or, rarely, an admin coming along, explaining to the newbie that what he is doing is wrong and that nobody likes getting pushed around by a giant artificial cock and balls, and that next time he will be punished (apparently, admins tend to ignore the second and third part and instead just ban the player on the spot). This leads back to the problem with the admins - I don't know from experience since I'm a good boy who doesn't get into trouble (usually), but the vast majority of the community has complained at least once that admins aren't explaining the problem (and you wonder why there are so many fucking unban requests being posted daily). It doesn't take long to explain: "Can you please stop doing that" is ALL IT TAKES. You will get people who won't listen and will instead try to ignore you, and that's what banning and kicking was made for: people who WON'T COMPLY, rather than those who simply DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY'RE DOING. If these points are acted on, Fearless will be a much better place.

I guarantee it.

ADHD version: Limit prop usage to donators and trusted members, have admins listen to players; have admins explain before banning; fewer props = no more crash, snapshot and buffer error be gone, no more prop kill and spam.

EDIT: Looking back at the last two paragraphs, I realised I may have strayed from the topic in question a little. But my point still stands; I'm stating my overall opinion on the community in its current state and the whole thing about prop limitations can still be meaningfully linked to what is wrong with the server (because, well, that's basically what it is all about).

RE: We're leaving. Here's why. - Outcast61 - 07-06-2012

I liked the post because it's very true (getting banned for nothing). I recently got banned for GETTING cdm'd. No admin pulled me over, just insta banned.

RE: We're leaving. Here's why. - Zealord - 07-06-2012

(07-06-2012, 06:43 AM)Vauld Wrote: I made a thread like this a while back, got a few false promises and nothing ended up happening. I'm glad to see someone else has brought this to the attention of the admins once again.. It's normally the people from old FL that has the most issues with the current set-up right now, because about a year ago, we had no where near as much issues. But regardless, things change. I just hope that Soul keeps his word and this thread isn't disregarded, as similar threads have been disregarded before. Also, goodbye! Really terrible to see you guys leave.. Good RP'ing with you all.

This ^

RE: We're leaving. Here's why. - Haarek - 07-06-2012

So the way you solve it is by adding more admins, so all the admins can have the time to talk to the guy they are about to ban, while you can trust the other admins in taking care of the next player who needs help or propkills.

EDIT: Or having more admins on at the sime time.

No, just having reliable and active admins. Admins who are willing to spend time on the server helping players. And by "helping players" I don't mean "being AFK" like some of them tend to do when they're actually on the server.

RE: We're leaving. Here's why. - Jacob1029 - 07-06-2012

..and admins who talk before ban. I think a lot of people can agree with that.

RE: We're leaving. Here's why. - equal - 07-06-2012

(07-06-2012, 06:01 PM)Jacob1029 Wrote: ..and admins who talk before ban. I think a lot of people can agree with that.

Everyone clearly does, because all of the posts in here have than single line in common.

Also I could not agree more to everything Jeremy just wrote.
Thumbs up.

RE: We're leaving. Here's why. - Holdem - 07-06-2012

(07-06-2012, 12:50 PM)Jeremy Wrote: 2. Take time picking admins

I guess we'll have to change the way we pick them already, no more picking a name out of a hat as we dance around a fireplace signing "Disco inferno".

I hope you're happy, you're destroying our traditions.

That's what it looks like from here.

I didn't even know who half the admins were when they were first promoted; and even when others explained who these people were, when I asked what valuable contributions the person in question had made, their reaction was the vague equivalent of lazily shrugging and mumbling "I 'unno". The decisions might as well have been based off a few rounds of drunken darts where instead of a dart board you've got the names of some random members written on the side that's facing the wall.